Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro/Engineer Wildfire guru
Ted;

If you type in "Certificate Trust File" in an internet browser, it says some versions of windows mistakenly identifies .stl files as .ctl files.  It says the .stl file is still intact and workable, but just identified incorrectly.   Hope this is of some help.

Bob Alexander
Thanks, Bob. I actually went in and unchecked the box that disallowed the correct file extension. It now lists the file as .stl, but if I do a "properties" on the file, it still says it's a CTL file. I know ZERO about file management, so I still don't know if that file will 3D print or not. Ted
(08-20-2020, 09:43 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Thanks, Bob. I actually went in and unchecked the box that disallowed the correct file extension. It now lists the file as .stl, but if I do a "properties" on the file, it still says it's a CTL file. I know ZERO about file management, so I still don't know if that file will 3D print or not. Ted

Ted;

Can you send it to me?  I will run it through my postprocessor and see.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. I will fire up the old computer in a couple hours and send the STL to you. Ted
If I were making a new WB-820 rod I'd try to duplicate the H-beam rods Fred Carrillo made for Christensen Engineering which are still the best 820 rods ever made even if he did use hollow dowels and 12 point 10-36 rod bolts.

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 8.11.08 PM.png (Size: 658.11 KB / Downloads: 14)
Tom, we basically built on the Carrillo Mac rod design. You sent me pix of this rod a long time ago, and I just expanded on it. It's the "H" beam style, but "waisted" in the middle like the Mac Carrillo rod. I still think Carrillo had the right idea. What we need is someone to fracture the cap. If I can't find someone to do this, I will go back to my original hollow dowel design. The hollow dowels aren't that easy to find these days. If I can fracture, I will use the 12-28 socket heads on the West Bend rod. There's plenty of room for them, and you can still get them. I made a model of the 820 crankpin and crankcase interior, and everything clears well. Thanks! Ted
Based on these two short videos, the magic seems to be in the "scoring," and the fracturing is the easy part. Hmmm. Let us know how it works out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlVrDJBiqd4&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABxrZfHaMM
Hi Ted
I haven't been on the forum for a long time & just saw your post. I used Pro-E for 23 yrs doing aerospace stuff (the last version I used was Creo2) , BUT I retired a yr ago so my memory may be faulty. The way I recall doing what you want is: Create a new work directory. Copy the part & dwg you want to that directory. Erase memory. Open the part first, rename (including any parameters you have filled out the fields in). Then open the drawing, and the new dwg # should be on it. Double check the model associated with it is the new one. Then rename the dwg.
Hi, Bruce. I thank you. Next time I fire up the old Pro computer, I'm going to try to do that. As for making the Mac 101 rod into the West Bend rod, I just did things the hard way. Copied and modded the Mac rod to make an 820/610 one and did the drawing over again from scratch. Thank goodness we'd decided not to use GD&T, since most of the machine shops we use aren't Y-14.5 conversant. It's been many years since I took the GD&T course at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. I still have the manuals and the knowledge, but both are tucked away and would have to be dug out! I was a contract guy for my last 17 years of design engineering work, so I only got to use Pro/E for a few years. I used Unigraphics II for a lot of years, then Intergraph IEMS for quite a long time at Kennedy Space Center. I was even forced to do MicroStation 2D at Peter Paul candy factory for a few months. I just couldn't take any more 2D drawing. I was at Sandia National Labs for five years where we used Pro/E on DOD/DOE satellites. The last version I used at Sandia was Wildfire 5. It's not a bad system, but when it sits for months between projects, one has a bit of a warm-up period! It's fun going back to build fun projects. Thank you again. Ted
Big Grin 
(10-09-2020, 10:46 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Hi, Bruce. I thank you. Next time I fire up the old Pro computer, I'm going to try to do that. As for making the Mac 101 rod into the West Bend rod, I just did things the hard way. Copied and modded the Mac rod to make an 820/610 one and did the drawing over again from scratch. Thank goodness we'd decided not to use GD&T, since most of the machine shops we use aren't Y-14.5 conversant. It's been many years since I took the GD&T course at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. I still have the manuals and the knowledge, but both are tucked away and would have to be dug out! I was a contract guy for my last 17 years of design engineering work, so I only got to use Pro/E for a few years. I used Unigraphics II for a lot of years, then Intergraph IEMS for quite a long time at Kennedy Space Center. I was even forced to do MicroStation 2D at Peter Paul candy factory for a few months. I just couldn't take any more 2D drawing. I was at Sandia National Labs for five years where we used Pro/E on DOD/DOE satellites. The last version I used at Sandia was Wildfire 5. It's not a bad system, but when it sits for months between projects, one has a bit of a warm-up period! It's fun going back to build fun projects. Thank you again. Ted

Ted, I thought about it some more & realized I gave you a bum steer- The drawing has to be up in the new directory before you open and rename the part- then erase memory, go to the dwg and it should reading the new part #; then rename the dwg. I worked at Bendix Aerospace (later merged w/Honeywell Aero) for 41 yrs designing E/M components for Mil space vehicles (oops, that missile's coming straight at your house- but I'm pretty much definitely sure I didn't work on that one). We used ANSI Y-14.5 & GD&T on the dwgs, but I had the feeling that on some of the stuff, the machine shop guy probably looked at it & said 'BS to that GD&T crap, I know what they want!' I miss the CAD work but not the corporate crapola. Take care. Loved that purple Swoopster of yours.