Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiseco ported/blueprinted/modified engines?
I just picked up a Bug Stinger with a K88 and two 91A motors, these got rolled into a garage in 1972 and were not touched again until a month ago when the original owners grandson inherited them. He was willing to sell them for a good price, and since I was looking for another K88 to work on, I got them. Here's the thing... The original owner was from Toledo Ohio (same as Max Klinger) and bought all of his parts/engines from Wiseco. I actually have a receipt and three catalogs (68, 69, and 70-71) from Wiseco where they went through the one 91A and ported it out, set it up with a GEM V12 and twin HL194A carbs on alcohol, blueprinted the Horstman Slip-O-Matic clutch, and sold him an expansion chamber (no name on the invoice and I have no clue as to which brand it is, will have to post pictures on here when I can find my camera) and a set of Eliminator tires. 

This is what has me wondering. I didn't start racing karts until the 80's on an old Panther X with a Flathead on the dirt (Thanks for the lifelong addiction Steve Poole...) and moved into running at Summit Point very quickly with a 93B1 on the kart. I know about Wiseco making pistons, but I didn't know that they actually had a kart shop and did blueprinting. Is anyone familiar with the work that Wiseco did? I popped the intake off the engine to start going through it to get it all cleaned up and back ready to run, and I can see where they have done some cleaning and some radius work on the ports on the block, but I was wondering how far they went with the Macs. Anyone have any information on this?

Also as a side note, and this is a little embarrassing... I might be selling the kart soon as I found out that my 6'2" 220 lb frame will NOT fit in the seat on the kart, and my legs are all up in the steering wheel to the point that I can't turn the wheels. Seems people from back in the 70's were a lot smaller in size than I am... Totally original kart in unrestored condition, Nylite wheels,  H/A brakes, Eliminator slicks, etc... Let me know if there is any interest in the kart.
(02-10-2020, 07:00 AM)Jeffrey Sligh Wrote: I just picked up a Bug Stinger with a K88 and two 91A motors, these got rolled into a garage in 1972 and were not touched again until a month ago when the original owners grandson inherited them. He was willing to sell them for a good price, and since I was looking for another K88 to work on, I got them. Here's the thing... The original owner was from Toledo Ohio (same as Max Klinger) and bought all of his parts/engines from Wiseco. I actually have a receipt and three catalogs (68, 69, and 70-71) from Wiseco where they went through the one 91A and ported it out, set it up with a GEM V12 and twin HL194A carbs on alcohol, blueprinted the Horstman Slip-O-Matic clutch, and sold him an expansion chamber (no name on the invoice and I have no clue as to which brand it is, will have to post pictures on here when I can find my camera) and a set of Eliminator tires. 

This is what has me wondering. I didn't start racing karts until the 80's on an old Panther X with a Flathead on the dirt (Thanks for the lifelong addiction Steve Poole...) and moved into running at Summit Point very quickly with a 93B1 on the kart. I know about Wiseco making pistons, but I didn't know that they actually had a kart shop and did blueprinting. Is anyone familiar with the work that Wiseco did? I popped the intake off the engine to start going through it to get it all cleaned up and back ready to run, and I can see where they have done some cleaning and some radius work on the ports on the block, but I was wondering how far they went with the Macs. Anyone have any information on this?

Also as a side note, and this is a little embarrassing... I might be selling the kart soon as I found out that my 6'2" 220 lb frame will NOT fit in the seat on the kart, and my legs are all up in the steering wheel to the point that I can't turn the wheels. Seems people from back in the 70's were a lot smaller in size than I am... Totally original kart in unrestored condition, Nylite wheels,  H/A brakes, Eliminator slicks, etc... Let me know if there is any interest in the kart.

two things,,,you must have picked up an "A" Stinger...no front porch...turn it into a "B" by adding a factory style front porch...I'm 6"3" and actually fit in a B pretty well...and a dang nice handling kart...and would work great in our(VKA) straight axle sidewinder class with a Mac on it...sorry no foreign motors in that class...

