Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
(12-05-2019, 03:49 PM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: tater diggers and Horstman clutches where the end of Karting for me in 73-74,,,,,

couldn't figure out how to make a Horstman work   and wanted no part of 4 strokes...and still don't...ba humbug

gw

Would that Horstman be the Slipster, Slip-a-matic or Slip-adjust model?
Chapter 12

After unloading the kart, I sat down in that odd looking square tubing contraption with a plastic seat that looks like belongs on skinny legs in a waiting room somewhere else. Maybe should have kept my mouth shut eariler. Making stupid remarks about something I really know very little about. Well really nothing.

Oh wait, this seat is actually made from fiberglass, not plastic like I first thought. Just like so many of the smaller boats I have been seeing a lot more of lately on the lake.

Wow, this is comfortable. Its like I am sitting down in a cockpit. Really didnt expect it to feel so much different. This seat is actually neat. I had no idea. All this time thinking karts should have welded in seat frames with plush upholstery. Hmmm. Maybe should be keeping notes.

So Mr Cates, or Lynn, as he told me to address him, then went over the functioning of his kart. But think I am going to keep with Mr Cates. He definitely seems to know about karts. I hope to really learn from him too. First he goes over the basics, more obviously the pedals. Right fast, left stop. Next he explained the steering. This kart has a much larger steering wheel than most of the others you see here tonight.

By this time Steve had come around and seeing what was taking place. While standing behind Mr Cates, he was making faces and sticking thumbs in his ears, rotating them with open hands. Trying to get me started laughing while I was seriously focused on Mr Cates instruction.

Even tho a butterfly style, it is about three inches larger in diameter, if compared to a full circle type. That means the steering is easier to maneuver. So be careful when trying to run deep into the turns. If you steer to fast, the kart may just swap ends with you and go sailing off the end of the track somewhere with the local wildlife. After you get the feel of it, may just figure out how easy it is to correct when over steering too.

Another thing you need to be careful with. This kart has a Bendix drum brake. For the smaller engines it isnt too noticeable. But a lot of the others out here now are equipped with hydraulically assisted disk brakes. They stop extremely quick. If not accustomed to them, might leave you with a big surprise. Again, off in the weeds somewhere outside of that turn you didnt negotiate so well.

One last thing I need to cover before you make you first debut tonite. This may be after a couple of laps when you feel more comfortable and getting up to speed. If the motor doesnt clear out when running down the straightaway, you need to do something. Here is the carburetor. You see this screw sticking out? Yes sir, isnt that the high speed needle? Yes one and the same. I have a small tab brazed on it to make adjusting a little bit easier when out there on the track.

First thing, I want you to look forward like when driving out on the track. With your right hand, reach over and feel around for the carb. Then get your thumb and pointer finger on that needle, while holding carb with the others. See if you can do that, ok? So I tried it until comfortable. Well as comfortable I could be without actually doing this on the track.

Then Mr Cates said to watch for him, when driving by the pits here. In case he were to come out and motion with a hand signal. If you see me waving my arm and pointing to the ground, then reach over and just barely turn this screw clockwise. Just a hair. You will notice a major difference immediately. That is all you need to do. In case the motor is four cycling, this will lean it down just enough to clear out and run like supposed to. Do you understand?

Any questions? Uh, is ok if I chicken out and maybe take you up on it later? Said with a cheesy smile. Steve just whopped the top of the helmet I was wearing. He then answered for Mr Cates, Nope, you are stuck in the kart until those first laps of your career are in past tense. So the motor got cranked up as I sat there with my hands starting to feel really sweaty. Now get your butt out on the track! Steve yelled while kicking the rear tire trying to make the kart move forward.
Chapter 13

I pushed on the gas and my head jerked back a little. Wow, didnt know these bushing motors had much power like this feels. So easing out on the track, I was careful and didnt want to find my self walking back to the pits. Took me a little practice just to modulate this gas pedal so my head wouldnt buck back and forth.

Speaking of helmets, Mr Cates did find me a loaner. It is a half helmet like was more common a few years ago. I see a lot of Harley riders using them in the movies. Just one thing messed up with this particular helmet. It is red. Really bright red. You cant miss it. Even when not in use. It is shouting Red.
The black patent leather sides cover ears and straps to secure under my chin. I noticed a small hole in the back. A little bit of sawdust was finding its way out. May just be what I feel tickling my back right now.

What really stands out about this helmet is the big black dots all over the screaming red. I know what a lady bug feels like when being stared at. Uhhh. Embarrassing.

