Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 55

Over in the corner sitting on top of the desk was a Smith Corona typewriter. Steve was really having a good time with this. He was laughing and kept pointing his finger at the typewriter. This thing even works too. Steve hands me a piece of paper with some gobbley gook letters and symbols typed on it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4730]
Smith Corona

Hey Steve, this is so way cool. Thanks a bunch. I think my being sincere took all of the fun out of his moment just now. So I sit down and adjust myself then roll the paper in and hit the carriage return. It is double spaced and sets up the piece of paper on the left margin. Then go super crazy typing like a profesional.

There are several practice lines we all had to do in class. Unfortunately all you end up doing is memorizing the key strokes. Not really improving your typing skills. But it does make it look like you really know how to type. Like a super pro secretary.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." I typed this so fast, obviously from way too much repetitive practicing, that Steve went completely in speechless mode. He exhaled a large gasp of air and said, Holy Crap! You can type! I mean really type! That is amazing. I have never seen anyone type that fast before. Is it for real? Or are you just typing junk like I did? I pulled out the piece of paper and handed it to him.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4731]
Typed out

There is no way you learned to type that fast in summer school. Its impossible. Not in just two weeks. That is unreal. "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." He looked at every word. There isnt a mistake one here. Not one thing wrong. Thats impossible. Its totally impossible.

What is impossible Steve? You know, I think this typewriter is going to save me a bunch of grief. I pulled out a notebook that has been my go-to for everything we have been doing out here since the Cates kart project started. It is all written long hand and difficult to read.

Lots of crossed out sentences and rewrites outside of the margins on the notebook paper. Some pages are penciled others using a pen. I used a black marker on a few pages. That was a big one time mistake. Smears, scribbles and dirty handed finger prints everywhere too. There are already pictures taped on some pages. Captions under each with an explaination of what the picture is.

You had a great idea Steve. Remember back when you suggested we document all the stuff that has been done on the kart?. I am still keeping a log on everything we have been working on. But is nearly unledgable for even me to read back thru now. I dont remember a lot of why part of this was even written down. This makes no sense now going back over and reading some of the information here.

I cant even read much of my own hand writing now. Steve grabs my notebook and starts thumbing thru it. Wow, I am impressed. I didnt think you were still keeping notes on all this stuff. You have added a ton more since last time I let my fingers do the walking. Man your writing is easy enough to read. He started to read out loud, almost without a hitch.

You do need to make some serious corrections. Grammar not so bad, but run-on sentences, using the same words over again. Too many times using "I". Content is great tho. Steve kept reading thru the notebook for a while.

After studying it over, he says, Not bad man. Really not bad. I see you started to figure things out in the later pages. Not so much repetitive verbage. I think if you go back and rewrite some of the early stuff again, it will be more than worth the trouble when finished.

Here you need to use that picture for this paragraph. Then drop this one out completely. Add, here let me look thru these for a minute. Yea, here is the picture I remember you took. It needs to go on this page. Yes sirree, it is going to work. Now makes a lot more sense and easier to understand. So you really do like the typewriter?

Heck yea Steve. I am so tired of pushing that pencil. My fingers hurt and cramp up at night after a few pages. Maybe I can start typing all of this stuff out from now on. I would have preferred an Underwood tho. I look up and then start laughing at Steve. He had lost all expression on his face.

Man I just picked this out of the next door neighbors trash on my way over earlier. I almost stopped and pitched it in the creek. Was getting way to heavy just to carry over for a joke. Man I didnt really think you would actually want it for real.

Steve, when did you become such a literary professor? Huh? I aint, man. Just when I used to read comic books a lot. Maybe before meeting you, I guess. The good ones have a certain characteristic flow. When you can picture what is written, makes for a much better read. Only the really good comics are that way. I remember The Witness, Black Marvel and The Destroyer. You could almost remove the pictures and still get it just from what is written. But then it wouldnt be a comic book. Sure aint worth reading without the cool pictures.

Attached Files
.jpg   Typewriter smith corona.jpg (Size: 791.16 KB / Downloads: 175)
.jpg   Typewriting.jpg (Size: 744.28 KB / Downloads: 175)
Chapter 56

For no real good reason I decided to try and bore out one of these Tillotson carburetors. After finding the sales information on the new HL-115, I was curious about how big one of the chainsaw carburetors could go. So while I was figuring out how to do it on the little Craftsman lathe, my mind just wondered back in time. It was over three years ago. Wow time sure flies. I cant believe it has been that long already. I really didnt know what to say.

Shortly before my tenth birthday, grandpa offered me an engine lathe. I sort of knew what a lathe was. But didnt really know what it had to do with engines. He said it was someone elses project picked up at a yard sale some time back. He had intended to rebuild it for himself, but so far it just sat in a box for too many years.

Since I had been so obsessed with small engines and tearing all kinds of lawnmowers and bicycles apart to see how they were made, then maybe it would be of some interest to me eventually. Grandpa even offered to help with the rebuilding when they visited. This way he could make sure it went together correctly and could help me with anything I got snagged on.

The day it showed up, snagged didnt even come close to what it got me. There was just a box of parts. I had no idea of what it even supposed to look like. Grandpa must have seen the apprehension in my facial expression. I dont know exactly what a blank stare looked like just then, but there must have been one on my face for sure.

Grandpa told me just put it aside and the next trip over we could look at it again together. Wow, what a relief. I surely didnt want to disappoint him. If he thought I could have any chance of getting this lathe together and running, by golly I didnt want to let him down.

During that time I also decided to find out exactly what it had to do with engines. After much frustration, the only thing I could actually match up with engines and lathes is the era when steam engines came into existence. The types of lathes designed that were capable of producing these parts was commonly referred to as an engine lathe.

But still so vague that didnt really seem valid. It also referred to a conventional style lathe that had a slide and power feed. I am thinking just going with it and so long as nobody asks specifically if I know, then dont go there. At least until I know for sure. If I ever will know at all? I have heard it always when someone is referring to a standard lathe.

There are other types of lathes that have no reference to "engine". This is now sort of making sense. A turret lathe is not an engine lathe. A wood lathe is not an engine lathe. Maybe I am on to something. Just nod if anyone refers to one and assume it is this style. Just a standard lathe.

I guess some long time ago way in the past you didnt have the option of different types, since nobody had actually invented them yet. No need to invent an engine lathe if the steam engine hasnt even been built or have any purpose. But then again, what machine are you going to use to build a lathe anyway?

There was always a sparkle in my grandfathers eyes when he talked about making things on a machine. The satisfaction of actually making a part yourself, even if it wasnt anything complicated or expensive. Just for all the time wasted driving to the hardware store and digging thru shelves, drawers and boxes for something, then still not always finding what you are looking for.

You also need to factor in the cost of that one part. If you had to work for that money, then trade it for something that someone else is making money on, well there was always another option. Instead, spend that same time figuring out how it is made and try to make it for yourself.

What about something that is no longer available or even exists? But then what doesnt exist these days? Its 1961, surely there cant be that much more to discover. Just about everything you could possibly want or need has been or already being made.

That day he brought that box of parts over was overwhelming to me as I look back now. But the determination I put forth was nothing short of miraculous. With each visit, he explained every component of the lathe and what I should do with it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4732]
Lathe parts1
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4733]
Lathe parts2

He started out with me working on individual pieces at first. I would disassemble the smaller assemblies. Then clean all the pieces up and be ready when he dropped by to help with putting all them back together. With each visit I would repeat this and it became so much easier after the first bits of stuff started going back together.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4734]
Lathe parts3
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4735]
Lathe parts5

Eventually those little pieces turned into bigger parts. Over time we would start to assemble these all back on the lathe bed.Then it was resembling something more than odd shaped steel and iron. It must have taken two years before the lathe was actually sitting on a table top and appeared to resemble anything close to a functional machine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4736]
Lathe parts6

I actually looked forward to making more progress when this project started taking shape like the pictures he would always bring over. These would help to encourage me with what it was supposed to actually look like completed one day.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4737]
Craftsman lathe1

That day came and went. The lathe then sat for many more months. I really didnt have any idea of what it could be used for just yet. Eventually it became handy to polish lawn mower crankshafts, piston pins, valves, rusty bolts, and other things that could be chucked up and spun around.

Before long I actually made my very first part. It was a nut for the rear axle on my bicycle. Those oddball threads that dont jive with standard nuts and bolts. Why do bicycles have to be made in weird sizes? What else does a 17/32, 19/32 and 25/32" wrench ever fit anyway?

From that time I finally started making things on the lathe, it opened up my eyes to so much more. Since then the lathe has become an extension of my hands. Unfortunately the more I use it, the more I find its limitations. If it were only a 12 inch lathe. I could do so much more. Wow, that would be so awesome.

I was really starting to understand how grandpa felt when describing things he had made. Especially for other people. You fix something for one person. They tell two people, and so on. Before long you find yourself having to turn down doing things or charge them something for your time.

This actually ran off a lot of people who just seemed to think it was no big deal to fix something. So long as it was someone else doing the work. Grandpa had learned a big lesson like this about some people. He tried to explain this to me, but didnt really sink in just yet.

This also opened up one of those life lessons that is supposed to be passed down from generation to generation.  Everyone eventually gets some type of eye opening lecture about life. Might be minor and not really useful. Or one that slaps you hard in the face. You know like a brick.

One day I was so impressed with myself. At least for the first few times after that. It made me proud to tell him about it. I had fixed something for a neighbor using the lathe. The man was very pleased and said so plenty of times. Mentioned it every time I saw him. I was thanked, but didnt see that neighbor again until something else needed repair. Same thing happened next time.

