Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel and axle
Hi 
Couple of questions. Can this mag wheel be repaired with jb weld? Feel badly that I messed and took a big chip out of the wheel. Also having a tough time getting the nuts and bolts off the wheels to split them in two haves.  I’ll include a picture below. I’m having trouble getting the old axle off, should I cut it off? Thanks, Ed

Attached Files
.jpeg   F20C2967-794A-490F-AFE8-3AFF90EB3844.jpeg (Size: 2.34 MB / Downloads: 75)
.jpeg   01168CA0-655D-45D8-8963-679FB0F67441.jpeg (Size: 2.09 MB / Downloads: 47)
.jpeg   2398188C-12FE-4962-87D1-29C861F71A92.jpeg (Size: 2.18 MB / Downloads: 44)
absolutely not..not even for show purposes......Terry I Ives can repair them or Mike Berg in Il can also do it,,,,I just had 6 of them repaired,,,came back almost as good as new,,,

the axle...just keep soaking it with a good penetrating oil,,,make take weeks ..but eventually it will loosen up...others may have other ideas,,,

Gary

and the broken wheel...thats an inner half,,,that half is easy to get, the outer half is the hard one....if you vcan't get it repaired I do have good inner halves
Cut the axle.....the axle, the sprocket hub, and most everything else is available from the vintage vendors.   Keep adding the
PB Blaster, Acetone/ATF mixture, Coke mixture to the pieces you save if you're anal about keeping original parts.......DON'T
be in a hurry to remove the axle stub....a press will be your best bet IF you're REALLY wanting to save the components. 
DON'T use  the old hot rodder's go to...HEAT.

Wheel halves are NOTHING to short change.   Even for a non track "show" kart.  There's a bunch of pieces and parts out there if
you want an original....and SEVERAL qualified/competent "old farts" who can repair an original.   I used JB Weld for cosmetic
stuff, NEVER in a stress situation.  And if you sell off or give away the pieces, PLEASE be sure to let the new owner of your efforts.

Here's an axiom to keep in mind.........Is XXX# of dollars too expensive for a helmet (or whatever)?   How much is your head
(whatever) worth?    Component parts are in the same family.   I'll refer to a brake system update I was reluctant to use
because it wasn't "vintage."    I'm 70......heal slow, don't endure pain well, and can't stand the sight of blood (especially if it's MINE!!)
AND, keep in mind, the guy next to you (maybe me) is ignorant of your efforts and questions......keep him as well as yourself SAFE!!  

ANYTHING I can do to protect my old as_ is a move well taken....as well as fellow vintage guys.    END OF RANT.

Chuck

Appreciate your advice Chuck thanks. Ed
Thanks Gary, appreciate your advice.
Yeah, cut the axle and press the hub off.
You didn't show the other side of the hub - I assume you have loosened the 3 bolts in the center?

Don Axe can make you a custom axle out of steel or aluminum.

just my 1.5 cents

terry
i first split the wheel apart then  i cut the axle to a short stub but long enough to chuck in a lathe then center drill the end of the stub
 with progressively larger drills until the axle starts to become paper thin along with the heat generated it just falls out of the wheel not everyone has access to
a lathe or a machinists willing to do this, the last place i worked at had a repair facility i was able to use, maybe a CL post for
a home hobby machinist that owns a lathe  in your local area may help i think its one of the safer ways to get those frozen axles out, mine was an aluminum
one with the hub being magnesium  it wouldn't matter if the axle were steel or Aluminum it will work the same and saves putting a lot of pressure
on a 60 some year old  wheel hub   good luck with your restoration
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
(03-09-2020, 09:03 AM)Richard Stamile Wrote: i first split the wheel apart then  i cut the axle to a short stub but long enough to chuck in a lathe then center drill the end of the stub
 with progressively larger drills until the axle starts to become paper thin along with the heat generated it just falls out of the wheel not everyone has access to
a lathe or a machinists willing to do this, the last place i worked at had a repair facility i was able to use, maybe a CL post for
a home hobby machinist that owns a lathe  in your local area may help i think its one of the safer ways to get those frozen axles out, mine was an aluminum
one with the hub being magnesium  it wouldn't matter if the axle were steel or Aluminum it will work the same and saves putting a lot of pressure
on a 60 some year old  wheel hub   good luck with your restoration

Thanks very much!
Before you go to all that trouble, soak the axle/wheel interface for a week with Aero Kroil. Stuff works pretty well. A lot of times you can then press the axle stub out with safe pressure and no drilling. I stand the assembly so the axle sticks straight up and squirt it down with the Kroil. Replenish it every so often. Kroil isn't cheap, but it's as good as anything available. Listen to GW and Terry. Pretty sharp cookies! Good luck. Ted