Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAD software for personal use??
Can someone tell me what hardness aluminum is used to make these head gaskets.
T0 Temper is what I've used. 1100 Alloy. Dead soft copper is also a good option.
All true stuff!

As others have said, for anything 2D, the defacto standard is ".dxf."  Originally dxf was an AutoCAD thing, but now pretty much any CAD software can output a dxf, and that's what any laser / plasma / water-jet / flame cutting shop will want.

File exchange for 3D for machining isn't quite as clear-cut.  Best to ask your favorite shop(s).
These days the .STEP format seems to be the most universally acceptable.

Alum 1100-O is dead soft.  https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-alumin...-aluminum/
For any alum alloy, the -O suffix says that it's fully annealed (soft), and 1100 is the softest of all because it's pure (no alloying elements).  Maybe that's what they use for roof flashing and beer cans, I don't know.
Alloys with -HXX tempers are non-heat-treatable.  Only way to make them stronger is cold-rolling.  Just like copper.
Alloys with -TXX tempers are heat-treatable.

Copper gaskets are nice because you can anneal and re-use them very quickly and easily (without accidentally melting as with aluminum!).  Just heat to 700F - 1200F.  TI told me his method: give it a dusting of carbon by running an acetylene-only flame across it.  Then turn on the oxygen and burn the carbon off.
Hi Kurt,
I worked at machine shop, we used CAD/CAM al lot, anyway some customers brought is sample parts for reproduction, the head gasket is easy to draw and make.  depending on your quantity and thickness water jet would be easy maybe a stack of 10 or so at a time.  Check out Mississippi Laser ( Iowa ) they do great work, all they need is a sample part they will program that is just a few minutes.
Mike Berg