I feel like a moving chicane with flashing stop sign on top of my head. Not much different than a big sign on back of kart that says "WATCH OUT Newbie driving"! I am sure someone is getting a good laugh with me wearing this helmet. Right now I could not care any less. I am driving a kart on the track for the first time and loving it.

Several laps pass and I am slowly warming up to how the kart handles. With what little I really know this kart does go where its pointed. Didnt take too long to get used to the brakes either. Just me being too nervous and afraid of screwing up.

Steve screws up all the time and doesnt let it get to him. But he doesnt have to deal with older brothers that ridicule him for anything and everything he does. Oh well, I need to face my fears. If I screw up then deal with it later. Right now I am going to get this figured out and maybe start racing soon. Well maybe, anyway the night is still young. At least I dont have to worry about a glass slipper.

I am still having trouble figuring out exactly how to get thru the turns. Dont know for sure if going in too low or tight before steering and coming out. Probably using too much brake, just am not sure.

I first tried something that didnt seem to work out so well. If you put a string around the track and pull tight, well thats the shortest way around, right? But trying to drive that way doesnt seem to work so well. Kart keeps wanting to push hard on the exit, and loosing way too much speed.

How were the fast drivers getting around? Some were going really high, then dive down late, and speed out while kart is drifting up to the outside. But that seems an easy way to get passed by another driver. Leaving yourself open too much. Hmm.

The next lap as I pass the track entrance, Steve is waving and pointing to the guy waiting on his kart. I recognize the other drivers kart. He is David Watkins. One of the locals here in Garland that has made a name for himself on the track. He speeds past me just as easy as one can with real driving experience. He taps on the back of his helmet then points forward. Oh I get it! He wants me to follow him around. Cool.

So for the next few laps, I try to follow his kart being careful not to get too close. Now I am getting thru the turns a lot better. Following him I see the line he uses to get around. He is really coming out so much faster than I am. He brakes only for a second, then while steering, back on the gas quickly and barrels out of the turns. So that seems to work well for him.

Mr Cates is waving his arm and pointing to the ground as he said. I respond with a quick wave. Ok that wasnt smart. Get both hands back on the steering wheel, dummy. A slight quirk when I did that. Ok, I can do this. Going around and pulling out on the back straight, then carefully reach over, but my hand is bouncing all over. I finally grab the carb, but motor just lays over and nearly dies.

My fingers are getting sucked in. Oops!, that isnt good. Let go and engine cleans out a little. Try again. Keep fingers away from front of carb. Hand is out searching. I work around from outside, over top and get a good hold on carburetor. Then walk my fingers to that high speed needle. There it is. Hah, not a big deal. I got this.

Now for the next part of this little maneuver. I put thumb and pointer around the extended needle, just like had been instructed and practiced. Then slightly turn in clockwise. Motor sounds much worse. No, the other way clockwise, duh. Then it immediately clears out and jumps forward like getting kicked in the butt.

Wow this is great. I barely have time to grab the wheel and enjoy a noticeable boost in acceleration. Uh oh, thats the end of the straight away there. Got my grip good back on that unique butterfly steering wheel. I get to negotiate the turn at end of the long straight at a much faster pace this time around.

This kart is getting much more predictable. Now I have someone showing me how to drive the turns, and is so much faster at the end of the straights. It sounds like the motor is actually reving up a lot higher. So this must be about the top speed. I can get used to this. It feels awesome.

I am impressed with a bushing motor. Didnt have a clue they felt so fast. Or maybe its just I havent ever driven anything like a real kart before.
Chapter 14

After many laps following David, I am getting much better and feeling really good about this. Following him now, I can start to predict his line and when he will brake, then adjust driving working to my advantage. Now I can pull up next to him sometimes. He still pulls away. Really fast compared to me. But this is awesome. I am actually racing. Well sort of.

As we were making laps, Steve had grabbed a green flag and headed out to the start finish line. He is waving at us to line up and holds his hand up with one finger out. Wow, I get a chance for a quick one on one race with David. This is so cool.

We slow down coming out of the last turn before the start/finish line. Steve is in middle of the track with a green flag rolled up holding it between his hands. As we approach he is patting down the rolled flag trying to keep us at a slow but even pace.

We are just a few kart lengths away from Steve, and I assume he is going to drop the flag but didint know when. Just then his arm goes up and out waving the big green. The race is on. David had anticipated the start perfectly and then jumped ahead. Lesson learned here.

