Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MCCulloch Rebuild
(02-26-2020, 12:28 PM)ted johnson Wrote: If the price includes welding up and grinding down the bad areas of tubing, and replacing that rear bumper bar across the back of the engine mounts, maybe it would be O.K. If he's going to use body filler or lab Metal, NO! Anyhow, $1300+ sounds awful high to this old buzzard. Finding two period correct Macs to trade for the 101 is going to be a chore. The Mc6's or Mc20's are not growing on trees, and the guys who have them will want some dough for them. Until you know exactly what is going on inside the 101, you can't give an honest description. I think you need to PM Scott Kneisel and see what he's got going on the early engines. He might know someone who's got a couple of them. Of course, the kart is perfectly proper with a single Mac on it, and it would still be fun to drive that way. It is just that the R1 always benefitted from the extra push of twin engines. TJ

Made some good progress today. Can I use a flat head screwdriver to remove bearing retainer rings inside wheels?

Attached Files
.jpeg   A4C25EB1-D747-4641-82FA-B1547F51F9BE.jpeg (Size: 2.2 MB / Downloads: 70)
.jpeg   614AF885-C72C-4ECB-B084-20B2C7F82AA6.jpeg (Size: 2.24 MB / Downloads: 62)
.jpeg   77FFC436-E319-4E53-8BDC-B963A1022A75.jpeg (Size: 1.93 MB / Downloads: 58)
I just picked up r1. I'm missing the floor pan. was it welded solid the entire length or was it welded in a handful of spots. Thanks!
(02-25-2020, 12:13 PM)ted johnson Wrote: I second the Scott Kneisel motion. If you want to have an engine that can use better clutches, find the Mac tapered crank. Maybe Scott can help. Failing that, Terry Ives. TJ

Does anyone have a number or email contact to either of these guys, Scott or Terry..
Here is the google search links For Scott, I figured it was the safest way to get his info, without having personal stuff listed where the bots could pick it up.
chuckie72us@ yahoo dot com

https://www.google.com/search?q=charles+...nt=gws-wiz

FYI R1 serial number is on the right hand flat frame metal crossover by the right hip.

Scott made weld on braces for his R1 right where the weak part of the frame has a tendency to break, if you are over 150 pounds, I'd consider that for sure.
He doesn't make or sell them, just shared a picture of the completed finished kart.
(02-25-2020, 07:43 PM)ted johnson Wrote: The prices totally depend on where you are and who you take the frame to. A lot of powder coaters will media blast the old paint off for you. If you replace the pan properly, who's going to know? These things are not classic cars, but mass produced race karts. The value won't change if you do the repairs correctly. Remember, the kart is never going to be worth all that much. It's just a kart, though a decent machine. They were well made, though heavy and relatively inflexible. If you're thinking of value as a restored kart, the 101B is years too new to be proper on an '61 or '62 R1, though it'll make a fun ride. Properly a pair of Mc6's or Mc20's would be the best bet as far as value is concerned. TJ

Hello Ted

I don't think you realize the demand for these rear engine vintage karts and the prices they generate, I've seen one sell recently for $38,000 but that was a twin engine and everything was perfect, check out this site and just type go kart in the search box and you will probably be shocked at what these sell for if you post them in the right place..

https://bringatrailer.com/
If i was going to restore that Kart i wouldn't power coat it, it needs
a fair amount of metal work unless the weld repairs are done perfect that is going
to ad more welding hours most likely Tig and a lot of grinding work if its not perfect
when it comes back from a powered coat shop you may not be all that happy with paint
you always have the option to correct a less then perfect repair paint with a UV clear coat
will hold up better then original paint work back in the day
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
If i was going to restore that Kart i wouldn't power coat it, it needs
a fair amount of metal work unless the weld repairs are done perfect that is going
to ad more welding hours most likely Tig and a lot of grinding work if its not perfect
when it comes back from a power coat shop you may not be all that happy with paint
you always have the option to correct a less then perfect repair, paint with a UV clear coat
will hold up better then original paint  on Karts back in the day
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
(01-04-2023, 11:15 AM)Stebs Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 12:13 PM)ted johnson Wrote: I second the Scott Kneisel motion. If you want to have an engine that can use better clutches, find the Mac tapered crank. Maybe Scott can help. Failing that, Terry Ives. TJ

Does anyone have a number or email contact to either of these guys, Scott or Terry..

I was in contact with Scott Kniesel a few weeks back, Scott is concentrating on his own stuff this year so he sent me to Terry Ives of California, Bill McCormack is another builder for these engines, he's out of Wisconsin and that's who I sent my engine to. These guys all know and work with each other, I got Bills name from talking to Terry Ives.
(01-05-2023, 08:52 AM)Stebs Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 07:43 PM)ted johnson Wrote: The prices totally depend on where you are and who you take the frame to. A lot of powder coaters will media blast the old paint off for you. If you replace the pan properly, who's going to know? These things are not classic cars, but mass produced race karts. The value won't change if you do the repairs correctly. Remember, the kart is never going to be worth all that much. It's just a kart, though a decent machine. They were well made, though heavy and relatively inflexible. If you're thinking of value as a restored kart, the 101B is years too new to be proper on an '61 or '62 R1, though it'll make a fun ride. Properly a pair of Mc6's or Mc20's would be the best bet as far as value is concerned. TJ

Hello Ted

I don't think you realize the demand for these rear engine vintage karts and the prices they generate, I've seen one sell recently for $38,000 but that was a twin engine and everything was perfect, check out this site and just type go kart in the search box and you will probably be shocked at what these sell for if you post them in the right place..

https://bringatrailer.com/
Last year we restored an R1 kart  nearly perfect with two beautiful Mc10 engines that I built. Between the engine rebuilds, chrome, blasting, painting and replacing the pan we had about $8K into it. We had sugar plums dancing in our heads on what enormous price we were going to get for it so we put it on Bring a Trailer and it sold for $10750 so we made a profit of less that $3K. Not too bad but certainly not $38....the guys who paid big bucks for those karts at first aren't in the game any more so it is a crap shoot as to what you might get for the kart. The frame looks nice though and a good place to start as it appears original and complete which is half the battle.  Good luck