Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPORTSMAN'S REAR MC30 MANIFOLD?
The 2020 rules (in a footnote) say that a MAC manifold is not allowed in Sportsman Rear.  The single carb MC30 has v reeds that are larger than the WB v reeds.  Two questions arise.  What does VKA mean by a MAC manifold?  Is it reasonable to ban a piece of original equipment for a 6.1 Macs?

Smokey
Yes it is reasonable. they are trying to get everyone on some type level playing field as to air/fuel into the engine. I lobbied hard for this because many were trying to take advantage of a gray area. When it said "small manifold" some considered even a V6 small because it was smaller than a V12. Many will use any excuse to locate the largest flowing piece they have available. This is why the reed had to to be specified. Gray areas have to be removed in many classes for them to survive. This year we had several in our area that were using the 91 style v reed and big carb and we let them run because they were new and inexperienced in the class but once you have had time to get the correct parts one needs to be sure they run them or disqualify themselves if they finish up front.
(11-26-2019, 10:46 PM)steve welte Wrote: Yes it is reasonable. they are trying to get everyone on some type level playing field as to air/fuel into the engine. I lobbied hard for this because many were trying to take advantage of a gray area. When it said "small manifold" some considered even a V6 small because it was smaller than a V12. Many will use any excuse to locate the largest flowing piece they have available. This is why the reed had to to be specified. Gray areas have to be removed in many classes for them to survive. This year we had several in our area that were using the 91 style v reed and big carb and we let them run because they were new and inexperienced in the class but once you have had time to get the correct parts one needs to be sure they run them or disqualify themselves if they finish up front.

I didn't mention that the MC30 was for a mac flat back carb.  At Bushnell and Barnesville an attractive young lady who couldn't weigh more than 90 pounds with a Haddock mac buries all the old (aka heavy) sportsman rears and usually runs down the 6.1s with pipes, oil clutches, & big carbs.  That kind of imbalance won't be overcome with a bit more reed area.
I would always allow that manifold in Sportsman rear at Avon.
Wouldn't allow a V12 or V6 but the 1962 Mac30 manifold is certainly allowed at our event.

No sense even trying to compete with the person you mentioned as well as her brother. When they show up everyone else is shooting for 2nd or 3rd.  Top engine builder, top kart set-ups , light weight and fabulous driving skill. I just let them go by and have fun with the rest of the pack.

My 2 cents