I was just a split second behind him hitting the gas, but was quick to tuck in and closely follow thru the first turn. Now I am more at ease running so close to his bumper. Since we are closely matched in weight and power, I can run hard as I am comfortable without fear of running into him from over driving. I know where he should break for the turns, so keeping that in mind.

What is odd, I see, he is running much deeper into the turns now. Pushing a lot harder than when we was showing me the line. Another thing I realize, is now he is sliding out a little farther and scrubbing some speed off. Minor little mistakes are allowing me to keep up at his pace.

But seeing him braking later in one of the tight turns, allows me to setup for him going wide and pull underneath his kart. But doing this I loose the line needed to drive thru the next turn fast. Wow this is going to take some work figuring out everything just to compete in traffic.

I am starting to realize there are many factors to consider when driving. They will be different on every turn and depending if you are leading or following a competitor. Hmm, that means if you are time trialing, then it may be a completely different line to drive for that one fast lap. If you are being pursued really close, then a more defensive line may be used instead. Even tho it can be much slower than a time trial lap.

For the next few laps, I am holding my own. A few times David goes wide and I am able to pull up next to him. I still dont know if he is just playing with me or actually giving it all he has. Each time I am running next to him, he is able to over take me going in to the next turn. There sure is a lot to wrap your brain cells around just to make a single lap. Did not realize it could be this much of a mind grab to race with someone.

What happens when there is a whole bunch of guys here? Wow that can make your brain work overtime trying to factor every other kart that is also trying to get around you when you are trying to do the same to the kart in front. With the karts speeding around and tires only inches apart, nobody knows what the other is thinking, everyone is trying to pass the other. Its amazing there is not a crash and pileup at every turn.

All this thinking while me and David have been just duking it out turn after turn. No contact, and its like we are each others shadow. This really is amazing. I had no idea it could be so intense and still be so much fun. If I dont over think everything and just relax, it seems the kart knows exactly what to do.

Then when there is an opportunity for me to make a move, execute it with exacting precision, and the pass is complete. Or I end up going in the turn wrong loosing all of that momentum. But then just drop back behind David and try again when the next chance presents itself.
Chapter 15

As I am overcoming all these fears getting my feet wet for the first time, something else had been conspiring in the pits. Seems like the kid that had been thrown out of his race earlier decided to come back and prove once and for all who the better driver was. David was the driver that started on pole for the feature and this other kid decided there was a a score that needed to be settled tonite.

This is all second hand information Steve had filled me in on the next day. For right now I didnt have a clue what was happening. While I had been running with David under simulated race conditions, this other kid pulled out on the track as we passed the entrance. I never did find out who he was. Seems like he and his whole family was barred from track for life after this incident.

Enjoying the laps and even having my confidence boosted when passing back and forth with David a few times, it happened. We just passed the track entrance, where the other kid was waiting to pull on behind us. We go thru the next turn that leads onto the long straightaway.

I was running just ahead of David. He gave me the thumbs up when passing him out of that turn. Then I went in just a little too deep in the next turn, scrubbing off some speed. Just enough for David to stick his nose under me. Then out of nowhere that other driver rammed his kart on the inside of David.

They are tangled up and both then slide up into me. I had no idea what was going on at the moment. Just that I remember yelling at the top of my lungs. OH $&(^. That is the only time I used this type language. Glad the helmet was on and nobody heard me. My kart, uh Mr Cates kart, from I remember, for that partial second while your whole life passes in front of your eyes.......

I remember trying to straighten out the kart which seemed to only make it worse. The brakes? What brakes? They dont seem to work so well when the kart is air born. That turn at end of the long straight is heavily banked. I am going off the highest part right as exiting that turn. The kart seems extremely light at the moment and I am starting to feel really queezy in the gut. I remember the back of kart was coming around. Starting to swap ends.

The kart keeps spinning around helicoptering even faster. I remember something about the laws of physics from science class that comes to mind right now. The banked turn acts as a ramp that launches up into outer space it seemed at that moment. Everything gets fuzzy and blrrs. A very loud bang clank, and crash. I get jerked really hard to one side of the seat. Then my head snaps forward and down. I am still holding the steering wheel really tight, but my body is not in the kart anymore.

My wrists get a stinging feeling and then finally let go. What I remember next is such a warm feeling. My body is nothing but limp. Really like having no weight at all. But there is such a bright light. So close I can almost touch it. Just out of reach. So warm. Why cant I touch it? For what seemed an eternity, it was surreal and like a dream. I wanted to reach that bright light. It was so inviting. And I was at peace. Everything was quiet.

