Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kart id

.jpg   IMG_20200408_093756.jpg (Size: 1.09 MB / Downloads: 138) what kind of a chassis is this? it is offset . welded on seat braces. all weld look original. I find chassis that close but not exact. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_20200408_093808.jpg (Size: 1.03 MB / Downloads: 86)
(04-08-2020, 07:40 PM)Verle Berge Wrote: what kind of a chassis is this? it is offset . welded on seat braces. all weld look original. I find chassis that close but not exact. any help would be appreciated. thanks

I think it might be a BKS ? Does anybody have any info on them? I'm taking the assumption that the offset was for oval track racing?
(04-10-2020, 09:54 AM)Verle Berge Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 07:40 PM)Verle Berge Wrote: what kind of a chassis is this? it is offset . welded on seat braces. all weld look original. I find chassis that close but not exact. any help would be appreciated. thanks

I think it might be a BKS ? Does anybody have any info on them? I'm taking the assumption that the offset was for oval track racing?

Hello Verle!

That is NOT an oval racing kart. The off-set you refer to is simply so that the driver's weight and engine weight ba1ance out the kart to handle well. The driver on that chassis is only slightly pushed to the left as he sits on the kart to allow the engine on the right to have some room. The frame is the same shape both sides of the centerline. That is considered a straight rail kart for winding left and right road course tracks. Notice that the front tires are not as wide as the rear tires. It handles well that way.

A purpose built oval track kart is a VERY off-set monster. The left frame tube comes back toward the seat, under the driver's left thigh, then makes almost a half circle as it curves around your butt, then goes back to the rear axle bearing carrier. The driver's left hip is almost touching the left nerfbar so that the driver's weight is mostly on the left side tires. Those left side tires are as close to the frame as possible. That leaves plenty of room for the engine on the right, while the right side tires are pushed to the right of the frame as far out as they can get. It is common to see really wide tires on all four wheels on an oval kart. It is made to just turn left as fast as possible.

BKS... hmmm, Somebody might have an old WKA (World Karting Association) magazine from the 1980s to 1990s with an ad for BKS Karts. I am sure they went out of business years ago. I Googled them and nothing turned up.

I don't know what brand the chassis may be.

Kind Regards,

Joe
(05-03-2020, 10:12 PM)Joe Drabicki Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 09:54 AM)Verle Berge Wrote:

Hello Verle!

That is NOT an oval racing kart. The off-set you refer to is simply so that the driver's weight and engine weight ba1ance out the kart to handle well. The driver on that chassis is only slightly pushed to the left as he sits on the kart to allow the engine on the right to have some room. The frame is the same shape both sides of the centerline. That is considered a straight rail kart for winding left and right road course tracks. Notice that the front tires are not as wide as the rear tires. It handles well that way.

A purpose built oval track kart is a VERY off-set monster. The left frame tube comes back toward the seat, under the driver's left thigh, then makes almost a half circle as it curves around your butt, then goes back to the rear axle bearing carrier. The driver's left hip is almost touching the left nerfbar so that the driver's weight is mostly on the left side tires. Those left side tires are as close to the frame as possible. That leaves plenty of room for the engine on the right, while the right side tires are pushed to the right of the frame as far out as they can get. It is common to see really wide tires on all four wheels on an oval kart. It is made to just turn left as fast as possible.

BKS... hmmm, Somebody might have an old WKA (World Karting Association) magazine from the 1980s to 1990s with an ad for BKS Karts. I am sure they went out of business years ago. I Googled them and nothing turned up.

I don't know what brand the chassis may be.

Kind Regards,

Joe

I found a picture on pinterest that was exact that  claimed it was a bill's kart shop chassie made in Illinois. thanks Joe for all the info.My local track is a road course so that's good news.