Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Recommendations
Hello Scott.  Listed in no particular order:
1.  As Louie said, Redline has a specific product that will mix with methanol.  It's been available for awhile.

2. According to Redline's website, Terry Ives was involved in either developing and/or testing their kart oil.  I don't recall whether Terry tested it in Yamahas or IAMEs, but it wasn't McCullochs.

3.  I know that at least one of our colleagues runs the alky-Redline in his Mc92 sidewinder.  His whole kart is spic-and-span, which would be impossible with castor.

4.  Another guy we know bought an entire case of the alky-Redline, but later wondered out loud if he'd ever be able to use it all.  If you'd like, I can ask him if he'd be interested in recouping some of that investment.

5.  FWIW, for alky in a Mac, Barry G recommends 16:1 castor, so that's what we use.  We use Klotz BeNol because the red dye makes it obvious what's been mixed and what hasn't.

6.  John Copeland (Fox Valley Kart) has some interesting info on this exact topic on his website.  

7.  I wonder if the reason Redline "burns so clean" is that (maybe) it passes through without actually burning.  

I'm eager to hear what you decide to do!
Doug
Since obsessing over details seems to be my specialty, I've attached one link and two articles pertaining to 2-stroke oils.

First, a link to John Copeland's well-written article:
https://www.foxvalleykart.com/oil1.html

Second, I've attached a 2-page PDF downloaded a few years ago from Redline's website.  On page 1, 2nd column, Terry Ives' testing of Redline in KT100's is summarized.

I saved the best for last.  IMHO, the 2nd attachment may be THE most authoritative, technically-grounded article us hobbyists are likely to see on castor.

Now, enough of this.  I gotta get back to basement... reorganizing all of the canned goods according to expiration date.  When the wife returns, she's gonna flip!

Attached Files
.pdf   Oil-Red_Line_White_Paper_2012sep.pdf (Size: 47.69 KB / Downloads: 6)
.pdf   Castor_Oil_explanation_2018oct25.pdf (Size: 15.16 KB / Downloads: 8)
Not only is plain old nasty castor still the most reliable lube for your two cycle kart mill, it also works terrifically as a drill and tap lubricant. Bob Kurkowski told me this several years ago, and I alwaysl keep a little squeeze bottle of Blendzall near the drill press. When ordinary drill lubes run away from the heat of the drill bit, castor seems to run TOWARD the heat! Spray carb or brake cleaners clean the stuff away very well. Ted
Apparently my last post was deleted somehow.
This is basically what I said:
I talked to Terry and he told me that the Redline kart oil can be used in a pinch with alky but it does separate quickly and he does not recommend it.
The Redline 2 cycle alcohol is made to premix with methanol but at $79 a gallon, I will pass and use castor.

I have used the Burris Hi Rev castor in Methanol before with success before so I am pretty sure I will go with that.

I will probably stick with 16:1 even though I could probably use a leaner mixture.
Thanks for all the input, it helped me a lot.
(01-10-2020, 08:42 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote: Apparently my last post was deleted somehow.
This is basically what I said:
I talked to Terry and he told me that the Redline kart oil can be used in a pinch with alky but it does separate quickly and he does not recommend it.
The Redline 2 cycle alcohol is made to premix with methanol but at $79 a gallon, I will pass and use castor.

I have used the Burris Hi Rev castor in Methanol before with success before so I am pretty sure I will go with that.

I will probably stick with 16:1 even though I could probably use a leaner mixture.
Thanks for all the input, it helped me a lot.

Ives mixes 2 pint bottles of castor to 5 gallons of methanol, that way you don't have to measure anything and the ratio is 20 - 1 which is what McCulloch recomended. I do it the same way. I like Burris or Maxima 927 because you can visibly see that it's mixed in the methanol, unlike the Blendzall.
TS is right on the lack of dye in the Blendzall. I had to do the evaporation test last month to see if my meth was mixed or not! Blush   If I had any sense, I'd mark the jug or switch to the stuff with the dye. 60 years of Blendzall makes it hard to abandon! TJ
Something to think about is the Mac parts supply. I have used Blendzall Ultra for years at 10oz per gal with NO failures or stuck engines so I guess I will stay with what works.You can buy it on Amazon very reasonable by the gal with free shipping.