Well if I could just reach out. Reach out and touch that light. It was right there in front of my face, but I just couldnt reach there. I am being pulled away from that light. The warmth, such a strong desire to reach it. Ahhhh. Everything goes dark. I feel something is pulling and grabbing. Voices and shouting. Some yelling in the distance, but cant really make out what is being said. Just want that warm feeling to return. Where did it go. It was right there in front of me.

Now it is mostly dark. I feel like being wrapped up in masking tape. Cant really move, but the warmth is coming back. Just no light. Wait I do see some light in the distance, but a dark outline, blocking the bright.....but not nearly as bright. More or a dim yellow but what is it?
Since the original notes are incomplete, I decided to add a modern twist. It can go a couple of different ways right now. Not sure what to do. Just play it by ear and see what happens.

Chapter 16

It seems the heat has been working on me. But it wasnt that hot. It was night time and races were over. Something happened. Not too sure about the details, but the light. It was so strong. The immense feeling of, well not really anything I have experienced before.

Hey Terry. TERRY! Earth to Terry. Are you there? Do you feel any pain? I remember looking up. See an outline of...something, someone. Dont really know. Being asked about how I feel. Do I feel any pain? Why would I feel any pain. Everything is fine. I try to open my eyes, but there is such a bright halo around the dark outline. I remember saying, "I think I see God". That followed with some mumbling voices, I could not make out exactly. Then dark, everything just went dark.

So am I really just dreaming? Or did something happen that I cant quiet grasp or come to terms just yet? Or maybe last night at the races left my brain so pumped up, that this is how I was dealing with all that excitement. A vivid dream making no sense at all. Well most of my dreams usually dont make sense anyway. This one in particular is going to cause me to wonder what is going on. Am I still asleep? Why not just wake up and get on with the day.

Now I am starting to feel really hot. Tired. I am sore and tired. Muscles are aching. My fingers are almost numb feeling and still tingling. There is that bright light again. But this time is really hot. Like the sun just baking down from above kind of hot.

Sweat is dripping down my forehead. Cant open my eyes because of the buring from sweat. It is hard to see right now. Looking up I can make out that outline again. A dark outline of a large man, holding something like a sickle. Oh wait its called a scythe. I chuckle, then thinking silently, Maybe the Grim Reaper is coming to collect. Dont think so, not today.

Hey there, have you made scales yet? Huh? I reach out my hand to block that bright light and open my eyes more. Looking up I start to focus in on, Mike Baldus? Huh? What is going on? I was at Faben Speedway track last night? Was it last night? What is going on right now? Am I loosing my mind?

I start to stand up, without thinking anything in particular at the moment. Other than being confused. Just trying to get my bearing on the situation at hand. Mike Baldus is talking to me. He is holding a large push broom in his right hand. Have I made scales?

Looking down behind me is my road racing kart. I had been sitting on the back tire, waiting. For what I wonder? Mike hands me a bottle of Ozarka water. He says "Looks like you can use this. Its too hot out in the sun right now. Find some shade in the tech barn while you are waiting".

I turn the bottle of water up . Then pour some on the back of my neck. Wow, that feels much better now. So what happened last night. Where am I? Wow maybe Mike is right. I have been out in the sun way too long. I feel hot and sweating too much. Not feeling all that great at the moment. But the water helped out a lot.

I instinctively walk into the tech barn looking around. Woh. Now it makes sense. I have been in the sun way too long. Why was I thinking about that story written back then in school? Thats like 20 some odd years ago. Too much sun sure can play tricks on your mind.

The year is 1994, not 1974 or when the story took place in 1961. It is June 30 to be exact. This is the IKF Road Racing Grand Nationals at Hallet. I just finished the race and waiting to go thru tech. It is hot and the sun is baking down on the pavement. So bright it is hard to see out there. Such a bright light.

Jim Stroud is working at the bench tearing down an engine. OK he yells. This class is released. Next up is the Yamahas. He motions me over then instructed to pull the engine off my kart and bring it in to the tech barn.

Linda Emmick is standing next to him just watching over whats going on. I asked her how everything is going today. She said doing fine and congrats on the win. That was a good race with Jim Russell. You pulled away up the hill and ended with a nice lead after that pass was made coming on the straight.

