Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power Products AH-47 DUAL
Everyone has encountered this before. At least once or likely many times in your life already. I was moving some junk around when the bottom of that one heavy box let go and all the parts hit the floor. For more than 15 years I have been putting off this one project. Either deciding to just toss out the left over parts or finally set aside some time to assemble one of the many possibilities. Instead of junk laying around taking up too much space.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4994]

So this was two days ago. Actually Sunday evening. I had just finished up helping a friend modify a 951 cc engine for one of his Seadoos. It is almost ready to drop back in the hull. Hopefully before summer ends. But that one month projected time frame last fall is just a little behind schedule. Only by 7 months and still counting.....

After he left, I was moving things around and cleaning up an area when that box let go. I pushed everything in a pile still undecided what to do with the parts. It would not take much to just fill up a trash can and carry it out to the dumpster.

One reason I had put a hold on this project is still needing to find a flywheel. The AH-47 engines have a couple of weaknesses. One is the reed petals have a tendency of breaking off. The engine does not digest these too well, so you find out the engine is locked up really tight. The reed plate for some reason is not intended to be rebuilt. The petals are permanently riveted to the plate. Other used ones I have are either hanging open or missing one petal.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5004]

These are the reed plates. Most of them the petals are hanging open too far. The one I thought looked good enough to use is missing a reed petal. The plate on right has the upper right side petal missing.

I ended up choosing a new reed plate from a much later model engine that was built with a lot of AH-58 parts. The only thing different on this plate was pulse hole location had to be altered. It was a vertical shaft engine with a shorter stroke and very detuned from the original AH-58. It also did not have reed stops, which may or not make any difference when the petal decides to eventually break. 

Another weakness is the flywheels are prone to cracking and splitting in two pieces. The particular engine in question managed a double trouble. Likely the reed broke, locked up the engine and caused the flywheel to split at the keyway. Or the flywheel could have been cracked all this time and I was none the wiser.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5005]

You can see the crack running from the tapered hole at the key slot all the way to outside diameter. Fortunately the shroud on these engines is fairly heavy duty and can keep the flywheel from doing any more damage than breaking in two pieces.

So two nights ago I went to the trouble to take an inventory of everything. It surprised me to find out I had already located a flywheel and tossed it in the box how many years ago?

The first night was just for separating the parts and choose the best pieces out of the lot. Then spend what seemed like forever cleaning them and making sure I had all of the correct screws, nuts and bolts.

Yesterday, I managed to assemble most of it together. The carburetor is a typical Tillotson like  used in the late 50's into the mid 60's. This engine could have either HL35, or HL-45 model. All of the ones used on most of the Power Products engines were basically the same. Most of the lower horsepower models have direct linkage for the carburetor. The larger ones have a governor to keep it from over reving and spinning the bigger chain too fast.

I prefer the gear reduction model chainsaws myself. Most of these use the larger 1/2 inch pitch chain that is hard to wear out. And getting rather hard to find.

So this morning I finished up the project and it actually fired up and runs great. Much easier to get started than some of my big Mac chainsaws.

Early this afternoon, I finished spray painting everything with a cheap HVLP gun. Just an hour ago I detailed the saw and then to final assembly. So you are seeing this saw while the paint is still drying.

So here are the pics of one finished project.

My DUAL bar David Bradley chainsaw.
 [Image: attachment.php?aid=4996]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4997]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4998]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4999]

Attached Files
.jpg   DSCF8767.JPG (Size: 1.64 MB / Downloads: 60)
.jpg   DSCF8766.JPG (Size: 1.24 MB / Downloads: 92)
.jpg   DSCF8768.JPG (Size: 1.22 MB / Downloads: 91)
.jpg   DSCF8769.JPG (Size: 1.25 MB / Downloads: 90)
.jpg   DSCF8770.JPG (Size: 1.28 MB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   DSCF8771.JPG (Size: 1.24 MB / Downloads: 87)
.jpg   DSCF8772.JPG (Size: 1.26 MB / Downloads: 68)
very nice.
but why the dual bar?
Dave L.
Hey Dave

I hate splitting wood. This model can mount a bar on either side of the gearbox. So I can cut biscuits out of larger diameter logs. Some of the older Mac saws are the same way, but if using two bars they sit closer together. On those I can cut cookies out of bigger logs One pass yields two drops.