Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting the record straight. West Bend 820
you mentioned that. I did not.
I dont know how this started, since it was removed, but last year I built a sportsman kart with a ives engine ran the hartman clutch set up and could not win a race. So I had a builder build me an 820 went to the first event and I still can’t win so, I laugh about it and hope I have some fun because thats what’s important. Not a plastic trophy.
I'd like to know why stock port 820's with standard thick ring pistons are so much faster today than when they were introduced. In early '62, when you could first actually buy an 820, the guys who bought them were thoroughly discouraged because an Mc7 or an Mc30 would give them a fit-singles or duals. When the guys caught onto the thin ring piston and more carb, it became a bit of a different story. When the ports were properly done, the modified 820's (S&S Oil, Akkerman, Etc.), they were finally turned loose. Stock for stock, the 820 wasn't really faster than the stock 100cc Macs. Why are they today? I'm not VKA, so I don't know how far you can go with port mods. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm seriously curious.TJ
(07-18-2020, 02:57 PM)ted johnson Wrote: I'd like to know why stock port 820's with standard thick ring pistons are so much faster today than when they were introduced.
Gee Ted its obvious. Just took those thicker rings that long to seat in.