Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
580 5 port pistons
I need two 580 five port pistons for a pair of engines I need to assemble for Charlie Craibe. Any hopes? I assume I could scallop three port pistons, but aren't the five port units higher compression? Thanks. Ted
yes they are higher compression. I'm sure they exist but I have no idea where.
Thanks, SW. I am asking everywhere! Ted
Gang, one of our intrepid vintage karters has found us two 5 port Wiseco pistons. The issue now becomes, getting the .024 rings for the 2.062 bore. Any thoughts? I COULD cut about .195 off the ends of Mc6 or thin Mc10 rings, but the wall tension would be very high, and I'm not sure they'd stay round, squeezed down that much. Does anybody have thoughts? I called Wiseco, but they no longer have any .024 rings. Thanks! Ted
(01-09-2020, 05:47 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Gang, one of our intrepid vintage karters has found us two 5 port Wiseco pistons. The issue now becomes, getting the .024 rings for the 2.062 bore. Any thoughts? I COULD cut about .195 off the ends of Mc6 or thin Mc10 rings, but the wall tension would be very high, and I'm not sure they'd stay round, squeezed down that much. Does anybody have thoughts? I called Wiseco, but they no longer have any .024 rings. Thanks! Ted

Ted;  I have a couple of sets that measure 2.123" if that could help.
Thanks, Bob. Those are Mac rings ? If they're .024 thick, I'd be interested Please PM me with the info. Ted
(01-10-2020, 09:35 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Thanks, Bob. Those are Mac rings ? If they're .024 thick, I'd be interested Please PM me with the info. Ted

Ted, I bought a guy out several years back and he had a bunch of .024 rings.  The packages are long gone so I have to mike out each ring.  I size I gave you was unsprung so to speak, I could only squeeze them down to 2.079 and then you would need to trim for clearances.  Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob, cost for two sets including shipping? I'd much rather cut down 2.079 than 2.125 rings! If you have two sets, I'm very interested. Got a box today with the two cranks, two regular 580 wide ring pistons, wrist pins one point (bearing) plate and one shroud. I haven't a clue as to how to tell which rotation these two last items are. I thought I'd have to clean up scroungy pieces; these all look great. I gotta give it to Charlie, he's a craftsman!
There is also one (1) aluminum motor mount. I was given to understand the second mount is broken. I know Vince has steel ones, but if I can locate a second aluminum one, I will go that route. Ted
Ted, I'm sure you already thought of this, but just in case: maybe there's a motocross bike somewhere that uses 0.6mm thick rings in a 52mm bore?

Maybe call the Wiseco people back, disguise your voice, and tell 'em you're working on a bike?

Barring that, you could always chuck those rare pistons up in a lathe and widen the grooves? Maybe practice on some not-so-rare pistons first!

Then you'd have a wider selection (no pun intended). Or, you could widen them all the way to the regular 580 dimension, and run regular 580 rings (anneal the one in the lower groove).

Oooorrrr, you could have someone build up (tig) a 580 piston and then shape it to match the 5-port's dome.

You know, these all sound like a lot of work. I think I'm going to go lay down for awhile.
Doug, I already went the  .6mm route with no issue. Widening the grooves isn't going to happen. I have no machine tool access, and Charlie isn't going to pay to have grooves widened at a machine shop. It'd be cheaper to buy new pistons from Terry. He has some. TJ