But things changed. I was raved about from this person until it was starting to annoy me. One more time I didnt see this neighbor until another problem was needing addressed. It was urgent to get this one thing fixed right away. So urgent he assured me, that I spent most of the evening working my butt off and got it done. Neighbor was thrilled and left.

Unfortunately I got an unacceptable grade on an unfinished assignment the next day. These friendly favors now had officially stopped. The next time my neighbor dropped in for an expected quicky fix, he got mad when I tried to explain to him my homework had to come first. I didnt mind helping out, but it would be the weekend before I could get started. This neighbor got mad, said a few thing under his breath and left. I have not seen him since.

After telling grandpa this story about the neighbor, we sat down in the garage and he went to explaining about people. First thing he did was ask if I had a couple of Mountain Dews we could drink together. I didnt realize he knew I drank these or he even liked them. I quickly grabbed a couple of them and returned out to the garage.

He gets comfortable in a chair. Then takes a few sips and just sits there quiet for a moment. This is the part where he clears his throat first. There are basically three types of people in the world you will meet during your life. The shakers, the makers and the takers. He then went on to tell me I would eventually find myself fitting in one or two of these types.

The shakers he explained are people that are more carried by their emotions. The react to how they feel more than make logical responsible decisions. They usually act before thinking. These are also people that might seem mad at the world. Nothing is ever right. They might complain about everything. Nothing is ever good enough.

Sometimes these people can stir the pot enough so positive changes are made and everyone can benefit from. Other times it may only be to benefit themselves. There are some people who like to protest about everything. Many politicians may also fit in this group.

There are people that just think they should be in control or lead others may fit here. Control freaks may be people that fit too. These people usually think they are smarter for whatever reason. No amount of proving otherwise will change their minds tho.

He goes on and on about this group. So much so, I had to drown most of it out. This is a large group. Some explanations of them needed more explanations. But too much to comprehend or absorb right now. I would have to pick up on this later in a few years when I had some real world experience with this type.

Next, he goes on. You have the makers. These are usually more level headed thinkers and doer's. These are the people that make things obviously. From simply flipping burgers at a hamburger joint to building skyscrapers. They are the working class. People that prefer to do "hands on" than delegate work to others. They dont usually rely or expect others to do things for them.

There is a wide range of people that fit here too. They include the inventors to garbage collectors. From scientists to plumbers. Without these people nothing would ever get done. Many of these people will take full responsibility for something when things go wrong. They dont try to point the blame on others for their own failures or short comings. Some of them will actually learn from their own mistakes and move forward.

The other main group are the takers. These people are the ones that prefer to have other people do the hard work. If they can get someone else to do something then they are happy. These people would prefer to not put much thought in ways to solve their own problems. It usually is someone elses fault to them.

They might feel oppressed, or deserving of things they didnt work for. They can be jealous and envious of others that have things they dont. But these people see no reason they should have to work hard to get things they want or other people have.

These takers may also think their problems are due to others. They tend to blame other people for their own shortcomings mistakes and troubles. They would likely sit on their lazy asses and complain than so something about it.

Woh, there grandpa. Hold on a minute. Did I hear you right? Thinking all this to my self right then. Did he say what it sounded like? That is an absolute first. I have never head him use any type of course language ever in my life. Or even really say bad about anyone either.

Maybe I am not ready to grow up just yet. How about we hold off a few more years for the rest of this lecture. Its possible this one could stunt my growth. You dont want that on your shoulders, do you? OK maybe I am just getting overworked with this. Brain is just taking in too much at one time. He stopped for a moment and took a few more sips. Maybe the expression on my face or lack of one may have caused him notice.

As he continues talking, These people may lack the motivation to work hard in order to achieve or acquire something they might want. So they sit around and feel it is unfair that others have things they dont. They also have no problem taking from someone that offers help without any obligation to repay or make good of favors or work done.

If they can get someone else to do something, then one less thing they have to do themselves. If someone else is willing, then they are first in line to take advantage of it. You will meet a lot of these type people in your life as you grow up. Be very careful because these types might just take advantage of you and everything you have if there is a chance they can get away with it.

You will find out these types usually get in the habit of taking from others. If that stops they are also the first to start complaining about how unjust life is after loosing some of the freebies that had been given their way. Nothing short of more handouts will ever make them satisfied enough either.

To some degree most thugs, thieves and common criminals fit into this profile. People can also fit in two or all three types. You just need to be aware, so not to get taken advantage of. Do you understand what I am talking about?

OK, after that little life lesson speech, I was completely blown away. I have also never seen this side of my grandfather before. A lot more worldly and knowledgeable than I had ever given any thought about before. Man do I have a lot to learn before growing up.

He sat there quietly for a few more minutes. Then finished the Mountain Dew and just smiled at me. This is also the first time me and grandpa had any deeper conversation than what I was familiar with at home. He just blew me away. I was overwhelmed and speechless after that. He patted me on my head and said growing up is not all that difficult. You just need little bits and pieces of it at a time.

Just like putting the lathe back together. Might seem overwhelming at first, but one piece at a time, and look what you have accomplished. This is enough for now. Maybe even for a couple more years. I just looked up and nodded my head up and down to him with my mouth wide open. I had nothing to say. Is this what I had to look forward to as I was approaching my 12th birthday back then? Will it get even more complicated?

After this one time life lesson, I had on many occasions wanted to try and follow up with questions. But there was always a loss of words when I tried to ask something. There was so much more he had covered that day, I still havent been able to absorb it. Lost somewhere between my frontal lobe and cerebel cortex.

Could just be in cold storage until the need to retrieve it comes sometime in the very distant future. Maybe one day, I will get that cold chill running down my spine, and some of the things he tried to explain will finally fall in place and make more sense. Or maybe just keep it all locked up for safe keeping.

Attached Files
.jpg   Craftsman parts1.jpg (Size: 99.45 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts2.jpg (Size: 98.28 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts3.jpg (Size: 122.58 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts5.jpg (Size: 92.1 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts6.jpg (Size: 83.84 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman lathe1.jpg (Size: 41.1 KB / Downloads: 151)
Chapter 57

Another day me and Steve are out just beating a dead horse in the garage again. We have been going on and on about what direction should be taken to start racing. All of our options seem to have some type of hitch. Always a snag along the way. Usually coming up short due to money or time constraints. Steve is complaining about me spending too much time obsessing about what modifications could be done on the engines when we dont even have the kart completely finished yet.

There is one issue that keeps coming up with having only one kart to share. That is causing some tension between us. How hard could it be to build another kart Steve? It wouldnt be much different than repairing the Cates. We sort of replaced most of that frame anyway. Why not copy it close as we can? Then work on a pair of engines. It sounds like a solid enough plan. But things keep coming up that take us away from our target.

So Terry, do we have enough tubing to copy this frame? Sure, there is tons of it left. More than enough. Good then lets do it. Stay focused on doing nothing else but building another frame until we are finished. I can come over just about every day. We work together this way and get it built. I know we can do it. Ok? Sure, Steve, if you think it will work out. Then lets make something happen this time.

Later that evening after dinner I talked everything over with dad. He asked how confident I was to proceed with this plan. I didnt see any other alternative right now. We both want to race. But only one kart to share isnt really going to work out so well. Dad seemed to agree with me on this.

I asked if he would help out welding so there was no danger of that holding things up. He said if I focused on setting the frame parts and mock up a simple jig to hold them, then he would put the time in and make sure the welding was taken care of. Under the one condition I was there thru every step until his part was finished.

It would be prudent for me to learn everything I could while he was doing this part of the work. If I didnt think it was that important to stay involved with this step of the build then it wasnt worth it to him offering his time. I agreed without hesitation. I understood about not being out playing around somewhere else while we was here welding my project together.

So for the next week I focused solely on making the components to another frame. I had already made a jig of sorts from wood planks the last time repairing the Cates. It should work just as good again. Make sure to double check the measurements before everything gets welded solid. I can tack the sections together when things are right. Then maybe get dad to look it over really carefully and make sure there is nothing that has been overlooked.

That first half of the week was a nightmare. Nothing seemed to work out as I was expecting. I cut the tubing too short, got the angles wrong. Steve didnt drill holes in the right place. We kept getting in each others space, way too much. It was getting frustrating. The week was far from being over, but we needed a break from each other. I finally gave up for the day and went inside and did nothing but watch tv. Steve left earlier feeling the same way.

While watching an episode of The Rifleman, my mind was somewhere else. It was focused on the mistakes I kept making and why they happened. Eventually me and my brain shut down without any warning. I woke up the next day much later and still in the family room listening to static on the TV. It was quiet and dark outside. But I was wide awake. Time to make some progress. Everyone else was still well asleep.

I looked in the old fridge next to the sofa in the family room to see if there was another Mountain Dew stashed in there. Sure enough, but only one was left. It was nice and cold. Even a little bit of ice formed on the bottle. Perfect. This will hit the spot. I drink way too many of these things.

My throat was dry and parched. I must have fallen asleep with my mouth wide open. It needed some massaging bubbles to wash out that gritty feel. A major sugar fix was something that was needed too. So out to the garage I went and then just let my fingers do what they do best sometimes. But other times they tend to do not so well. I started out again and cut more tubing.

Checking angles, carefully making sure I had right and left side pieces cut exactly the same this time. The sun rose without any indifference from me. Right now I didnt care what time it was. By noon, I was sitting there feeling really good about myself. Every part of this new frame was cut and almost ready for welding together. I stayed with it.

At first I wanted to stop and reward myself for finally accomplishing something. For what reason tho? I wasted enough time already this week and now playing catch up. Afternoon made its way and then left with the sun hanging low in the western sky. I was beat. The kart frame pieces fit together better than any previous attempts. I was satisfied and ready to tack weld all the parts in place.

