Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opportunity for David L.
Seeing as how Kevin's site is still dead it seems as this would be a good time to promote this site on Facebook etc.  Thoughts?
(01-23-2017, 10:59 AM)Paul F Wrote: Seeing as how Kevin's site is still dead it seems as this would be a good time to promote this site on Facebook etc.  Thoughts?
well paul,
i have mixed feeling about that.
the vintage kart site and us aren't supposed to be competing it's about growing the hobby.
that said there is the issue of them not upgrading their site, eventually the forum software will become un usable over there because code keeps evolving.
When that happens it'll be lights out. my biggest fear about any upgrade is the loss of the info we all worked so hard to put there but we do have a copy so there is that .

anyway,
i will go on facebook and post this site is live maybe it'll be seen the wrong way but that is not my intent.

dave l.
Dave, when you say "we have a copy of the other one" - exactly what does that mean?  How much content of the other site?  From day 1 to most current when it went off line week before last?  Will others have access to it's wealth of knowledge  even if it becomes in-active?  Dear Lord, I don't want to loose that site!  What would it take to obtain the site from Kevin (or whoever it belongs to)?  Is it a money thing?  Would he have to be bought out?  Would you be so kind as to explain to us about this "copy" and accessing it in the future if we loose the other one?  It would be very helpful to us hardliners that can't live without our daily "fix"!
(01-23-2017, 04:34 PM)Kevin S. Brundick Wrote: Dave, when you say "we have a copy of the other one" - exactly what does that mean?  How much content of the other site?  From day 1 to most current when it went off line week before last?  Will others have access to it's wealth of knowledge  even if it becomes in-active?  Dear Lord, I don't want to loose that site!  What would it take to obtain the site from Kevin (or whoever it belongs to)?  Is it a money thing?  Would he have to be bought out?  Would you be so kind as to explain to us about this "copy" and accessing it in the future if we loose the other one?  It would be very helpful to us hardliners that can't live without our daily "fix"!

Ok first Kevin G. is an administrator with full access. that means he can go into the server area and change major stuff.
i was a forum admin. that means i can change stuff in forum layout but can't touch or fix server issues. since i pissed off the owner Gary E. i can't even do that anymore. in fact my membership was deleted.
rather than being pissed i accepted the result.

the forum is actually owned by Gary E. i did discuss the forum with him once.
as he knows very little about the internet it didn't go well.
without going into details he decided Brian and i were trying to steal his forum. at least that's what i took from the conversation.
i assured him it was not true.
anyway he assured me he would keep the forum lit as long as possible.

on the forum copy.
there was a copy of the forum made about 03/2016.
by making that copy a series of events was set off that ended with me getting bounced. but the copy was made so most of the forum is preserved.
sadly it is literally a copy. it is unmodifiable and alot like reading a book.
that said it's better than being lost.

it is my hope that should gary ever decide to leave the net expenses behind he will give us the oppurtunity to copy a live version into new software.
that's all i got
dave l.
Dave Thanks for the lengthy explanation of what went down. I always wondered. I can't believe you got deleted for all the good hard work you did and on top of that making a backup for the just in case.... On that note I converted my computers to RAID 1 just so that I can hot swap as I've been bit a couple of times.
I agree it is a great opportunity. It would be super to have this forum more active with other forum's members.
When one forum is down us forum fanatics could still chat. Check both forums most days. Wish more guys new about and or used this one also. My 2 cents worth.
(01-23-2017, 11:41 PM)DEAN KANOCZ Wrote: I agree it is a great opportunity. It would be super to have this forum more active with other forum's members.
When one forum is down us forum fanatics could still chat. Check both forums most days. Wish more guys new about and or used this one also. My 2 cents worth.

dean,
guys posting and more content is something we strive for all the time in this forum.
it'll come eventually. remember brian and i only launched this less than a year ago.
we have about 220 members and grow a little every month.
to be honest i've left off adding content because i may revamp the whole thing shortly to an even better format. of course brian is the main tech and he's not nearly as ready to redo the whole thing.

anyway i am promoting it on facebook a little and perhaps will post on the VKA forum.
honestly i'm wondering what has happened to the repairs at vintage karts.
but usually right when i panic Kevin G comes through.

a little factoid about forum development. theres a site that measures how well you are doing to make a forum grow on the net.
this one has good numbers on many things but needs help on others.
i am looking into how these mods and repairs need to be done.
one issue is the phone appt. is not working right. the funny part is i don't use a phone on the internet so i would've never known without this test your forum site.

on that note anyone having ANY issues please do tell us and we'll work to fix them.
dave l.
Dave, Thanks for this timely thread.   I have used and enjoyed your work at the vintagekarts forums for a long time, and am very pleased at the layout of this VintageKartForum.    Although I don't post real often, I read the posts every day, and have for years.   I used the Vintagekarts forum SEARCH function regularly while working on my karts to get ideas on how to do various things.   Invaluable to restorers.    Now I am lost.  

So do I understand that all the old forum content is lost to us users, unless Kevin gets it back up?  

If Kevin's site, specificly the forum, does not come up soon, I'd suggest all the old forum faithfuls move communications to a sustainable site, preferably this site, and start building a new repository of information.   I understand there is GREAT effort and time required to maintain these sites.   I would be up to a membership charge if it would insure a good permanent source of information for the hobby.  ...Ron
(01-24-2017, 02:44 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: Dave, Thanks for this timely thread.   I have used and enjoyed your work at the vintagekarts forums for a long time, and am very pleased at the layout of this VintageKartForum.    Although I don't post real often, I read the posts every day, and have for years.   I used the Vintagekarts forum SEARCH function regularly while working on my karts to get ideas on how to do various things.   Invaluable to restorers.    Now I am lost.  

So do I understand that all the old forum content is lost to us users, unless Kevin gets it back up?  

If Kevin's site, specificly the forum, does not come up soon, I'd suggest all the old forum faithfuls move communications to a sustainable site, preferably this site, and start building a new repository of information.   I understand there is GREAT effort and time required to maintain these sites.   I would be up to a membership charge if it would insure a good permanent source of information for the hobby.  ...Ron

Ron,
for strictly research go here for the last copy wayback made of the forum. you can't ad info but you can get any info that was posted up to that recording.
this is not the copy we have but it is another venue that keeps copies of many forums.
https://web.archive.org/web/201609112353...com/forum/
hope this helps
dave l
It took some time for the way back..."Vintage Karts Forum" to load, but it did come up, but many functions are not coming up and you get one of these :

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Better then nothing, because the old Forum may not come back....it needs restoring or maybe a new "Clone Forum"
with fresh tubing and seals Big Grin !