She had run for office and was voted in as one of the IKF board of directors and here at the grandnationals as the representative. She told me it is the first last and only time she ever makes this mistake. When her term is up, she is out of politics. No more. It isnt worth all of the frustration and grief. Not to mention how much trouble it is dealing with customers complaining about everything they dont like since taking this position.

I had to agree, anything to do with politics is too cut throat for me. I could not live my life like that either. She said originally it was her way of paying back to the sport for everything all these years in racing. But it is a completely thankless job. Anything you do good for one person or group just makes another upset or mad at the same time. There is never any ba1ance. Every action has seriously unforeseen consequences.

No matter how good the intentions are, someone is always going to be in your face about it. I see sides of people, even good long time customers that I never thought possible. I am officially retiring when my term is up. I can see how some people are only in this for their own personal gains. Definitely a self serving job. Otherwise you would go crazy trying to do what is right and make no headway trying to getting there.

She apologizes for the rant. Its been a long hot day. I just happened to be at the wrong place right then. Then I responded saying how much I enjoyed eating dinner at the steak house last night with everyone. I got to meet all the crew. Had good conversation with Lee Hatch, Austin Cameron, and some other racers from California. Didnt know you had such grievances about being on the board. Guess that is fair warning thinking about a political career in the future.

Jim stroud has been tearing my motor down without much of any expression. Then turns to me with a stern look in his eyes. A wave of his hand for me to come over. He shakes his head, exhales and is quiet for a moment. I feel a cold chill just for a second. With any change in his expression, "You won tech, so its official. Then a smile breaks out on his face. Congratulations.

Later that afternoon when all the races had finished, I was talking with Austin Cameron. They were selling out of their road racing equipment and moving up to SCCA. I make a deal with his dad, actually with him, to buy both of the Emmick roadracing karts they were racing. Rolling chassis with axle clutches and three display Digatron gauges. Even some interesting quick disconnect steering wheel hubs. Never seen these before. I guess they are legal.

After the handshake to seal the deal, Austin heads off to his pits. I am sitting on my little orange Honda Z50 pit bike under the only shade tree outside the tech barn. In my hand was a fresh cold Coors Light, just handed to me a few moments ago with the handshake. Today I had a great race and made a good deal on two karts. Even made some new friends. This beer is well deserved, quietly thinking to myself.

Linda Emmick is walking out of the tech barn, sees me and heads over to where I was under that shade tree. I asked her a few questions about Austins karts. She gives me all the low down on everything. I was glad to hear what she had to say. It confirmed everything I was told earlier from Austin.

I said, Today has been a good day. Then pull the tab on that cold beer. Linda reaches out her arm. Without warning snatches that beer from my hand. She rotates the can around so opening is indexed correctly for consumption. Taking a firm grip then turns the can up until completely empty. She crushes the can and hands it back. I really needed that she said. Then thanks me for the beer. I feel a lot better now. That hit the spot. She walks off back down the pit road and out of sight.

I am sitting there just trying to figure out what just happened. Looking up and notice how bright the sun still is. Even tho its later in the afternoon, can really feel the heat bearing down and radiating off the pavement. I sure could have used that beer myself. Oh well.

It is really hot here. I look up at the bright sunlight. Summer heat sure can do strange things. The sun is bright white. Everything around the bright sunlight just kind of phases out of my vision. Just focusing on that halo of light. I raise up my arm and can almost touch it. I can feel the heat in my fingertips.
Chapter 17

Steve comes over and starts asking over and over. Is he dead? Is he dead? Whats wrong with him? Why is there blood all over his face?

A local paramedic that races on the weekends, Michael Dowis also volunteers as the track medic in case of an accident. He tells Steve to calm down, that I am not dead and checking over the vitals. But did you see how hard he hit that light pole? The helmet is cracked on top. Why is there blood all over his face. Michael carefully wipes the blood off with a damp rag and finds out there is a small cut above my eyebrow.

After several minutes, Michael is satisfied I am in no mortal danger and should be alright. Just took a serious blow when the kart catapulted end over end and slammed into the portable light pole overlooking the banked turn at end of straight away.

My dad is standing there while Michael fills in the details on my condition. Your son doesnt seem to have any broken bones or suffered anything serious. Should be fine in a little while. His eyes respond to light and no signs of neck injuries. He was sort of in a daze a few moments ago. I gave him a mild sedative. Actually, I cornered old man McDaniel and asked for his flask. I dont know what is all in that corn whisky he makes, but sure does have good medicinal value. I mixed it with some 7 UP, and honey from the concession stand. Your boy sure had a surprised look on his face when he tried to choke it down. Seemed to find himself short of breath for a few moments after swallowing that concoction. He should be resting now.