Dad comes in after shortly after I had called it quits for the day. It was time for some life saving nourishment. I was hungry. After a short conversation with him, I retired to the kitchen. Mom had been thoughtful enough to make a plate for me and left it in the fridge.

There was great big heaping bowl of Wolf Brand Chili. A stack of Saltines, shredded cheddar cheese and diced onions piled on the plate. OK, this will work great. After heating the chili back up, I scarf down everything there on the plate.

Then my mouth opened with an uncontrollable yawn. I could not shake it off. Right in the middle of me stretching my jaw, a loud belch made its way out of my mouth. Man that felt good. I looked around hoping nobody else was in the burp zone. Thank goodness, that would have been totally uncouth.

I immediately head back outside to the garage a little bit tired but in very good spirits. Dad was measuring the diagonals and straight lengths of the frame sections. You look beat, he tells me. Are you up to getting this frame welded tonight?

From nowhere I had a huge burst of new energy. Yes sir, I am more than up to it. OK, then lets get started. It looks like you have this setup more than close enough to make a good frame. Can you hand me the welding hood over there? Flip the switch on the welder so we can get started.

Dad spent over an hour arc welding the frame together. I held parts, even using the hammer handle to push down some places. Way too many times I didnt get my eyes closed fast enough when the welding started. There is a reason for wearing that hood with a very dark lens.

If that arc struck before my eyes were closed I was first blinded then saw white spots every time. This caused me to sit back and wait a few minutes rubbing my eyes and waiting for them to adjust back to normal again. I need to close my eyes when dad warns me. But I wanted to make sure everything is exactly right before the welding starts.

In a somewhat state of near exhaustion, I realized dad had finished up all of the welding. Even the spindles were completely done. But now everything was sort of moving in slow motion. Dad puts his arm around me and we go in to the house.

Boy, I think you need to hit the hay. But first go wash your hands and face before retiring. You look like a train wreck. I had no argument there. Thanks for your help dad. After a quick scrub, I face planted into my pillow and was gone for the night.

Sometime around noon the next day I opened my eyes. They were sort of burning and very sore. My vision was worse than blurry. This feels like sand in my eyes. Right then I knew what the problem was. Even tho I tried my best not to stare at the welding, there was too many times I got blinded when dad had struck an arc.

While making sure everything was clamped or held correctly, I didnt always get my eyes closed in time. This is going to suck, bigly. For the next couple of days, my eyes are going to sting and feel like gas had been splashed in them. You are never supposed to watch while someone is welding. It does burn your eyes.

Fortunately mine are just slightly torched. The pain tho is going to make me miserable until the tiny blisters go away. Today I decided to stay bedridden. Lights were kept off, and I didnt do much else but wait until the pain subsided.

Mom and dad had checked me over thoroughly and relieved my eyes were not severely burned. But even with a light dose of misery, the pain is still tough to deal with. Dad knew exactly what happened when I first told him my eyes hurt. My explanation of the pain and sight had reassured him the danger was minimal but still be slow to pass.

Just a reminder to never find yourself looking at something being welded. It can cause permanent damage and even blindness. I assured him it would not happen again. This pain even tho minor compared to what could have been more serious is not one I want to ever experience again.

Much later that evening I was up to getting around. I have heard that your eyes heal faster than any other parts of your body. That I am thankful for. The pain was not as unbearable, but any amount of light brought back the unconscionable burn I had experienced earlier.

I did eat a normal meal, but alone in the dark. Afterwards I didnt feel any reason not to retire back to bed. Sooner than later. It was an uncomfortable night, waking several times finding out I had been rubbing my eyes while asleep.

This didnt help subdue the pain. Well it did, but only while I was rubbing them. Naturally it just got much worse. Time for a couple of St Josephs childrens aspirin and I returned to bed. Mom always reminded me never go past recommended dosage on the bottle, but since I was a big kid now, thinking two should work twice as good.

The next morning I woke early in a better state of mind. My eyes were crusty feeling. But not like the sandpaper feel from the day before. More mellowed over. But the crusty buildup had kept me from being able to open my eyes. They were more or less glued shut. Instead of going off in total freak out mode, I resided to lay back down and enjoy the lesser bit of pain with my eyes nailed shut for now.

Sometime after noon, I woke again. This time feeling much better. My eyes were still stuck closed, but the pain was now easily bearable. I rubbed them slightly and broke the crust loose. At first just the slightest amount of light caused my eyes to burn intensely again. Then as they adjusted the pain subsided.

Just keep my eyes looking down and it was now tolerable to see again. Wow that was miserable. I dont want to ever go down this road again. Dad said this was only a minor case of blisters. I could not even fathom it being any worse.

By the evening, I was up and moving around. Had a pair of those temporary medical eye glasses on. Seems everyone that has been to the eye doctor at one time has a pair around. I found them on my desk. Dad must have put them there while I was asleep.

I get up enough nerve to head outside since the moon was full up tonight. It was bright but not the painful feeling like earlier in the afternoon. Mom had called the doctor and explained the problem. He sent a prescription to get picked up from the drug store. Some eye drops to ease the severity of the pain and an antibiotic to prevent infection.

Except to the slight amount of excessive tears my eyes were experiencing they felt a lot better. I could at least focus on things. Just couldnt stare too long without the pain returning. Mom gave me the lecture about not getting involved in anything for the next couple of days. No watching the television either. Indoors and mostly resting my eyes.

I realized this was going to be a problem. My eyes were feeling much better after the drops and I had renewed strength from that drain being lifted. I was ready to get back even if only semi-focused on the kart. A guy can go crazy doing nothing for very long.

A quick trip out to the garage and I saw someone had been already working on what I left in the temporary jig from a couple of nights ago. The kart frame had been scrubbed clean and partially assembled. We had most of the parts to get is going back together. But still needed several things to assemble much farther along.

The frame had been cleaned down to raw metal. I saw there were tabs welded to bottom of frame now for the floorpan to bolt up. Just exactly what Mr Cates had suggested we do to the old one. Man this looks a lot better than the original frame. Sure hope it works as well.

I had not talked to Steve since my little mishap. But he stayed focused on the kart by himself. I noticed a new 5/8" steering shaft kit from Azusa. Also a set of wheels, along with sprocket hub and a Bendix brake. Most of these were used parts, but looked just fine.

There was a couple of 1/4 inch rods and even another Cates butterfly steering wheel. It had one of the arms welded, but the repair didnt seem to be any problem. Hum, wonder where Steve came up with this stuff?

On the welding table, Steve had already cut some long thin steel plates that were triangular in shape. Also some thicker pieces cut out matching the bearing hangers for rear axle. Wow! Looks like this kart is going to really happen. And soon.

As I walked back in the house, my body just stopped and froze there. I realized we dont have any motors that run yet. Only boxes of old parts. Guess I need to get it in gear and commit to making a pair of engines happen. And like really soon!
Well this story has taken a life of its own. It has been very fulfilling writing this. I am actually looking forward to finding out what happens next. It only took 57 chapters to finally come up with a title. Hope everyone enjoys reading the story.

If you havent checked back in the last few days, be sure to catch up on this last chapter. One step closer to making a trip out to the track.
Chapter 58

Why did it take so long? Its been four months. The Cates kart made some decent progress and then stopped. What happened? The last four months have flown by and now more than a month in to summer. We are no closer to getting to the track than when school let out.

Sure there have been a few setbacks. We have gotten sidetracked more than once. All of those engines that showed up right when we needed them didnt help us any just yet. All I have wanted to do is race karts. But seems everything else is happening at break neck speed and no time left to spend towards anything that will get us to the track.

We now have two Cates karts. Well almost two of them. Unfortunately they are both only partially assembled. There are plenty of engines, but none are put together running and ready to bolt on the unfinished karts. This is frustrating to the inth degree. The second time I have said that and still dont even know what it is supposed to mean.

It is yet another Monday again. Happens the same time every week. Even tho my typing class was finished, summer school is still in session. Just about one more month left. Today I am heading back up to school. Back to the science class. But this time to honor my promise to Mr Pennington.

He asked me to keep him up to speed on what I worked out with the flywheels. I dont know why he would be really interested, but doesnt matter. That was the agreement. Classes should be just about over for the day. It is early afternoon. I dont want to interrupt his class like that one visit.

My plan is to do a quick in and out when his class is done today. That way I dont have to bore Mr Pennington to death. Also I pay up my end of the agreement with him. Hopefully, he will be ready to leave for the day and just run me off. Oh well, time to get it over with. I have my notebook with me to make it look good.

Since the typewriter showed up I spent some late hours typing up these hand written pages. Geez that was a lot of work. But Steve was correct. I was able to rewrite most of the early stuff and it really makes more sense now. It is actually more informative than just scribbled gibberish like before. I really dont know why I even brought it up here. Mr Pennington wouldnt have any interest in the stuff.

The other students are walking out right now, so his class must have just finished. I go on in and say my hello. He looks up from his desk and gets a big smile on is face. Hello, Mr Bentley. Oh noes. Back to the Mr. thing again. I wish he would use my first name. Mr belongs to my dad, not me.

I just stopped by to update you on my findings like I promised. Its no big deal if you are not that interested. It helped me out of a jam. I do want to thank you for putting up with me. I sit down in the chair up against one side of his desk. Then open up the notebook to the page with the information of the flywheels.

Are you kidding? I am very interested in what you found out. By the way, I talked to Lynn a couple weekends ago at the track. I had mentioned to him about a graduated former student that was deeply involved in something I assume is related to racing karts. Would I be correct in that assumption?

When I mentioned your name he raised an eyebrow and garnered a big smile across his face. May I also assume you are the reference to the Terry he was going on about? He asked me about what you were up to. He has not been back the the Fabens track since the night of an accident that you were involved in. Is that right? I was talking with him at the Whizzer kart track. I guess you normally race at Fabens Speedway, since it is so close by. Have you been to Whizzer to see our new facility?

