Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opportunity for David L.
look at it this way,,the guys that own the old site don't give a crap anymore,,,David and Brian are avid Karters......support the karters...

David ,Brian,, send check ti my home address,,,
It's a shame stuff like this has to happen. The web archive is a beautiful thing. There is so much info there that is irreplaceable. Thanks for all the hard work Dave!!!!
  " If you don't like the way I'm living, Just leave this long haired country boy alone"
GW.......well most of the core group signed up here when Dave told us he was going to start using it.....so it's
a brand new season......so time to break it in.....see if it's worthy of breaking......I mean we don't really race, but we do go
like those  "Bat's from H%^$*& LL" ......Big Grin !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-24-2017, 04:23 PM)David Luciani Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 02:44 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: Dave, Thanks for this timely thread.   I have used and enjoyed your work at the vintagekarts forums for a long time, and am very pleased at the layout of this VintageKartForum.    Although I don't post real often, I read the posts every day, and have for years.   I used the Vintagekarts forum SEARCH function regularly while working on my karts to get ideas on how to do various things.   Invaluable to restorers.    Now I am lost.  

So do I understand that all the old forum content is lost to us users, unless Kevin gets it back up?  

If Kevin's site, specificly the forum, does not come up soon, I'd suggest all the old forum faithfuls move communications to a sustainable site, preferably this site, and start building a new repository of information.   I understand there is GREAT effort and time required to maintain these sites.   I would be up to a membership charge if it would insure a good permanent source of information for the hobby.  ...Ron

Ron,
for strictly research go here for the last copy wayback made of the forum. you can't ad info but you can get any info that was posted up to that recording.
this is not the copy we have but it is another venue that keeps copies of many forums.
https://web.archive.org/web/201609112353...com/forum/
hope this helps
dave l

Thanks Dave, that will help me a lot....
Gary, check is in the mail. Don't worry it will show eventually.
WHAT CHECK?????

Brian, did we sign an cash endorsement deal with gary W that i forgot about??
i thought it was for a case of redds.hopefully gary doesn't try cashing the check as i already spend our last money on a case of redds. of course gary w will have to come get it we are outta cash.he'd better hurry or it might get gone . i'm mighty thirsty and i'm off the antibiotics on saturday!!

dave l
Dave don't fear, if he gets the redds first he may forget all about the check if we are lucky. Starting that upgrade now so be prepared for a short downtime.
I suspect the old site will never go up since personalities seemed to have clashed. If that's the case, it's a shame since years of facts will be lost, and many of the old timers are probably gone and with the site gone, there knowledge is gone with it. The copy is some help but unless searches are possible to reach this old stuff.. it may be lost for practical purposes.  I did not read all that's above, so maybe I missed something but the fact that you, David, was forced out.. that says alot. Reminds me of the Beach Boys.. Brian Wilson was thrown out by Mike Love, now Love is the only original member. He's a shxt. Brian and Al Jardine perform under another name.  

maybe I'm missing something.. I am a new member.. a year or so.        I'm bob k
(01-25-2017, 04:44 PM)bob klau Wrote: I suspect the old site will never go up since personalities seemed to have clashed. If that's the case, it's a shame since years of facts will be lost, and many of the old timers are probably gone and with the site gone, there knowledge is gone with it. The copy is some help but unless searches are possible to reach this old stuff.. it may be lost for practical purposes.  I did not read all that's above, so maybe I missed something but the fact that you, David, was forced out.. that says alot. Reminds me of the Beach Boys.. Brian Wilson was thrown out by Mike Love, now Love is the only original member. He's a shxt. Brian and Al Jardine perform under another name.  

maybe I'm missing something.. I am a new member.. a year or so.        I'm bob k

Bob,
not really thrown out so much as just pushed away. i truely feel there was no agenda just a mis understanding. i suppose i could have made another call but i decided that God had sent a hint to focus on the forum i actually have title to and grow vintage karting with it.
as far as the old site rebooting it has been a while. the error code does indicate a coding problem deep in the software. but kevin g has some chops in coding and i do believe he'll get it fixed. sadly without a new platform sooner or later it won't return.
brian and i and others have endlessly discussed what to do to save the info.
a static copy was a start.
if gary e., the owner lets us we can redo the forum info into a modern platform.
it'll take a long time but if we get the info it's doable.

i am gonna send kevin a query tonight for an update and possibly if i feel it's needed call gary. it ain't over yet.

on that note a little mcbob update.
we are attempting to rescue what's savable from his site. sadly he pulled the plug before we knew so much of the info was lost.
he did give us permission to republish it and if we succed i am gonna ask him to be the moderator but we'll cover the hosting costs.

dave l.
Dave everything has to have a beginning, a middle, and an end......so maybe this is our "New Beginning" ....it all depends on those supporting Vintage Karting ......the old Forum was , now this Forum is, so time to move on ....lots of work .

I hope everyone participates and spreads the word ......support or we'll have to endure another lost community and resource !

I was working on developing a site for history ....as the old site seemed to just quit without any new material being added, but since Vintage Karting is such a small niche .....it's better to put the effort into one good working site ,

I feel that's what was happening with the Forum that's now missing.....and why your site here was not thriving , just like the other Association Websites, even the VKA Facebook site lacks the numbers ...although it does move along with lots of new material of interest .

What we need is a solid website supported by the majority and independent enough to tell it like it is.......in my opinion that's what is now needed......Dave was doing a good job and if Brian can keep this place working it will thrive !

Plus we can post more then one image per post......kool ! Big Grin