Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daytona race
Just sitting here watching the rain fall during the 2020 500 race. Got me thinking of racing in years past. Curious how many here have been fortunate enough to race on the Daytona track?

It was one thing I really wanted to do. But half way across the country did sort of limit how likely that would happen.

The first time I got to see just how big that place is, was in 1988. There was about 1100 overall entries. I ran 100cc Open. My enduro kart was a 1974 Hornet Wishbone. When pushing up to the grid, I realized my kart was the only one without body work. This is one track it really makes a difference. Didnt get me down tho. I was just so excited about running there.

Without having any real idea of setup and gearing, I managed to at least get close. Engine was a Komet K-88 with two HL 293A's bolted to an old GP manifold. The cylinder liner was replaced with one I machined from a chunk of nickle/iron alloy. It had three exhaust ports and conventional intakes. Motor ran well, just didnt have the finances to afford new tires, body work or even a modern frame. I was even running an old Hartman axle clutch. It was easy to adjust. No parts were available for them anymore. I did figure out how to reline the shoes and grind to fit drum diameter.

During the race I managed to make it up to 7th place. The driver in front of me was more of a drag racer. He would park it in the turns and haul butt coming out of them. But there really isnt any tight turns on the track. I was not expecting him to park it in the scoring turn. Just catching up to him there, he hit the brakes, and I hit him. This caused us both to spin off the track. We managed to keep engines running and got back in the race. A lap later I saw him pulling in the pits. My tap on his rear knocked the pipe off, so he was out of the hunt.

This little accident took place early in the race. After settling back down, I kept pushing to make up ground. By the end of that race I was able to make it back up to 10th position. Was very happy with the finish. There were about 60 karts in my class. 59 of them had full body work. I had a front number panel. Life was good.

Schedules worked out and got to make trips back there again in 1989, 92, 93, and 94. Things only got better with each trip.
I ran there a couple times in 100 Open in the mid seventies. Was fairly quick, but throttle setup broke the first time out, and the axle clutch wadded up the second time out. It was nice. My ex and I lived maybe fifty-five miles from the Speedway, so we could sleep in our own beds, get up and jump on 95 and we were there. We went a few more times just to watch. It's a easy track to drive, even a 270cc Open. I did a few practice laps in a Cali friend's Zip with dual K299's on board. Diana and I spent a lotta hours leaning on that infield fence! My pal, Charlie and I used to go to Road America to watch the karts when I lived in WI, but the biggest they ran back then was 200cc. Charlie isn't far from Road America. TJ