Wiesco..was located on the east side of Cleveland Ohio, Mentor I believe, at first a very small 4 car garage and then later a pretty good sized company carrying all kinds of parts for karts ,,and engine mods also...they were big in Ohio,,,, and built some pretty good stuff....

there are a bunch of guys in Ohio still karting even  in Toledo   and Napoleon....and I am from north central Ohio..so there are a bunch of us ,,if you need help...reach out....

Gary
i may be interested in the stinger, do you have pics?
Hello John, I don't have any pictures of the kart just yet, I have been on a never ending search for my camera to take pictures of some things I need identified, but I can take some rather crappy photos with my phone and send them to you in the next few days.
Hello Gary, thanks for the help! The Stinger actually does have a very small porch on it, but the problem really isn't my height so much as my width... What can I say? I like to eat... Is that a crime? LOL! From the three catalogs and the invoice that I got with the kart, it looks like they were on Lakeland Blvd in Wickliffe Ohio. Just wondering if you might have a picture of the mount on the Stinger for a Mac, or are you running one of the side mounts on the kart? The kart had the K88 on it with a plate mount (picture the old AZUSA Briggs flat plates just in aluminum and drilled/slotted for a Komet) and some kind of motocross looking pipe with the thru bolt on the original Bug exhaust mount.

I figure that if I sell the kart, I might as well sell it with the Mac motor since the K88 isn't legal for VKA, and the starter cart with the old Ford starter and fan belt too. Make it a complete package deal for someone and throw in the spare set of Eliminator tires with it and the BDC carb and manifold along with the twin Tilly setup. Run gas or alky and have a way to start it that looks like you rolled everything out of a garage back in 1972 or so...
(02-10-2020, 10:13 AM)Jeffrey Sligh Wrote: Hello Gary, thanks for the help! The Stinger actually does have a very small porch on it, but the problem really isn't my height so much as my width... What can I say? I like to eat... Is that a crime? LOL! From the three catalogs and the invoice that I got with the kart, it looks like they were on Lakeland Blvd in Wickliffe Ohio. Just wondering if you might have a picture of the mount on the Stinger for a Mac, or are you running one of the side mounts on the kart? The kart had the K88 on it with a plate mount (picture the old AZUSA Briggs flat plates just in aluminum and drilled/slotted for a Komet) and some kind of motocross looking pipe with the thru bolt on the original Bug exhaust mount.

I figure that if I sell the kart, I might as well sell it with the Mac motor since the K88 isn't legal for VKA, and the starter cart with the old Ford starter and fan belt too. Make it a complete package deal for someone and throw in the spare set of Eliminator tires with it and the BDC carb and manifold along with the twin Tilly setup. Run gas or alky and have a way to start it that looks like you rolled everything out of a garage back in 1972 or so...

yes the were in Wickliffe in the small shop...and then moved to Mentor....or, ya ya know that street may have been the dividing line between cities,,,But I remeber both places,,,,pistons for 5.95 if I remember correctly

I'd post pics on here ,,,but this place just is not picture freindly..had a stinger with a K78 on it 2 years ago

(02-10-2020, 05:55 PM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 10:13 AM)Jeffrey Sligh Wrote: Hello Gary, thanks for the help! The Stinger actually does have a very small porch on it, but the problem really isn't my height so much as my width... What can I say? I like to eat... Is that a crime? LOL! From the three catalogs and the invoice that I got with the kart, it looks like they were on Lakeland Blvd in Wickliffe Ohio. Just wondering if you might have a picture of the mount on the Stinger for a Mac, or are you running one of the side mounts on the kart? The kart had the K88 on it with a plate mount (picture the old AZUSA Briggs flat plates just in aluminum and drilled/slotted for a Komet) and some kind of motocross looking pipe with the thru bolt on the original Bug exhaust mount.

yes the were in Wickliffe in the small shop...and then moved to Mentor....or, ya ya know that street may have been the dividing line between cities,,,But I remeber both places,,,,pistons for 5.95 if I remember correctly

I'd post pics on here ,,,but this place just is not picture freindly..had a stinger with a K78 on it 2 years ago

contact me at g.wlodarsky@gmail.com      interested in buying all....

