Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formula K (1988)
National Kart News, February 1988.
You will see a discreprency on the NKN's footer dated page showing 1987. That is an error and should have been 1988. 

The Formula K. Another of the karting community's relentless effort to "fix" what is wrong with the sport and defining the confusing classes known as Formula K, Piston Port and Controlled classes.

Well another class of vintage karts to look for in the barns, basement, garage rafters and save. Plastic seems to be in the future of vinage karting.

Formula K...
Page 1...
.jpg   PW_NKN 198802 14 Formula K.jpg (Size: 4.64 MB / Downloads: 20)

Page 2...
.jpg   PW_NKN 198802 15 Formula K.jpg (Size: 4.29 MB / Downloads: 17)
In the Pacific NW (IKF) Formula K never caught on. To me Formula K was the pinnacle of DD karting.
I have lots of DXL's, L&T's, and SMC axle clutches but I still prefer driving direct drive.
Someday I'd like to try my Hartman Blue Streak direct drive. My biggest issue is trying to talk folks into push starting me which I completely understand. Usually there is someone "younger" that I can talk into trying. Push starting the twin would be a totally another story.... Down under they use dedicated gas powered pushers. My quad would do it in a heartbeat but then I'd be bringing one less kart......
Hey, Paul. I was 18 when I had triple modified Macs on a Go Kart 1200, direct drive. My Pop got to push me off, and more than one time I ran out from under him and left him on the track. I wasn't trying to do that, but when the engines caught, BYE-BYE! I imagine Pop was glad when I went back to B Super.
I wonder what it'd be like trying a mini bike direct drive.... Ted
Scott, we had Formula A here in Region 7 and 11 for a while, Paul, you guys had Formula A in Region 6 also. Great class, direct drive always brought the people to the fence. We were the only ones here in Region 11 to run one, we had to go to Region 7 to have competition.