Lynn? The track, Huh? Mr Cates? You know each other? Whizzer? The track? Where is it? Why were you out there? Wow I am really confused right now. Mr Pennington, can you like start at the beginning and fill me in on what we are talking about?

He is looking over my notes about the flywheels and reads farther on about other parts of the Clintons I have compiled information on. Very good and informative. You are starting to build a good data base. Keep it up. This is very solid and can be used for future developments.

Oh by the way I am the official scoring director at the Whizzer kart track. I do race some nights, but mostly as of late, been too occupied with keeping all of the scoring duties up to par. We have just installed a new timing light system. It can now handle two karts on the track simultaneously.

The kart I have is manufactured over in Shreveport. I picked it up last year. It is a Simplex Mark II. Currently the kart is powered by a single McCulloch model Mc-6 engine. But I have been considering the Senior bushing class. It looks like a bunch of fun. Not as much work and I dont need to spend all that time preparing it to race every week.

This might give me an option to race some nights even if I am working the scoring tower. When I saw those flywheels, my first thoughts were for karts. But we never discussed what you were doing the research for. But either way, I thought the information may still come in handy even if you were doing it for something else. That is why I wanted to be kept in the loop, so to speak with your project.

Lynn had been telling a few guys about a little upset at Fabens that happened a few months ago. He seemed to think he was partially responsible for a brand new potential driver getting hurt. He did say how much relieved he was a few days later to find out the person in question was in good spirits and still very interested in getting to race.

He didnt know what you were doing as of late. He has not talked to you in several months. Are you currently racing or still planning too? Yes sir, I mean my plans are to start racing. Just so many things I need to get done before it happens. I am about to think it may not even happen this summer. The more I focus on getting my kart together, the more things that need to be done.

I really want to build up a super cool Clinton, since that what I have several of. But happen to be short of several things, including two engines that are together and running right now. This is one of the things I am trying to resolve soon as possible. I dont even have any safety gear yet.

Well Mr Bentley, I dont want to hold you up and take any more of your time today. I know exactly where you are coming from. If there is anything I can do to help out, you know where to find me for the rest of this month. If you ever get a chance to come out to the Whizzer kart track, be sure to look me up there. I will be across on the back side of the straightaway in that scoring tower most race nights.
Chapter 59

Another week and we actually have two nearly complete karts. I am way impressed. Steve had spent most of his more recent earnings on all of those kart parts. He managed to get his dad to take him over to Ward Guys Kart Shop on Harry Hines. There was a cabinet job his dad was working on close by, so Steve bought as much of the parts he had money for. All of this in the few days my eyes were down for a mandatory pitstop and repairs.

So now we are running out of excuses to not having these karts near completion. Every chance I had some spare time by myself, focused on readying those engine parts for final assembly. For the interum I chose to keep the engines stock. Well just copying the Clinton on the Cates kart. The big alteration was to swap out the bushing cranks and rods with needle bearings.

We had enough extra spares. Is that even possible? Extra parts without tearing down any of the mostly complete engines to convert these two engines over. My reasoning is for longevity. We can get very much needed track time. Also less likely to have one fail when we finally get the chance to race.

The weekend races dont have tech and nobody is going to complain since we are not going to be competitive anyway. I wanted track time, not working on the engines in the pits trying to band-aid them if something fails. This makes lots of sense to me.

After what seemed like all summer we are making serious headway. The final pieces were welded on the new frame. I was able to weld on these parts myself. The bearing hangers were thick enough for me to be comfortable doing the work without burning thru the rails.

Maybe all this time learning and practicing is starting to pay off. I spent lots of evenings just running beads. At first I wasnt too happy. But didnt take long before the welds were acceptable. The welds looked more than decent now and I was not at all concerned they would fail. Sometimes you just know this when everything goes well.

It was so tempting to go ahead and test drive one of the bored out carburetors. But for some unknown reason, common sense ended up prevailing. I chose to leave these first two carbs stock. Just copied the HL-15 and assembled an extra one. They are all the same size, just different fuel passages and circuits. Maybe eventually I might get brave enough to try out a modified carburetor and will hopefully breathe better. It sure cant hurt. Well I hope that is the case.

Since there was only one Palmini intake manifold with the pyramid reed assembly, I chose to use the stock intake manifolds. After some blending to decrease turbulence, I also changed the reed petals to ones from the chainsaw engines. They are a lot larger. It didnt take too much altering to make them fit. But the reed openings are now really big. I like that.

For these first two manifolds, I opened them up much more from stock. If they really make a difference, then I will go back and make them ever larger. But for now, just need to get the engines together and running. Maybe later with a bored out carburetor and more free flowing intakes, well I can dream. One step at a time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4750]
intake manifolds

I traced the outline of reed petal, then ground the openings just a hair smaller and thinned the bridge in between. The passage was opened up best that I could do all the way back to the carburetor flange. It seemed the logical approach to making the stock ones work better. So I was hoping again.

The first kart put back together complete is obviously the Cates. It was almost finished originally before we decided to tear the engine all apart. This turned out to be a very good call tho. We have learned a ton of things because of all the time researching, reading magazine articles and repair manuals.

Without too many setbacks Steves kart was finally coming together. It is really impressive looking too. We made some stupid compromises initially. Just to get the kart assembled. But before it was even started up, we went back through everything that was not really smart and tried to fix it. At least better than it was at first.

Dad made several surprise inspections during assembly. He caught plenty of things that were just not right. After some explanations and rework on a few details, I was much more confident that both karts were getting very close to being ready.

We keep pushing forward. A trip up to Gasset for a new clutch had to happen. While there, Mr Grimes had mentioned of another possible work day, if I was interested. Yes definitely, if only there were a few more days in every week. Then might be able to get all this stuff done before summer gets too far along.

By now I was all out of my savings money for the karts. Well my piggy bank money anyway. But it was there for that purpose. The engines started adding up on costs too. Like for gaskets, diaphragm kits, new chain, a few extra gears, spark plugs, gas, oil, throttle cables, nuts and bolts. It just never seemed to end.

I had already mowed my grannys yard several times. Tried my best to hold on to that money. Ms Tally also got the yard treatment a few times. Days seemed to be passing so fast, I didnt even get much covered on all of the work we did already.

I need to go back and take pictures of some things so the journal we are keeping on the build will be up to date. Right now it is weeks behind. Lots of hand scribbled notes, but nothing organized like it should be. Seems like getting the actual work done has taken up so much time, didnt leave any left for the documentation to stay current.

Finally in the middle of the afternoon, Steve and I have both karts together and working. In the last couple of days, we have pushed each other around taking turns on both karts. Even pulled them behind our bikes. But now the engines are done everything is in full swing, and ready for our first test run.

Out in the street the plan is we are going to just do a quick couple of passes and see what problems still need to be addressed. With both the karts sitting side by side running, we give each other a thumbs up. After all the time we have put in to getting this far, well its time to go! And like right now.

Since the motors are assembled with existing used parts, there is no reason to be worried about break in or issues with that. By now they have been started numerous times. Just not connected and with a driver present. We both hammer down on the gas and go launching forward, then headed to our destination, which is at the end of the street.

The street is only a block long. It is a dead end to a rocky field with dirt paths leading away in several directions. We were not going all that fast at first. Just hitting the throttle and backing off. Making sure the kart stops, and nothing falls off or breaks in two pieces. At the end of the street we make a quick turn around and now just go all out racing each other back the other way.

What I thought was interesting is how much these little motors smoked. There were separate trails of the routes we both took down the street from our first run. I can see the coiled trails of smoke from Steves zig-zagging back and forth all the way down. Except for one jog, mine was mostly just a straight line to end of the street.

There was even big puffy plumes when we were on the gas and voids from letting off. This is super cool to see. There is no doubt from all the noise we were making right now, several people were looking to see what it was all about. No reason to stop there. How many runs should we make today?

The fun factor is way off the scale. Both karts seemed to run equally close to each other. But without actual on track conditions, hard to tell how well the engines would do in real competition. Maybe if it were just me and Steve racing against each other, then might be real close. But running in a straight line doesnt make for any solid conclusions.

We make another turn around and head back down to the dead end. Then turn back around again on our final run just in time to see Sheriff Andy Taylor hitting the gumball machine lights on top of his black and white 1960 Ford Galaxie. Oh CRAP! We are in trouble now. Me and Steve just got caught. We are guilty as charged. This isnt going to go well.

As we pull off to the side of the road and kill the engines, the smoke trail catches up. I see it isnt really Sheriff Taylor. That just happened to be the first thing going through my mind when the lights started flashing. If it was him, ole Barney Fife would be stepping out of the passenger side of police car. Maybe even waving his pistol around and yelling at both of us. You darn kids! Just about the time his pistol goes off and his one and only bullet has been discharged.

It is amazing how much can drift through your mind in those split seconds when you are no longer in control of a given situation. Now is just about not in control as I could ever imagine. I am guessing it is somewhere around 4:30. It seems matters could only go down hill from here. And naturally, then it gets worse. Dad is coming home from work. He was just driving down the hill on Longhorn while we were stepping out of the karts on Bar-X.

If guilty needed a picture, it would be me and Steve right now. We are busted. Twice in fact. Not only by the two police, but dad as well. For all this work trying to get ready and start racing for real, may have just come to an abrupt halt for good.

The police officer that was driving is talking on the police car radio. Dad is now walking across the street after parking at home. Should I wave hello, or look like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar and show remorse? How can I make this situation work out and not end up with a criminal record?

