Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUG Stinger front brakes
Hey Gang,

I'm looking for a set of Stinger front brakes.  I have the calipers but I need the spindles and the hub/disc set up that BUG designed to work with the Nylite wheels.  I've been researching other Karts and can possibly make the wheel hub deal myself but it would really help to at least get the spindles.  Let me know what might be lurking out there and let's see if we can make a match.

Thanks,

Robert M.
robertwmorris@mac.com
Robert, you need to narrow it down. There were a number of different steering configs on Stingers. Tony Severino's beautiful single and my C Open dual had no front porch and were front steer karts. many Stingers had front porches and were rear steer. My big C dual had dual rear 175 Airheart calipers, and hauled down very well indeed. Ted

Attached Files
.jpg   Picture 074.jpg (Size: 412.75 KB / Downloads: 13)
Thanks Ted!

This would be for the modern version on the Stinger built by K&P.  I'm going to bet it's dead nuts to an early 70's B-Model.  This was one of the vintage racing chassis built by them before they closed and I just picked it up this past week.  The brake spindle I'm thinking of looks like it will mount a 150 caliper on the front.  It's what Greg Gouveia used when he built that amazing twin that sold via Auction a few years back.  Here's a pick of the Kart and also the front end of Greg's Kart.

Thanks!

RM

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4472.jpeg (Size: 3.35 MB / Downloads: 27)
.png   Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 12.32.27 PM.png (Size: 2.92 MB / Downloads: 24)
Mine was the modern version as well. A '72/73 model Even then you could get the front porch/rear steer or no front porch/front steer. I have shorter legs, so I did not need a front porch. I'm aware of the early sixties version, first built by Bug Engineering for McCulloch, then by Bug as their own rear engine Stinger. I used to sell Bug from '58 through '63, and I drove a '62 Stinger in A Super. When I wanted the dual, I called Faye and asked her to build one for me.
Since yours has the front porch and rear steer, there should someone with spindles out there. The ones with a porch are more common. Did you look into the possibility of second generation Wasp spindles fitting? Tom Pierson, before his death, was much into using as many parts as he could from early models. My '61 Wasp had '60 Wasp engine mounts and a couple other pieces from the earlier kart. You have to look at things carefully. Some Bubs had kingpin inclination, some did not. Here's my '73 from the front, before it was even run. We did a full mod on both engines begore it ever saw the track. It was a fun handful! Ted
.jpg   Picture 063.jpg (Size: 385.58 KB / Downloads: 26)
That’s a bitchin Kart Ted...

Here’s the parts I’m looking for.  I might have luck at Terry’s this week but we will see what he has.

But if anyone has these parts and they can let go of them please let me know.

Cheers,

RM

Attached Files
.jpeg   B5809D21-71E2-4A02-867E-D812F704D227.jpeg (Size: 124.16 KB / Downloads: 30)
.jpeg   088ECB8F-9946-4DA1-AA9F-98B9AE2B64FF.jpeg (Size: 251.87 KB / Downloads: 26)
.jpeg   C15C023F-63FD-4CDA-8559-E733FC8742BF.jpeg (Size: 424.32 KB / Downloads: 24)
You may just have to add longer axles and caliper brackets to your old spindles. I've done that before. Use the old spindles to fabricate the jigs to align the new axle bolts and have a darn good welder! The brackets are easy. They can easily be water jet or laser cut from DXF files. We do CAD here and supply DXF's for our Albuquerque water jet shop. Ted