I see John ask if it was for sale first.....if he is not interested ,I would be....

Attached Files
.jpg   Bug Stinger with K78.jpg (Size: 88.53 KB / Downloads: 19)
Jeffrey, Stingers had a flat plate mount bolted to the chassis. Some had a single long slot in the mount, some had two shorter ones. The plate that bolted to the bottom of the engine was specific to the engine, but all had two 3/8" hex bolts pressed into holes in the top surface of the engine plate. That left the threaded portion of the bolts protruding thru the bottom of the mount plate. These spigotted into the slots. Heavy washers and good quality nuts held the engine with mount plate onto the kart's engine plate. K&P had several engine plates to accommodate most Macs, West Bends and foreign engines. This system was used on Bugs for several years. It was simple, and it worked well. No clamps to mess up the frame paint.TJ
(02-10-2020, 06:12 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Jeffrey, Stingers had a flat plate mount bolted to the chassis. Some had a single long slot in the mount, some had two shorter ones. The plate that bolted to the bottom of the engine was specific to the engine, but all had two 3/8" hex bolts pressed into holes in the top surface of the engine plate. That left the threaded portion of the bolts protruding thru the bottom of the mount plate. These spigotted into the slots. Heavy washers and good quality nuts held the engine with mount plate onto the kart's engine plate. K&P had several engine plates to accommodate most Macs, West Bends and foreign engines. This system was used on Bugs for several years. It was simple, and it worked well. No clamps to mess up the frame paint.TJ

(02-10-2020, 07:58 PM)Ron Merriman Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 06:12 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Jeffrey, Stingers had a flat plate mount bolted to the chassis. Some had a single long slot in the mount, some had two shorter ones. The plate that bolted to the bottom of the engine was specific to the engine, but all had two 3/8" hex bolts pressed into holes in the top surface of the engine plate. That left the threaded portion of the bolts protruding thru the bottom of the mount plate. These spigotted into the slots. Heavy washers and good quality nuts held the engine with mount plate onto the kart's engine plate. K&P had several engine plates to accommodate most Macs, West Bends and foreign engines. This system was used on Bugs for several years. It was simple, and it worked well. No clamps to mess up the frame paint.TJ
Hey Gary, I got to get some pictures of the kart first, and of course John has dibs on it to start off since he did ask first. The big thing I have to do is find my camera so I can get some pictures instead of taking junky ones with my phone, but I will see what I can do on this. Beautiful kart that you have Gary! The Yamaha Sportsman in the background looks nice too, CKI chassis on the laydown? The Sprinter that I have is yellow in color and does not have the extra bar for the Nassau panel, but it does have the pedal rubbers and the short porch and that groovy tuck and roll seat upholstery. Looks like yours has the extended porch on it and a different steering wheel than what I have.

Hey Ted, the plate on the Stinger that I have actually has four slots in it, drilled out to the K88 spacing and has four bolts, one in each corner to bolt the plate to the ears on the frame. I guess they decided to drop the K88 on this one the extra 1/2" that the motor plate would have raised it up. Either that or someone had a lot of fun running a drill and the jig saw on this one, I'm not sure which. I haven't really taken a good look and seen if the four slots are milled out or if they are cut with a jig saw or not, guess I REALLY need to find my camera! LOL! Thanks for all the help so far everyone!
My '73 Stinger was a dual. It had the short front porch. Dual open 101 Macs. Fey sprocket hubs, Nylite wheels, JR pipes. Nice C kart. Check the bar across the street from my Pop's mower shop. "Evil People"! TJ

Attached Files
.jpg   Picture 070.jpg (Size: 386.23 KB / Downloads: 33)