Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidewinder third bearing mount
I'm considering switching my Bucket Bug from a rear engine setup on a Margay gearbox to a sidewinder. I'm going to need a third bearing clutch setup. can anyone point me in the right direction?
What engine are you going to use? If a Mac or Foreign reed, it wont take much more than drilling holes or engine to make most any tbs doable.

Do you have original motor mount that bolts to frame?
(11-28-2022, 09:11 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: What engine are you going to use? If a Mac or Foreign reed, it wont take much more than drilling holes or engine to make most any tbs doable.

Do you have original motor mount that bolts to frame?

I'm using a Mac 91. The mount that I have is 2 plates. One bolts to the frame the other to the stuffer. The engine plate isn't wide enough to bolt the third bearing upright to it. I'll need an engine plate that extends out beyond the clutch.
You can take just about any third bearing plate then drill to fit your Mac stuffer. Ditch the old mount that was bolted to engine.
(11-29-2022, 08:17 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: You can take just about any third bearing plate then drill to fit your Mac stuffer. Ditch the old mount that was bolted to engine.

So it looks like nobody makes one for a Mac? Maybe I'll just fabricated my own engine plate and get the upright from Comet.
bill,
a whole bunch are made for mccullochs by different people. 
don't have the info in hand but the parts do exist.
d Cool
Dave L.
(11-12-2022, 09:55 AM)Bill Peck Wrote: I'm considering switching my Bucket Bug from a rear engine setup on a Margay gearbox to a sidewinder. I'm going to need a third bearing clutch setup. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lynn Haddock makes em.
Tony Severino makes em
Kirt Bennett makes em...kbennett@qiqplus.com
there ya go. 
thanx gary!
Big Grin
Dave L.
(11-30-2022, 03:28 PM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote:
(11-12-2022, 09:55 AM)Bill Peck Wrote: I'm considering switching my Bucket Bug from a rear engine setup on a Margay gearbox to a sidewinder. I'm going to need a third bearing clutch setup. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lynn Haddock makes em.
Tony Severino makes em
Kirt Bennett makes em...kbennett@qiqplus.com

Thanks. I'll check them out.
If the ones you find are really expensive, let me know. I built a bunch of them back in the Yamaha days. Macs never had them originally. The clutches were not so big and heavy at that time. It wasnt until the Horstman Disk clutches came out in the early 80's did the crank breakage become a more serious problem. Or a clutch flying off and hitting someone.

The first generation Horstman was big bulky and a very heavy three disk clutch. I had one of the originals. It was just too much to risk breaking a crank at the time. Somewhere around here are probably most of those old parts. That one was for a Mc 92 without keyway and left hand threads. There was also no provision for a third bearing support yet either.