Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mc49c on eBay
Some fellow has what he's calling an Mc49c on eBay right now. 184065760434. It has socket head screws, red gasket goop or red gaskets and a Walbro carb and sloper manifold. The only '49 I ever had was a "C" model. It had painted hex screws, no red gasket goop and a flatback carb. What gives? Am I wrong (as usual)? Ted
Ted , It sure is purdy ! Maybe its NOS freshly rebuilt ?
(12-02-2019, 11:01 AM)Chris Marchand Wrote: Ted , It sure is purdy !  Maybe its NOS freshly rebuilt ?

Yeah, Chris, It is purty, but is it rebuilt from 49C or 49E parts? TJ
(12-02-2019, 09:00 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Some fellow has what he's calling an Mc49c on eBay right now. 184065760434. It has socket head screws, red gasket goop or red gaskets and a Walbro carb and sloper manifold. The only '49 I ever had was a "C" model. It had painted hex screws, no red gasket goop and a flatback carb. What gives? Am I wrong (as usual)? Ted

You are NOT wrong Ted. Looks like sealer to me and probably because that carb and manifold is for a 49E. PTO seal looks like a SKF aftermarket seal NOT a NOS mac seal. Buyer beware on this one! Not NOS.
Did the 49's come with the saw-style shroud that had multiple holes for the recoil? I don't remember those coming from the factory on the kart engines, just the saws. It's been a LONG time since I owned a Mac! TJ
Did the 49-C blocks have recessed exhaust gasket? He claims it to be NOS. The block may at one time, but has been fed thu a media blaster. All that silicone sure makes a person know the motor has been properly assembled...<sar>
There is also a 49E on E-Bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-racing-...Swt95d2~Ly
Only the 49E blocks used the recessed rectangular exaust gasket and the sloper manifold with the SDC carb. Looks like  a 49E that has been rebuilt and a new 49C sticker has been applied. The seller is Ed Del Pagetto and he is a stand up guy that would not sell junk or intentionally mislead anyone.
Looks like the block has been media blasted and there is and epoxy repair where the third header screw goes.
Steve O'Hara

(12-04-2019, 01:00 AM)steveohara Wrote: Only the 49E blocks used the recessed rectangular exaust gasket and the sloper manifold with the SDC carb. Looks like  a 49E that has been rebuilt and a new 49C sticker has been applied. The seller is Ed Del Pagetto and he is a stand up guy that would not sell junk or intentionally mislead anyone.
Looks like the block has been media blasted and there is an epoxy repair where the third header screw goes.
Steve O'Hara

But it is definitely not New Old Stock!
Steve O'Hara
Thanks, Steve. I haven't held a '49 in my hands for many years, but I thought the one on eBay was an "E" model. Anyhow, guys, there's the 'word" from he who knows! TJ
That is most likely a saw block. The 49e with recessed exhaust gasket was also a newer style casting, like the 49m/c, with a more rounded cylinder head. This one is square like the older fixed head saw motors.