Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ebay pile o parts decent value
so heres a unicorn on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132068288075?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

it's a really decent pile o parts currently @ $1800.00
with the palmini stuff in the pile that's actually not a terrible price. but imho any reseller will have his work cut out for him to make a decent profit.
for a regular guy just after a few parts theres good break even potential if you don't take all the best bits. regardless nice to see theres still stuff out there.
dave l.
Well,it does look like a great pile of very early kart parts and you can easily see 2 Palmini hydraulic brake units,3 Palmini chain guards,4 Hands front wheels,several GoPower intakes,lots of Homelite gaskets ect,early Dart Super K aluminium steering wheel,2 early Dart front axles,nice aluminium tank,plus a lot of other nice stuff so just the obvious parts are worth the current amount to someone who is restoring an early Bug or Dart kart and wants the correct parts.

NOW,let's spoil somebody's party............. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile .........................................Look at the 3 rectangular boxes to the left in the first pic...............................................................wanna know what they are???................................Homelite #A57762......................................................................................What's that??.............................................................................................................Stroker kits   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
 kinda makes you wonder what else is unidentified in that pile huh?

The part that interests me is the Mac stuffer laying by the Rupp steering wheel.  I have never seen one with the side piecs cast on like this one has? Wondering what the idea behind that was?
dang Carl,
now i gotta go sell blood or something so i can bid!!!
even though homelites are rarer than hens teeth if that info gets out the bidding will get intense.

dave l.
(01-22-2017, 10:42 AM)David Luciani Wrote: dang Carl,
now i gotta go sell blood or something so i can bid!!!
even though homelites are rarer than hens teeth if that info gets out the bidding will get intense.

dave l.

Dave,Read my edited post...............any ideas?
i don't have that exact stuffer but the idea would have been to eliminate as much open area as possible in the crankcase. i have a few aftermarket engine specific stuffers for mcculloch. they only fit the engine number cast into the base of the stuffer. mcculloch also had engine specific stuffers for some saws.

stuffing theory is that you want as little room as possible in the crankcase so the fuel charge keeps its velocity.
when expansion chambers came into karting stuffing became un necessary.
rather than the fuel being pushed into the chamber by velocity (open header) the pipe draws the fuel into the combustion area with vacumn.

circle cranks are also part of the whole stuffing theory. a really well built motor back in 59/60 would have ALOT of epoxy custom fit into the internal crankcase areas that normally are open.

oddly enough i have been told more than once a flat plate on short twisty sprint tracks is better than any stuffing at all.
on longer tracks the stuffing becomes important. have never tested that idea,

dave l
Makes sense it's just that I have never seen this particular style before. It seems like that extra piece is even designed to go around the bearing pocket,cool!
Dave,You (as a disassembler of chain saws) have surely come across some of the best "short track" stuffers McCulloch made,you probably just didn't know it,Lol! They were the flat embossed plates some of the saws used! I don't have any motors apart here to show you a pic of one but I'm sure you know what I mean
yeah that stuff is always fun to look at. I never have any real interest though as I never buy to flip parts. I'd rather only spend money on things that I need. I have no room or money for dead parts to lay around waiting for someone to buy them. It's what makes everyone different.
That stuffer in the eBay pile o parts looks like the early Mc5 stuffer Go Power made. Pop had one of Mac's very first Mc5's, and as soon as Go Power began spitting out those stuffers, they sent Pop one. I'll bet he spent three hours with Dremel and sandpaper getting that darn thing to fit into the engine. Of course, with the Mc5's limits, the stuffer did zero good. Pop shelved the engine, and as soon as Bob McCulloch called him to tell him that he was sending him a prototype of the new conversion kit to make the engine into an Mc6, he installed it. WOW! What a difference that made! He never got outrun by an AH-58 again. Ted
Interesting story. So what exactly did the conversion kit do?
(01-23-2017, 10:56 AM)Paul F Wrote: Interesting story.  So what exactly did the conversion kit do?

the conversion kit basically stroked the mc5. the mc5 had a 1.375 stroke.
the mc10 got a 1.5 stroke and was so much faster mcculloch made the mc5/6 with the same 1.5 stroke.
for those with mc5's mcculloch sold a back fit kit with a stroker piston crank and thicker gaskets to allow clearancing.

ted can explain better than me as he lived that era but it made the mccullochs pretty unstoppable after that.
the interesting part was that because the mc6 and mc10 had the same stroke mcculloch sales of the mc10 were not as good as expected. soooo mcculloch then stroked the mc10 to 1.675.
the mc10 block was too short so it too had to be shimmed.
shortly after that mc20 was born with a longer block.

dave l.