You boys live around here somewhere, I presume? Yes sir, that is my dad walking over right now. Do you know if is unlawful to drive unregistered vehicles on a public road. Me and Steve are obviously screwed right now. Doesnt matter what we say or do. They might as well slap the cuffs on right now and get it over with. Haul us down to the station and book us on who knows on how many charges.

Yes I have seen every episode of Highway Patrol and Dragnet. The first year of The Andy Griffith Show didnt come off so much as real life scary like the others. But right now it doesnt matter. We are busted. Cold busted. I wonder if I should keep my mouth shut and consult an attorney? Where is Perry Mason when you need him? I wonder if my GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card from Monopoly will work? Yea right!

While the Barney Fife guy is rattling on about all of the laws we have broken and possible charges that could be brought against us, I see dad is having a serious talk with the other police officer. He doesnt really look very happy either. I may not ever get the chance to see a kart track again. Well maybe when I am 21 years old and finally released from Juve.

Dad walks over and says there is nothing he can do right now. We both broke the law and it is out of his hands. Actions have consequences. Sometimes growing up can be a bumpy road to ride on. Oh come on dad, you can do a better analogy than that one. Its not like I am still 12 years old anymore. So anyway this doesnt sound good at all. The other officer nods his head to the Braney Fife cop. This is when things get strange.

Alright you delinquent kids! Put your hands on the police car and spread your legs. He gets his baton and starts popping it between my legs trying to get them spread. OK, this is getting serious. I look back over at dad. He just hunches his shoulders with his hands up. I am sorry son. You broke the law. Time to grow up.

Then Barney pats me down rather briskly. Reaches in my pocket and pulls out a small screwdriver. OK, this is a potential deadly weapon. A concealed weapon. Add another charge. He grabs my left hand and twists it around and behind my back. I am getting cuffed right now. Steve is staring at me with a look of total disbelief.

This Barney cop directs me to the back door of police car. Opens the door and says watch your head. At the same time, pushing my head into the drip rail on top of door opening. This would have really hurt, had it not been his hand was on that side of my head. My head made a solid thud sound, but no injury or pain inflected.

So here I am sitting in the back seat of a police car. Sure hope Barney doesnt find Steves pocket knife. I am watching Steve getting the same treatment that I was just put through. He is loaded in the other side of car in back seat next to me. The police officer says to keep our faces pointed forward and no talking to each other while in custody.

Both police officers are now discussing things with dad. He shakes his head in agreement about something and then stands there with hands on his waist. The police are now in the car and we are driving off. All I can do if look around behind me and see my dad for the last time as he fades away while we ride off in the police car.

With the lights flashing and siren blaring, we speed away. I am totally lost with what has conspired. Steve and I sort of look over at each other trying not to turn our heads. We are both cuffed with hands behind our backs. This is about the most uncomfortable I have ever felt sitting in a car. Nothing but a big lump in my throat right now. Am I too old to cry? I really wanted to, but too afraid on getting another charge thrown at me.

Back down Bar-X, where I can still see smoke floating, then the car turns up Kingswood. We are topping the hill and at the end of the street now. They make a right turn and go past the next intersection. Then we pull in to the 7-11 parking lot. The Barney police officer said it will be just a few minutes. This just happens to be their break time. They both go in while we are stuck in the back seat.

I look over at Steve. He has that same look on is face as I am feeling right now. We are really too scared to say anything. But I decide to ease the tension. Hey Steve, think we can make a break for it right now? The doors are unlocked. Steve looks back over at me and just goes off.

Are you freaking nuts!!!!! We have been arrested. We are going to jail right now. You wanna make a break for it? I am dead meat! My dad is going to disown me! Are you serious? You cant be that stupid! He just looks away in disgust. Sorry Steve, I was just trying to lighten the mood here. I am scared shitless too.

Yes, I said that right then. Because I was. There was really not a better word in the whole unabridged English dictionary that could describe how scared I was at that moment. Of crap, here they come. We better keep quite like they said.

Well, you guys are probably dehydrated from all the dangerous stunts both of yall just pulled. Which one of you likes Mountain Dew? Did I hear what I thought just now? I look up and the police officer has one in his hand. He opens the back door and has both of us lean forward. I am going to cuff you two together. This way will give a free hand for your drinks. Dont try anything stupid either. Anyone up for a Coke?

Now me and Steve are sharing one set of cuffs. His right hand is cuffed to my left hand. Sitting next to each other and now drinking some pop. Just what each of us happens to like. OK boys hold on. We have another stop to make. The driver then slams the car into gear and we speed down the long dirt road behind the 7-11.

This runs right in to the street that Steve lives on. He is really freaking out now. The tires on this police car are squalling as we fly by his house. He ducks down as we pass by. They make a right turn then another left. We are back on Bar-X and come to a stop at the corner. Right back in front of the two karts still sitting where we left them just a few minutes ago.

Dad is standing there with a big grin on his face. Steve and I are at a total loss. OK boys this party is over. Better get out before we change our minds. Sure hope we dont have to meet up like this again. The police help us exit the car. You boys take care now. They wave as the car drives off.

So you guys have anything to say right now? I am sorry dad. We knew better. But just couldnt resist. What just happened here? What was that all about? I thought we were really going to jail. If you prefer I can arrange that. Didnt you recognize those two? That was Ronnie Bardin and James Baker. You go to church with Ronnies brother. James is Joe Bakers older brother. I cant believe you fell for all that.

Dad, but arent they real cops? Well yes, they are. Would you rather be on your way down to the precinct right now? Maybe get booked for who knows how many laws you two broke earlier. Ok, dad then how come we didnt?

Son, you got lucky today. The police dont go around arresting kids for being kids. Besides the paper work involved to process you two would be a nightmare. Then you would just get released back to me. I doubt they really wanted to waste all that time on a couple of low rent wannabe criminals like you two guys.

So we are not in trouble then? No son, both you boys are in big trouble. Just not with the police this time. How about getting those karts back in the garage. I hope you two have learned something today. If not I could add some punishment above and beyond what I have in mind right now.

No thats alright. Whatever you had planned will be just fine dad. Right Steve? Oh yes sir, no need to put yourself out too much sir, whatever you had already decided is just fine by me too sir. Ok Steve that is a little bit over the top dont you think?

Me and Steve both find ourselves sort of lost with what has just conspired. Did dad really save our butts, or is it not regular practice for kids to be cited for breaking the law if not really criminal intent?

As we are standing there in the street, Steve just lets it out. Dang it! We left our drinks in the cop car. That sucks big time. Gee Steve, we could have really be arrested and down at the station right now. Is it really that terrible?

All this time Steve and I had been standing right next to each other. We were basically sharing each others shadow. In all this excitement, neither of us had realized we are still handcuffed to each other. Steve, those drinks are the least of our problems right now. I hold up my hand as his follows it. Oh yea, we gotta problem.

Again we are both standing there short on words. Not like this is anything I have experienced before. It could have been real. We could have been in big trouble. I cant imagine being a juvenile delinquent before even making it to the 8th grade.

Out in the distance I hear sirens. My heart skips a beat for a third time today. First was the Excitement from driving the karts, then The Frightment of the cop car. Now The Return of the cop car. Wow that makes two sequels.

The sirens are getting closer now. I just freeze there in middle of the street. Everything we have just been through comes crashing back down in my mind. Around the corner I see the sirens making all the noise. It is another police car speeding in our direction. On noes, not again.

The police car makes a screeching stop right in front of us. It is the same officers that had just released us and left. I thought we had a discussion earlier about running karts on public streets. Now we find you two boys out here again. Me and Steve just stand there without words, still cuffed together. If there was ever a brainless moment, it was now.

The skinny cop, does look like Stephen Bardin, so it has to be his older brother Ronnie, just starts laughing, then holds up the two drinks left in their car. You guys really should be more responsible. I lift up my hand with Steve attached to me by way of handcuff.

Officer Ronnie Bardin, who would really make a perfect younger version of Barney Fife, gets out of the car. Oh yea we might need these for the next bad guys. Sorry about that. How about a trade? So he removes the handcuffs and we swap out for the cold drinks. We take our drinks and say thanks as they drive off again. Wow too much drama in one day. What if this had been for real?

Attached Files
.jpg   intake manifolds.jpg (Size: 573.89 KB / Downloads: 113)
Chapter 60

After that pleasant up and close experience with our local law enforcement, Steve and I promptly push the karts back into the garage. We are not speaking a word at the moment. My mind is still racing with the events we just endured. My heart is now pounding more than ever. Adrenaline is for some reason late in spiking. I would be happier if it were crashing right now instead.

Dad then tells both of us the yard here really looks a mess. Its been more than two weeks since last being mowed. With so many mowers that seem to slip thru this garage all the time, then maybe one of them could be put to use. Get my drift, guys? No weeds growing in the fence line either. Are we good? I immediately answer back with a, Yes sir! That sounds like a great idea.

So how did the karts feel out there, boys? Huh? Me and Steve just look at each other. Wasnt that a test run to find out how they performed? Well yes sir, it was. They felt very impressive. Dad then asks if we thought there were any issues that might need to be addressed.

Steve and I more or less just shook our heads no. Sir, I was really amazed how well these ran. But is also the first time I have driven anything like this and nothing to really compare to.

So do you think you boys can refrain from any more unnecessary street racing for a while? We both gave the nod, yes sir. Your mom just happens to be at Safeway doing the grocery shopping this afternoon. Since there is no one else home, maybe we can just keep all of this under wraps. Sound like a good plan? Now how about that yard? Sure looks it needs some attention to me.

Steve and I took this as a big hint to get busy with some mandatory child labor. We did our darnedest best and stayed at it for the rest of the day. Steve called home to ask if alright to eat dinner over here. His parents had no argument. So we worked well after dark finishing the yard.

