Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable electric starter power source
Looking for advice on power source for electric starter.  Don’t know if I should buy an ordinary 12v car battery and use a battery tender on it between uses. Or maybe one of those portable jump starters, for example Noco makes several models. Appreciate any words of wisdom, thanks!
Just go to Tractor Supply and get a small motorcycle or garden tractor battery that's as strong as your starter will accommodate. I disconnect my cables between events, throw on the old OLD charger Ron Cubel gave me and give a charge before an event. A battery tender does O.K also. I've had no trouble doing this. TJ
Thank you Mr Johnson, there is a Tractot supply only a few miles from me!
Steve, the last one I got was a "Huskee" by Exide. 360 cranking amps. It lasted three years plus, with the summer garage temps here in the 115 degree range. I didn't use a battery tender this time, mine went toes-up, though I DO disconnect the cables and keep the terminals clean. Also I use Coleman starters. They are a good quality unit. Exide is a good old brand. I remember my Pop selling them at his service station in the early 1950's. Ted
(06-21-2021, 08:56 PM)Steve Mertes Wrote: Looking for advice on power source for electric starter.  Don’t know if I should buy an ordinary 12v car battery and use a battery tender on it between uses. Or maybe one of those portable jump starters, for example Noco makes several models. Appreciate any words of wisdom, thanks!

Hi Steve,
  I have used my take outs from my cars for years.They do not run down like the smaller batteries. Just make sure you use heavy cables.I use welding cable.