Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiseco ported/blueprinted/modified engines?
Hey Ted, sweet ride you have there! Love the butterfly steering wheel and the dual H/A brakes, dual 101's, and the dual shops! LOL!
I ended up selling the chassis and getting the engines built and running them as singles in B Limited on a Bug Wasp, and later a Black Widow. The butterfly wheel was pretty popular in the early to mid seventies.
That bar was just a country bar in the front. Around the side, behind that palm tree was a nudie bar. My Mom hated it and got the local church women organized against it. They fought until it was closed down. We had shut our kart shop down several years earlier, and Pop ran his lawn mower and small engine shop for about ten more years before he retired. Fun times. We had sold Bug and Go Kart from 1958 until I started chasing girls and hot cars. It's fun to watch the progression (or regression) of the neighborhood over the time period. When I was a young kid, the area where the bar was had been a weed and palmetto field. We could hunt snakes there. TJ
(02-11-2020, 08:46 AM)ted johnson Wrote: I ended up selling the chassis and getting the engines built and running them as singles in B Limited on a Bug Wasp, and later a Black Widow. The butterfly wheel was pretty popular in the early to mid seventies.
That bar was just a country bar in the front. Around the side, behind that palm tree was a nudie bar. My Mom hated it and got the local church women organized against it. They fought until it was closed down. We had shut our kart shop down several years earlier, and Pop ran his lawn mower and small engine shop for about ten more years before he retired. Fun times. We had sold Bug and Go Kart from 1958 until I started chasing girls and hot cars. It's fun to watch the progression (or regression) of the neighborhood over the time period. When I was a young kid, the area where the bar was had been a weed and palmetto field. We could hunt snakes there. TJ

similar except,,,,I was chasing Hot Gals and cars......

GW
Hey, GW, Brudders from anudder mudder! TJ
(02-11-2020, 08:46 AM)ted johnson Wrote: I ended up selling the chassis and getting the engines built and running them as singles in B Limited on a Bug Wasp, and later a Black Widow.

The local kart guru was a retired dirt car racer from the 50's. He claimed to be the first having fuel injection west of the Mississippi.

He was also the Bug dealer. Previously he sold Lancers from MSS and Hornet enduros from Richard Peck. I loved the way those late 70's Bugs looked. The tig welds were perfect. Right out of high school my first new kart was the newer kpi Wasp. My older brother bought a Black Widow. I upgraded two years later and bought a Super Sprint. Loved that kart. At that time 100 open was the hot ticket, later Expert III at 280 pounds. I could never make weight for the 135/150 open, then combined with Expert III at 350 pounds. 

Finally picked up an awesome K30 that Hub modified. It was amazing. That motor would lift the front end of kart off the ground. I actually set the local track record for a short time with it. Still have that motor sitting in a box. Built fresh and ready to go. Just had a hard time keeping a clutch alive on it. With axle clutches, it would just destroy chains. Good times tho.
(02-10-2020, 10:13 AM)Jeffrey Sligh Wrote: Hello Gary, thanks for the help! The Stinger actually does have a very small porch on it, but the problem really isn't my height so much as my width... What can I say? I like to eat... Is that a crime? LOL! From the three catalogs and the invoice that I got with the kart, it looks like they were on Lakeland Blvd in Wickliffe Ohio. Just wondering if you might have a picture of the mount on the Stinger for a Mac, or are you running one of the side mounts on the kart? The kart had the K88 on it with a plate mount (picture the old AZUSA Briggs flat plates just in aluminum and drilled/slotted for a Komet) and some kind of motocross looking pipe with the thru bolt on the original Bug exhaust mount.

I figure that if I sell the kart, I might as well sell it with the Mac motor since the K88 isn't legal for VKA, and the starter cart with the old Ford starter and fan belt too. Make it a complete package deal for someone and throw in the spare set of Eliminator tires with it and the BDC carb and manifold along with the twin Tilly setup. Run gas or alky and have a way to start it that looks like you rolled everything out of a garage back in 1972 or so...

The K88 is legal for VKA,just not for the Straight Front Axle Sidewinder class which is now 100cc American reed engines only. There IS a class for the 100cc foreign engines to run in.
Thanks for letting me know that Tom, I need to get a copy of the classes and rules and see what I have and where it will fit.
Jeffrey, don't forget that there is a whole lot of vintage karting that doesn't conform to VKA. There's quite a few non-racing events for guys who are retired from racing, or who are smart enough to know that old bones break easily, and that they may not be as fast as they think they are (or were). Events such as TBO and Tucson are just as fast as the race events, and are a lot cheaper to run. I no longer restore old karts, because I don't fit on them. Both my current karts are rear engine, vintage style with engines, wheels and such that would've been available in the olden days. Some race events would let them run, as they look vintage and have vintage power, but some would not. I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish. I want to ride, as fast as I dare, with a bit of comfort and a lot of reliability. I design my frames on CAD to look vintage and to meet the rules of the days that the karts look like they might have been from, but I move my steering wheel up and forward to clear the larger mid-section. Remember, if you're not as fine a wheel man as Terry Ives, Lake Speed, Lynn Haddock, Mark Dismore and others, you can still have nice machinery and have a blast on track!
As for the Stinger front porch, there were a few styles, but the main difference is that some had short porches with feet behind the axle like mine did. Some had long porches with feet and pedals in front of the axle.  Ted