Well I do have to admit, it does look a lot nicer. Considering how many times all of us ride our bikes and everything else we do thru the grass, there are paths worn in. When the grass grows up, it looks much worse. So now, the yard really turned out decent. No chance of it ever making the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but not too shabby either.

I was surprised to see the evergreen hedge had made some remarkable progress in regrowing the areas that had seen some serious abuse. Just a few years ago with my brothers insistence, I would crash thru this hedge on my bike. The hedge is out at the corner of the house lot where Longhorn comes down and dead ends into Bar-X.

I would get on my bike and start pedaling just fast as I could muster down the hill. Then veer just off the street, thru the yard and crash right into the evergreen bush. It stands about 5 feet tall and 6 by 6 square. The bike would stop abruptly. I would get launched off the bike and thrown over the handle bars, into this bushy hedge head first.

It really wasnt dangerous as it sounded. Seemed I was unbreakable then. If done well, I would get ejected through the other side. The small evergreen branches and leaves or needles were so dense, they would absorb most of the impact and slow me down. I would come out the other side all red and scratched up. It did sting a lot sometimes when I didnt get enough height to clear the lower branches that were much larger tho.

On the last and final run I ever made, the front fork on my bike had finally broken off clean. It had been bent several times before and hammered back already. But no chance of it being repaired this time. It became spare parts. Like my bike, I didnt fare so well on that attempt. Cuts and bruises were the result of this less than stellar act of defiance. Fortunately I found that Schwinn Tiger a few streets over in the trash shortly after this bicycles demise.

So we have the yard just looking short of amazing. So much that the neighbors may even think the house had been sold and someone else moved in. Well maybe not that good, but much better than most anytime I can remember.
Chapter 61

After spending part of this afternoon checking over the two karts from our previous days exploitation, Steve left for home. It was still fairly early. I got on my bike and headed over to Franks house. It was late enough that he should be home already. I was hoping to take some measurements on his kart. Just a quick check of the front and rear track width. More of just comparing it to the Cates and the new copy.

There was also some other things I wanted to run by Frank. Since he is an engineer of some type, maybe could answer some questions about balancing the Clinton a little better. You know he has that store bought college degree and everything.

Frank was standing out in the garage just watching an occasional passerby. His hands were on his waist and he didnt seem much in the way to being sociable. He was standing there with a slight scowl on his face. A real natural look for him.

Hey Frank, how is it going? At first he just stared me down. As I pulled up closer, he quietly said, Oh, its just you kid. So what do you want?

Just wanting to check something on your kart if you dont mind.

Yea sure, so long as you dont touch it.

OK Frank, That I can do. Or in this case, not do. Thanks. I still dont understand this guy. Is he really being serious or an attempt of just trying to be funny? Which obviously he isnt.

I pull my little pocket tape out and do a quick check. Thats all I needed. Thanks Frank. He response was just "Eh". I hopped back on my bike and was about to ride off. He then yells at me. Are you serious? You rode over here just to measure the wheels?

Yea Frank, I got the other kart finally finished. Both of them are slightly different in track width, since not the same type of wheels. I was just curious of what a Dart kart measured for comparison.

What other kart? I thought you had some home made Kratchets or something.

No, it is a Cates kart. I copied it. The other one turned out almost identical. So my buddy Steve and I can both start racing pretty soon.

I am supposed to believe you actually built a kart from scratch?

Well, yea Frank. Is that really so strange?

All my life I aint never seen no punks do anything but tear up chit or steal what aint chained down.

Sorry to disappoint you Frank, if I dont live up to your expectations of them neighborhood kids you admire so well.

Maybe you are just out casing my house and didnt expect to got caught by me. Then using some lame last minute made up excuse to try and cover your azz.

Sure Frank, that sounds much more likely. You caught me. I am guilty as charged. If you had just been turned around for a minute, maybe I could have pushed the kart out of your garage and you never would have known I was here. I am really slipping. Gotta go practice a lot more to be able to put one over on you.

You are one hella of a smart azz, kid. Dont know whether to kick your azz out to the street or offer you a beer. So Larry, then why did you really drop by?

My name is Terry, not Larry. Are you always this cordial with people? Or am I just a special case?
You didnt answer my question. Why did you really come by?

I wanted to measure your kart. I did that already. You dont seem very sociable right now. So maybe next time. See you round.

Just hold on there kid. If you want something let me know. I am just pushing your buttons. You sure can dish it out, but get a little defensive when someone throws chit back at you. Must have that only child syndrome thing going on. You know attention deprived. Let me guess you always get everything you want or throw a big temper tantrum when things dont go your way.

Wow Frank, you didnt tell me you were college educated in psychology too? Do you have a degree in that also? Would that make you a psychological engineer? Or maybe you are really a mind reader? Could be you have some Gypsy blood running thru them veins of yours too? You already got me totally figured out.

Alright Larry, uh Jerry......turn off the sarcasm. I am done. What can I help you with? Just making sure I aint wasting my time with you. Its not worth the effort for total losers. So far you passed....for now. Better not find out any different either.

Gee Frank, from you I take that as a comment.

Ok kid, thats enough smartazz for you. Maybe I did go a little overboard. But I wont waste a single minute of my valuable time on someone that can look me in the eyes, straight out lie, and stab me in the back.

Frank, my arms are not long enough to do both at the same time. Which one would you prefer first?

Kid, you are one smart azz. Maybe I can put up with you for a little while. So tell me about the new kart project. I am being serious this time. So cut the bullchit or I will just shut the garage door. Right as he said that he pushed a button on the wall and the garage door started coming down.

I stood there outside of his garage and watched the door close down and stopped all by itself. Then a moment later, it raised right back up. Frank had a large grin on his face. Pretty cool aint it? I just got this installed last week. I still get a big kick playing with it. Sorry kid. I was trying to bust your chops so I could have an excuse to try out the electric door. Wadda you think?

I was getting close to telling this guy where he could stick his electric garage door thing, but realized he really was just messing around with me. If I actually knew this guy, then maybe this is the norm with him. I sure dont know right now. So I will take it slowly with him. He may be a complete waste of time. But he could be worth putting up with. I have never encountered any real yankee before Frankie. Only heard rumors.

OK Frank, if you call a truce, I will try to be on my best behavior. But that may be difficult around you at first. So bear with me. It may take me a moment to get out of auto defense mode. My Cates kart is a real racing kart. This is the first kart using a fiberglass bucket seat that I am aware of right now. It is made by Lynn Cates in Ft Worth. You do know where that is right?

You almost disappointed me there kid. But came through at the end. Ok I will back off and we can bench race for a while. After you mentioned the kart last time, I did find out about it some more. Seems to be a fairly well made chassis. I made a call to my brother. He is my only brother and my favorite. Hey, I didnt tell you his name is also Terry. Maybe that is the reason I am enjoying messing with you so much.

So my brother talked to Mickey Rupp about your kart. Mic said that Cates in his opinion is more of an experimental chassis design. It has not been proven like the Dart. It might only work well at the local track. Thats all the input Mic had about it. There were none up in Ohio that he had seen anyway. A very heavy dose of Rupps. But that would only make sense. So tell me about the local tracks. I havent ventured out too far yet.

I relaxed a little bit more now. Frank might actually be human. I was starting to wonder. Then told Frank about the three tracks I knew were close by. The closest is Fabens. It is not 10 minutes east of here right off the highway. I had talked to my science teacher. He told me about the Whizzer track. It is a lot farther away somewhere almost to Lewisville. Probably a 45 minute drive to get there.

Another track I have heard of, but know nothing about is 77 South. It is down in the Oak Cliff side of town. I have never been that way. So cant tell him anything else. There is also some racing in Ft Worth and Denton. But only from listening to others talking at the track a few months ago.

Frank, since you have some kind of engineers degree, do you make use of it?

Why, yes, I do. That is how I make a living. Is there something you want me to explain about? Are you having trouble with the new frame? Do all four wheels sit flat on the ground?

Hum, Frank. That does sound like it could present a problem. But all of the tires are sitting on the ground and the wheels are round not flat. Its not a big deal, just something I was wondering about. It is actually about my Clinton bushing engine. Or is that not worth your store bought education to bother with?

No kid, the more I thought about it, a bushing engine is not that lame. Just cant be a high revving precisionly jeweled racing machine like the better designed ones out there. But you did say that is what you have to run, right?

Yes, the bushing part is not a big problem yet. My concerns are more towards the lack of ba1ance when the engine is reaching over 6000 rpm. From what I understand and comparing the flyweights on crankshafts to faster engines, there might be a problem. Do you know anything about figuring out the relation in reciprocating and rotating weight or mass, whatever its called, of crank, rod and piston?

Frank sat there for at least another minute before opening his mouth. He gets up goes to the fridge in his garage and grabs a cold beer. How about a beer?  

No thanks.

Ok, that isnt exactly where I thought your were going with this. Maybe I can do some research and come up with something. It shouldnt be too difficult. Nothing but mathematical calculations to figure it out.  You sure about that beer? That is really what makes bench racing so much fun.

Naw, I will pass. Everyone tells me that is an acquired taste. And it dont taste good to me. Maybe in about another 8 years, I will take you up on it. My taste buds cringe at the thought right now. But I might just grab a sip of water from your garden hose outside.

Yea, I wasnt a big beer drinker at your age either. But my dad always had me grabbing one for him. He really liked his beer. Eventually I picked up the habit too. Now the fridge is always full. Just help yourself if the urge hits. It does has some benefits. There are some carbonated sodas in the fridge too. If that is more to your liking. Way too sweet for my taste buds.

So why all the urgency about balancing this Clinton of yours? Something special about that particular one? The bushing engine, is yours that AR-2000 or Colt-45?

This one I have torn apart right now is an A-490. The E-65 has needle bearings instead of bushing.

