Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
few years ago ....clone carbs
Steve, you put a Mac or a West Bend on that wheelchair? Please check your PM inbox here. Thanks.
I didn’t see any posts from Scott in the old thread and I am not sure if this is what you’re looking for, it is from 2017 and seems to hit on a similar topic you described above. It might not be it but here is the link anyway:

https://www.vintagekartforum.com/showthr...rb#pid5407

It can also be found by searching Tilly carb rebuild.
Low speed should be enlarged to .048 and the high at .042 (these are the orfice holes). The holes under the welsh are fine. I do drill out the holes in the floor of the carb where fuel feeds the needles to 1/8" gas or alky (however you don't need to for gas). Do not confuse these with the actual needle holes that are the orfice at the needle tip. I raise the fulcrum arm to about .030 for a starter setting. The dump tube as we will call it is fine with the check ball or the flat plate as it comes for gas. I replace the throttle shaft with the 13-1592 tillotson part. If you have a carb that has one shaft side that is tight I have taken a drill bit that is correct on the the other side and put it in the drill and turned it backward with sandpaper wrapped around it to remove the sharpness of the flutes so it acts as a ream instead of a drill. These carbs are perfect every time when this is done.
I grabbed a lot of the clone carbs back a few years ago. The holes sizes are all over the place and some way too small.

I do have specs on just about every carburetor that was legal for stock classes. Not just the no-go sizes, but actual drilled holes sizes. I have also converted several early chainsaw carburetors over to use on kart engines. I now know exactly how much bigger the carb body can be opened up before it turns to scrap.

The Power Products HL-66 model is what was bored out in the Bench Racers Journal to play with and use on the Clintons.

I did a write up on another site about 10 years ago. There is a more detailed article in the works covering most of the early model carbs from the HL-1 model up to the current production ones. It is not too far from being finished and ready to post.
terry, as usual i look forward to seeing what you write up. 
always top shelf.

btw need another chapter insert in your book am getting antsy waiting. Big Grin
d Cool
Dave L.