Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TBO GEEZER NEWS DAY 1
THE WEATHER PROVED TO BE AS GOOD AS FORECAST.  LOTS OF SUN AND PLEASANT TEMPS.  THE TURNOUT WAS MUCH BETTER THAN I EXPECTED.  FORTUNATELY, THERE WEREN'T ANY FABULOUSLY EXPENSIVE ITEMS I COULDN'T DO WITH.  THE WALLET DAMAGE SO FAR IS MORE REASONABLE THAN USUAL.  HOPEFULLY, NOTHING OVERWHELMING SHOWS UP TOMORROW.

MR. MAX TORQUE WAS ON SCENE WITH GOOD DRAGGIN SKIN WISDOM AND NECESSARY PARTS.  THERE WERE A NUMBER OF B & C OPEN KARTS.  SOME OF THE DRIVERS APPEARED NEW AT THE TWIN ENGINE GAME WITH LOTS OF SPINNING AROUND.  SOME OF IT WAS CLEARLY DUE TO RUNNING FAR TOO NARROW REAR TIRES.  MOST OF IT WAS OPERATOR ERROR AS USUAL.

THE USUAL CHICKEN FINGER LUNCH WAS SERVED, BUT NO SOFT DRINKS WERE PROVIDED.  THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I KNOW OF WHEN THE LUNCH WAS SERVED DRY.  SOME WARNING ON THIS CHANGE WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD IDEA.  

THE WEATHERMEN HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON SUNDAY'S WEATHER.   ONE CALLS FOR POSSIBLE SHOWERS AROUND 2PM.  ANOTHER SAYS THINGS WILL BE CLEAR UNTIL LATE EVENING.

SMOKEY
http://rearenginekarts.com/phpbb3/viewto...f=1&t=5062
The fact of no refreshments was posted on the REAR forum by Rob Voska and Bob Kurkowski, both on Aug 12th and on Aug 20th. Read the above URL.
There was a bit of a F/U last year, and the decision was made not to bring drinks. I just ten minutes ago got off the phone with Bob Kurkowski, and Bob said that, despite the epidemic and the fear on people's parts, the turnout was surprisingly good. A number of the usual guys could not make it, mostly due to the virus, but the two greats, Al Klusman and Jack Canady, DID make the event. I wish I could have been there. My health and financial state have severely limited my karting. I may not even be able to go to the Tucson run in November.
I will bet that those who DID go had the usual fun weekend. Big Grin  Ted
FORTUNATELY, THE OPTIMISTIC WEATHERMAN WAS RIGHT.  THE WEATHER DID NOT INTERFERE WITH DAY 2 OF THE TBO.  THE TURNOUT (LIKE OTHER TBOS) WAS MUCH LIGHTER FOR THE LAST DAY.

ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING DEVELOPMENTS WAS A REALLY SHARP B-OPEN KART PUT TOGETHER BY SOME MODERN ERA KART RACERS.  THEY BROUGHT A KART THAT LOOKED SURPRISINGLY LIKE AN SAE SPIDER.  GARY W., PAPA SMURF, AND OTHERS HAVE COMMISSIONED THEM TO BUILD SOME ACTUAL SPIDER FRAMES TO BUILD SOME EARLY DAY SAES.

THE B-OPEN THEY BROUGHT WAS A SCREAMER THAT STUCK LIKE GLUE TO THE TRACK.  THE WHEEL MAN HAD LOTS OF SPRINT CAR, MODERN KART, EXPERIENCE AND REALLY PUT ON A SMOOTH RUN.  MR. MAX TORQUE EVEN COMPLIMENTED THE PERFORMANCE OF THE REV GRIP CLUTCHES.  HE WAS KIND ENOUGH TO NOT POINT OUT THAT THE OIL CLUTCHES AREN'T LEGAL FOR B-OPEN REAR MACS.

MOST OF THE PARTS SELLERS DEPARTED ON DAY ONE.  DAY 2 WAS MOSTLY BENCH RACING, WATCHING ON TRACK PERFORMANCE, AND RESULTED IN RARE ZERO DAMAGE TO MY WALLET.  

SMOKEY