Oh yea, I knew it was one of those. Never mess with them myself. Seen a few blow up. That was enough to steer me away real quick.

My choices are limited running in the junior class.  Only so much to work with. Besides that happens to be what I have several of right now. So make the best of it and see what these motors can do. There are plenty of bolt on aftermarket parts. I do have a Palmini intake with a 6 petal reed with a Tillotson carb.

Also one of the engines has a Bug Engineering rod. Unfortunately that thing has a lot of miles on it. I already swapped out crank and rod with an E-65. Eliminate any weak parts while I get some drive time. Then work on kart setup to handle best I know how or figure out.

What? You cant just hop down in any kart and drive fast as it will go? I can get any kart around a track. And fast mind you, if there is enough ponies bolted on. Thats what makes a real driver. Maybe I can show you how its done one of these days. It does take more than just skill. You need natural ability. You either got it or you dont. Some of us are just born lucky. What about you?

Wow! That would be awesome if you could show me some tips on driving. I am sure you will turn circles around me. Maybe I can get enough practice and hopefully, eventually be competitive. I am working on getting to the track soon. Much sooner that I would have guessed just a week ago.

Both karts are more or less finished and running well. Uh, well as I can do until some real track time. After some digging into the bottom of my piggy bank, I managed to pick up a few extra gear sets, a spare chain and the usual oils, lube and stuff like that.

I am seriously thinking about finding a stop watch. So when we go to test out the karts, can use it for comparison of different adjustments made. At first it wont really be of much use. Right now it would be more of a luxury , but after some track time, I think it will be a big asset.

Me and Steve have spent most of the summer so far working on the karts. Now we are close to making our first practice day a reality. I dont even have a helmet yet. That is one more thing I am keeping my eyes open for. Neither of us have helmets. Guess we will be waiting until then.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4755]
McHals

So what size is that overstuffed head of yours? I have my first helmet and a newer one. When I bought this special built Dart chassis from Mic, I made sure the shop included that new McHals helmet I now have. I drove a hard bargain, and he caved in. How much money you got to spend? I cant just give `em away you know.

Doesnt matter how much I got to spend, Frank. It matters how much you are willing to let them go for. But I would like to see what you have, if you dont mind. I might not be able to afford to buy one just yet, but at least I can find out if yours might fit.

Well this one here isnt much to brag about. Got me thru my first season. Needs a decent paint job, but otherwise...well it is a helmet. Now this other one here, it is like nearly new. I used it the last season I was still racing up in Ohio. Here see what you think.

Man, this older one sure is ugly. You actually wore this one is public? What color would you call that? Didnt the government outlaw this color a few years ago? Sorry, just messing with you Frank. That newer one is nice looking. You sure cant go wrong with choosing a white helmet. It is nice. Crap, unfortunatley is a little bit too small for my head. Oh well, thanks for showing them to me.

Here, try the older one on. It is a lot bigger. Too big for my head. It shook around all the time. That is why I quickly retired it and bought the other helmet.

Wow, that actually fits good. It stays tight around my head when I shake back and forth. Ok Frank, how much. There isnt much helmet here. But you already know that.

Well, it might be ugly, but it is still a solid helmet. If you cant afford a new one, well you know. So how much you got kid? Just throw out something. Never know I might bite.

Well Frank, I already know you bark so biting would not come as a big surprise.

Funny one, WOOF,WOOF, WOOF. How is that?

Frank you are strange. Let me ask you something tho, how much money would you spend on this ugly helmet. Lets just say, you are in my situation right now. How much would you spend to get that first helmet?

Kid, if you are trying to throw a curve ball right now, it aint gonna work. I got eagle eye vision. I can see what you are doing.

But if I were in your shoes, looking for something to get me on the track, then I would easily be willing to spend say, no less than two bucks. It would be worth at least that. Or you could spend the rest of your life watching from the grandstands.

You make a valid point there Frank. So my buddy Steve is also needing a helmet. I know he needs a slightly smaller helmet than what fits my noggin. He watches his nickels closer than even I do. But we both gotta bite the bullet if ever going to get on the track. How much?

For the white helmet, it aint leaving here for anything less than a crisp 10 dollar bill. Take it or leave it. Well like I said Frank, just wanted to take a look. Maybe I can mow some yards or collect more bottles for the rest of my life. That could get me there eventually.

So how much do you got to spend right now? Maybe I can bend just a little bit. I am not that greedy, but this aint the local second hand store either.

Wow, I have not even thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. The second hand store probably has helmets and I can afford to shop there.

Just hold on for a minute. You might get lucky and possibly find a helmet for sale there. But these will fit your needs and maybe I can bend a little bit more on the price. Just make me an offer. The worst I can say is no.

Frank I dont want to insult your intelligence with some lame offer. But since you did ask....all I could afford right now....well I probably could come up with 6 dollars total for both. I know Steve doesnt have any extra money to spend. We both dumped everything in getting the karts put together.

That is the best I can do. Maybe in a few weeks. You never know, I might get some work that pays enough. For the rest of this summer tho money is going to be real tight. I mean really tight for me. If I cant afford it right now, then my racing will be on the back burner until finances are in better shape. Anyway thanks for showing me the helmets. I didnt mean to waste any of your time. That was inconsiderate of me. Well, I better be heading back home.

Hold on there, we might be able to work something out here. These old helmets really wont do me any good. I have my new one. Its the latest style and I dont see any reason to keep these others longer than necessary. They are just taking up space and collecting dust. So how long would it take you to get the six bucks together. I mean do you need maybe a week or so? Will that be good?

Frank, are you saying you will sell me the two helmets for six dollars? Am I understanding this right?

Yea kid, I might could do that. They are not doing me any good just sitting on the shelf. How about if I hold on to the helmets until you can pay for them. Is that good enough for you?

Sure Frank that is great. Tell you what! I will go ahead and pay for them right now. That way you wont loose any sleep worrying if some of those punk kids you keep bragging on might sneak in and steal them right off the shelf in your garage here. Hey, I have the money in my pocket. Thanks a bunch. You are now paid in full.

Actually the white helmet is going to be a present for my buddy Steve. His birthday is tomorrow. Without him I would not be anywhere close to racing yet. But without a helmet, he wont be able to race either. We cant share a helmet and be on the track at the same time. So you are really helping me out of a pinch. Thanks a bunch Frank. You arent half bad as everyone keeps telling me.

Everyone said what? Who told you, huh? Why do I feel like I just got had? I didnt fall for you lame sobby stories, but yet you got the deal I think you had already worked out in advance. Even before you saw the helmets. I am going to keep my eyes on you. There is a lot more going on here than I first gave you credit for.

Gee Frank, this time I will take that as a compliment. Thanks.

Attached Files
.jpg   McHals.jpg (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 77)
Chapter 62

This probably looks sort of corny to someone seeing me right now. I am riding my bike wearing that old helmet heading back home. The other one is securely strapped down to the handle bars. This white one is really nice. Sure would not want it all sweated up inside.  Steve will really be surprised tomorrow. He will know the helmet is obviously not new, but sure wont take much to make it look just like new.

I cant believe Frank actually sold the helmets to me. I was about ready to give up. His original offer was more than fair. But way more than what I had in my pocket. I was having some real fun haggling with him tho.  He is turning into a lot more hot air than really being a jerk.

It would be a pain to ride back home and grab some more stash then come right back again. I dont have much extra money right now. Especially to just throw away. But still well worth it for me and Steve. Now we can both get to the track real soon. Maybe even soon as a practice day coming up next week.

Steve has been like my right arm. I know he is always saying how much help I have been for him. But too many things positive have worked out for both of us. Without us being together each time, nothing like this would have ever taken place. I doubt either of us would be this close to actually start racing. No way at all.

I think it should be late enough that there is no chance Steve would be back in the garage working tonight. They normally eat dinner around this time. Sure dont want him to see me showing up with the two helmets.  He can figure out what is up.  It will be very obvious to him. But I want it to be a real surprise.

Back in the garage, I find some Spic-N-Span spray cleaner. It smells good enough for the clean treatment. This should make the inside of Steves new/old helmet more presentable as a real gift. With a good wax job, that should do it. It will be just like brand new. Now I need to find a box for it to fit in. Then a quick wrap with the comics section from the Sunday paper and I am good. Got it covered. Steve is set now. I dont think there is anything else either of us needs just to get on the track.

Box is now well hidden. Now if Steve sees this old helmet, it wont give anything away. He knows I find things like this all the time. We both have been keeping our eyes open for quite a while now. Eventually something always shows up.

Now what can be done to this old helmet? It is really ugly. Maybe just leave it like this. I personally dont care what it looks like. If it can get on the track, then the looks isnt important at all. I will give it some thought. Maybe put some effort into it. If I can survive wearing that polka dotted helmet, this one will be a cake walk.

A trick paint job, or just a plain color? Hmm, dunno right now. Track time is more important than appearance anyway. Best I should leave it alone. That is the smart plan. Well I will at least have to do something with that strap. The padded chin piece is missing. It sure wont be very comfortable the way it is. Some creativity is needed to come up with a way to make it better.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4758]
Buco helmet

After some seriously in-depth research I find out this ugly helmet that will find its new home on my head, is a Buco. What a name for a helmet. I have a Buco. Hey you, Buco! This wont go well if someone finds out what brand ths is. Oh well, it is a helmet. I needed one and now I have one. Unfortunately it is one Buco ugly helmet right now.

The next day Steve only had a small private birthday with a family night out at the Bonanza Steak House. Its what they usually do. I have not talked to him at all today. He said he would call if there was some free time. Oh well, not a big deal. His mom usually takes total control with these things. It is her way and that is the way it be.

