Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kart ID Help, WHAT IS IT?

.jpg   SAM_4485 (1).JPG (Size: 541.4 KB / Downloads: 249)
.jpg   SAM_4481 (1).JPG (Size: 538.69 KB / Downloads: 136)
.jpg   SAM_4482 (1).JPG (Size: 539.53 KB / Downloads: 99)
.jpg   SAM_4484 (1).JPG (Size: 541.94 KB / Downloads: 100)
.jpg   SAM_4486 (1).JPG (Size: 541.38 KB / Downloads: 95)
.jpg   SAM_4483 (1).JPG (Size: 538.89 KB / Downloads: 87)
.jpg   SAM_4488 (1).JPG (Size: 536.13 KB / Downloads: 106) Does anyone know what make / model / year this kart is?

Thank You
(04-04-2020, 09:43 PM)John M. Wrote: Does anyone know what make / model / year this kart is?

Thank You

Hello John,

I don't know the brand but I can help with a span of years that it could have been built in. The parts on the kart give clues.

What diameter is the steering shaft? If it measures 1/2" diameter, then the kart was built from 1958 to 1962. The racing sanctioning bodies required the steering shaft to be 5/8" diameter from 1963 going forward. The single drive rear wheel points to 1958 to early 1960s. The really small drum brake also points to the earliest kart years.

The steering tie rod arms being in front of the front axle say 1958 to late 60s.

When you measure the steering shaft diameter, that will tell you which span of years to look at old racing kart ads. You should be able to find out what brand it is from old ads, especially if it is a common brand.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Joe
The steering shaft is 1/2". But enclosed in 3/4" tubing.

I am going with a `60 Hoffco Hurricane definitely. Thats my final answer. (Hits the buzzer)

Specs for a 1960 Hoffo Hurricane are:

steel welded plate pedals upright steel arm tapers at top behind pedal pad
3/8" tierods and heim joints short lower tierod goes to right spindle
rear axle 3/4" housed
4" drum brake-backing plates are integral to axle tube housing
3 stud demountable wheels with magnesium hubs
46" wheelbase
Tread width (f) 31" ® 32" both are rough measurements

Roll bar, front bumper and nerf bars also available.
Thanks, guys!!!

I bought this for $20 or $25 bucks back in 76' to 78'. My younger brother and I took turns pushing it home as the other drove it about 1 or 1 1/2 miles.

Many, many hours of fun with it all year long. We would even take it out on the snow covered roads up here in central NY during the winter and spin it around all sorts of crazy ways.

Never knew it was so old. I want to re power it and get it going for my daughter and the neighbor kids. Will need a couple parts when I get into it, so if anybody knows where I can find some I would be interested in that info.
When you do get it cleaned up and painted, get rid of the four cycle engine and find a 580 West Bend or a Clinton A400/490 or E-65. Vintage karts need two cycle power. 580's show up on eBay fairly often, as do the A400 and 490 Clintons. Parts can still be found here and there. Most Hoffcos were a light metallic blue, some were a non-metallic light blue, a few were red. Yours was obviously metallic blue. They were built in Richmond, Indiana. Ted
John where abouts are you? Im in Central Squre. I may be able to help you out. John
(05-14-2020, 05:40 AM)john phippen Wrote: John where abouts are you? Im in Central Squre. I may be able to help you out. John

Hi, John

I'm in Holland Patent, not too far from you.
Do you have parts for these karts? Or know where parts are available?
I haven't gotten into it yet, but I do know it need a couple things.

Thanks
John
Those karts are fairly basic in construction. Most any part can be easily fabricated.
The engine is likely a tecumseh H30 3hp as indicated by the numbers stamped into the blower shroud. It has some value as a Rupp minibike motor although they used HS40 4hp engines, so selling the 4 cycle online can see you $100 and more closer to a 2 cycle engine. The old style smooth curved blower shrouds are the style most sought after the Rupp Roadster re builders want.
Restored 4 hp engines sell for as much as the MC91's do on ebay.

Good luck there Holland Patent!
BTW, if you look at REAR's forum page, the kart drawing at the top of the page shows Hoffco karts. Those were the original steering wheels in the drawing. Ted

http://rearenginekarts.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=1