It is now late and I am piddling out in the garage by myself doing nothing in particular. Steve just walks up and nearly scares the crap out of me. What the heck? Hey man, whats up? Dude, you just about scared me to death. What gives? Cool I got you! That dont happen too often. So do I look older? Nope just as ugly as I remember you from yesterday. Well maybe a little fatter around the middle.

Oh that is from the huge Sirloin steak I had for dinner. I had a choice of several different cuts, but that Sirloin was the biggest. Wasnt all that bad either. So what did you do all day? Nothing looks much different from when I left yesterday afternoon.

No nothing at all. So did you enjoy your party. Eh, you know, they are all the same. Food fights, police are called, get thrown out of the restaurant. Dad belts the waiter. You know same ol same o. Do what? Your dad did what? No man just kidding. It was boring as ever. Great to eat out and everything, but you know. More to make the parents feel good than anything.

I got some new clothes for school and some small hand tools. But nothing all that awesome. Dad said as I get older, being a kid is becomes less important. So get used to it. That way you are not disappointed more every year. Yea your dad does have a way with words. Guess I understand what he is saying.

I did get one thing I was really hoping to for my birthday last February. But it didnt really seem as intense that I remembered from the previous year and even the year before that. Really at 12 years old the big thrill seem to be all fizzled out.

So anything new with the karts? Do you think we might get some track time this summer? Steve I hope we get on the track this summer. We put out way too much time and money not to make it to the track. One way or another, it is going to happen. I want to talk about it to dad one of these evenings. Maybe hint about a practice day would be really cool.

Dad has been busier this summer than usual. Some of the others took their vacations and left him short of help. So he is hitting it a few extra nights every week right now. Doesnt look real good at the moment. I just want to be ready if we get the chance.

Oh I almost forgot. That box over there has your name on it. Man, I hope you didnt get me a birthday present. You already built the kart for me. I couldnt even put a price on that. No, Steve we built that kart. Without your help, it would not be sitting here ready to go.

Man I am not going to argue with you. But we wasted a whole week and got nothing done. I was really burned out. Didnt think another kart was meant to be right now. Then two days later, I had not even heard from you for some reason. I called and found out you fried your eyes from welding out in the garage. Your dad said to come on over if I wanted to. But you were going to be out of circulation for a few days.

I couldnt believe it, I walked in the garage. Your dad was sort of cleaning up. I saw the kart frame sitting there almost finished. Man there was not a frame or even parts to build one when I left a couple days earlier. So dont give me that we crap. You built this frame. I have my first kart that you built. Do you know how cool that is?

So you better not think I am expecting a present from you at all. But since there is a present there, I assume it is from you. So what is it? What did you get me? Gee Steve, you had me going with all that sincerity crap just then. You almost had me. Nope, dont expect much. Just something I found.

Steve just goes right after it and tears into the wrapped up box. Dang Steve, do you realize how much time I put into wrapping it up? Who the heck cares, its a present. Deal with it. That is the Steve I remember that was here yesterday. Welcome back. Oh by the way Happy Birthday.

No way! How did you know? I was hoping for a helmet from my parents. But was bummed out when it didnt happen. Did you and my parents conspire together? Heck no Steve, I lucked into this just last night. Sure am glad your parents didn get one. I would have been the one bummed all out.

How did you afford this? These are not cheap on our salaries. I mean allowances. Which by the way ended fore me as of today. I am now considered an adult, so no more charity handouts. Chores are still mandatory, but no more paychecks. Kinda sucks growing up in a way. Oh heck I got a dang helmet. Man thanks a bunch. I still dont know how you could afford this.

Steve it is a used helmet. Duh I figured that out already. The helmet looks brand new tho. That box was a dead give away. Also there is no safety brochure or tag hanging on the strap. But still way cooler than my other stuff I got today. Dont you dare repeat that either.

Ok this is messed up Terry. I got the newish helmet, what are you going to do? We cant very well share it. I know Steve, but sure something will turn up. And it did. I pullout my helmet from under a shop towel sitting over next to the typewriter. Aint it cool looking. It is a genuine Buco.

A what? What did you say? Its a Buco. Dont you know anything about helmets Steve? To be honest, I would have given that helmet away as a cheap gift and kept this white one for myself. Hey Steve, go ahead and try yours on. Oh yea, that would be a good idea. Wow, this helmet fits perfect. Really snug, but not pressing on the brain pan too much. Just about perfect. How did you manage that?

Now try the Buco. See the difference? Woh, this is a lot looser. So you fit this one better then. Yep it fits me nearly perfect. It just happened to work out in your favor. And of course my infinite generosity. OK, I didnt bring my wading boots. Starting to get deep in here. Full of you know what too.

Well Terry, I wont argue with you. But still you screwed yourself good on this deal. If you can live with it, then so can I. Thanks a bunch. Man it is awesome. Do you think that helmet can be made to look any better? Dont see how you could make it any worse tho.

Steve, I spent all last night thinking about it. Then realized I have a helmet. So that means I am one step closer to getting on the track. Do I need to go into any more detail? Besides If I am out there on the track and royally suck, then it wont matter at all. Nobody will really notice some moron in an old beat up kart. It doesnt look fast so it isnt. Oh yea wearing a butt ugly helmet.

If you go out there and suck, everyone will notice with that really nice looking helmet you have now. And your kart is starting to look sharp too. All that cleaning and have it down to shiny bare metal too. It will look fast and everyone will expect it to run fast. No pressure there at all Steve. Non at all. Dont even think about it.

Yea man no pressure. Thanks a lot, jerk. I probably wont make one lap without spinning off a turn somewhere. Yea, not a bit of pressure. Some friend you are! But the helmet is still a really a bad cool present. Thanks man.

Attached Files
.bmp   Buco2.bmp (Size: 2.9 MB / Downloads: 69)
Chapter 63

Frank had mentioned checking out the second hand store for helmets. I used that as leverage when trying to make a deal with him. It did get me thinking about something else I could really use when we finally get some track time. So I made a trip on my bike to the little second hand store in a shopping center on the other side of the neighborhood.

It is actually a fairly long ride. Something I wouldnt normally make the distance by myself. But it is early and I was bored. Or more focused on pursuing for curiosity sake. I was hoping to maybe, possibly, or just wishing there might be a stop watch there for sale.

I really didnt know what all they did sell. Guess it would be about anything they get their hands on. I hyped myself up and now not even sure if there is a chance they have one. For the distance I rode on my bike, it sure would be awesome if they did have something useful as a stopwatch.

I hesitate before pulling the door open and entering. This might have been a total waste of time. I am here, so just go in and find out. The store is sort of divided into several sections. Clothing, outdoor, kitchen, more clothes, baby stuff, and jewelry. OK that might be where I need to check out.

There is one very tired looking display cabinet. As I walk down the isle, it is mostly that junky looking fake g0ld stuff. Some of it is so gaudy, I dont see how any girl could or would want to wear it. Towards the end is a whole shelf of watches. I look thru them and one spot has several pocket watches. Some look really antique. Some just look cheap. Others look more post mortium.

There are some watches that look more like...YES there are a few stop watches here. Cool. In a small group off to one side is several different stop watches sitting side by side. I see one is an old Soviet military type. There is a nice looking Heuer, but much more expensive than the military one. An old Jules Racine that is hard to read clearly. Another Heuer that has two hands and a minute counter.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4765]
Jules Racine

The Jules Racine didnt have a price on it. But also showed a lot more wear than the others. Also too much going on looking at first glance.  The lens is scratched more than I would care for, making it too difficult to get a good accurate reading.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4762]
Soviet stopwatch

This older military stop watch is only $2. It is tempting to buy this one for the price. But it is Russian. Might not be such a good idea. Maybe I will pass on this one. Either of the Heuer watches is $10 and $12. That other one doesnt really interest me. The Heuer watches each have a 30 second dial. They are good for 1/10th of a second. I know my driving skills wont need that close of a distinction per lap anytime soon. But If I spring for a watch that is well made and accurate now, it should be a one time purchase.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4764]
Heuer stopwatch

I close my eyes and run circles around the counter top where the two final contestants sit below with a finger. When finger stopped, I opened my eyes. It is on the $10 Heuer watch. Ok I will buy this one. It has two hands like a regular clock.

At first glance it might be hard to tell the time. After looking at it for a few moments, I could see how easy it was to read after all. Not really much different than reading a kitchen clock on the wall. The other Heuer looks brand new. Only a single hand but just as accurate to 1/10 of a second. Studying it just now looks to be more difficult to read from a quick glance.

I didnt know if they were negotiable on items here. The watch is clean and well worth the price, so I am just going to buy it now for the $10. The sales lady has been very patient with me and nice. So I am good with the purchase.

My new to me stop watch comes in the original box with instructions and care information. Great, hopefully it covers how to correctly read this thing. Wonder if it is possible to do split times? I dont know if I would be able to do it accurately enough to rely on if it does. Oh well, one lap one time. Good enough for me for now.

It seemed to take about twice as long to get back home. I didnt even remember passing down some of the side streets on my way there. Guess just too focused on the stop watch and how it could be so useful when starting out with making adjustments on the kart and engine.

This stopwatch is not really going to be very useful yet, when we start driving. Not until me and Steve have logged enough laps on any given track. Consistency first, then maybe start making adjustments to improve lap times. I do need to focus on making chassis adjustments at first just to get the kart driving as close to right as I know how to. Then start making changes and see how they affect the lap times.

Attached Files
.jpg   Stop watch Jules racine.jpg (Size: 52.65 KB / Downloads: 52)
.jpg   Stop watch Heuer 1.jpg (Size: 76.22 KB / Downloads: 52)
.jpg   Stop watch Russian.jpg (Size: 93.25 KB / Downloads: 52)