Steve had left and come back now not so much in a panic. Is he going to be OK? Michael assures him I will likely make a most remarkable recovery in a short time. For now I needed a little time to relax and come to grips with what just happened and then would be back among the living soon enough.

Steve looks down at my face and starts laughing out. He is pointing to the expression on my face and then states loudly that I really was going to be ok. "I have seen this look on his face before. See how his eyes moving around like that. And the lanky smile he has. A while back when he crashed riding his bike, I thought he just about killed himself, but just bounced off the ground a few times.

Good thing he has a really hard head. He seemed to be out of it for a few seconds, but having some stupid ridiculous dream of him racing. He told me later about it all. It was one for the books for sure. I bet this one is going to be even better. Or so far out it would maybe even make sense this time. Cant wait to hear what was going on in his head when he wakes up.

Steve mentioned that Davids and the other kids equipment didnt suffer any real damage. They tangled up together and came to a complete stop, after rolling down off edge of track. I guess Terry was the reaction to their action, without anything working to slow that kart down.

Speaking of karts, Mr Cates interrupted Steves observations and asked to come help him retrieve the carnage. Mr Cates is telling Steve that he hoped everything is going to be alright. He feels really bad about being responsible for everything since offering me the ride in his kart.

Steve stared up at him with his head slightly cocked and eyes focused. Mr Cates, you dont have any reason to blame yourself. That kid they disqualified earlier tonight is the only person at fault here. Well maybe his dad too. I think they both deserve an ass woopin! Oh, I apologize sir, that just slipped out. There is something wrong with that family. Mr Cates still told Steve he thought that he might have been pushing me to get on the track tonight. Maybe that I wasnt ready.

Steve then made real clear that was not the issue at all. He new me well enough and could definitely say without a doubt, let Mr Cates know that was not the situation. If you knew Terry at all, you would not even think that, sir. He is more than ready to start racing. If it was anybody else, they would have jumped at the chance you offered him. It is just the way he does things.

Terry does not like taking advantage of other peoples generosity. He would prefer to do everything himself before accepting help from someone. If you didnt offer him this ride tonight, we would be headed back and him already working out how and what materials were available to build a kart. Then show up in a few weeks with something totally untested and not necessarily safe to drive. It may or may not complete a lap. But eventually he would get it right.

You have actually saved him from himself. I am sure he is going to be fine. I know that look on his face right now. Even tho he is out of it for the moment. Before when that blood was all over his face, I was sort of freaking out. I didnt know if or how bad he was hurt. I could only assume the worse. I know when he comes around, will be the one freaking out about all the damage to your kart. I will bet next weeks allowance that is the first thing he asks about. Sorry I know betting is wrong, but just saying.

Mr Cates and Steve carry the kart back to the pits. Wow, this thing is a total loss. The left side front axle is torn completely off. I wonder where it went? Two of the other wheels are not even sitting flat on the ground. Man what a twisted mess. Mr Cates goes on about how many new drivers started out their first time on this kart.

He had begun building these karts about two years ago. This is one of the very first models after the jig was finalized. Steve saw a small tear from Mr Cates right eye as he was talking. Oh well, I have a new style chassis on the drawing board right now. Guess it is time to make some headway with it.

What will you do with this chassis now Steve asked? Well son, you can see there is not one piece salvageable. Probably not even worth loading up. Are you being serious?, Steve questioned. Mr Cates responded, Yes, I am. Sometimes you just gotta accept your losses and move on. This is not worth fixing at all. There is not one thing straight. I dont see a reason even to salvage any of the parts either. There isnt anything left that is usable.

Steve was quiet and bit his lip for a moment. Mr Cates, If you are totally serious, could I ask of you a really big favor? Would you sell me whats left of the kart? Son, have you not been listening to me ranting on over the last ten minutes? There is really nothing useful at all. If you seriously want it, you can have it. I couldnt sell this to anyone regardless for what reason. I dont see why you would waste any time trying to make something of it.

Mr Cates, I know we have just met tonight, and dont know me or Terry at all, but you have no idea how much this means. This isnt for me. Its for him. If Terry knew I let this slip away, if you were really serious, I wouldnt hear the end of it from him.

You may not think its worth fixing. I understand that. But Terry sees things like this and somehow manages to turn a pile of twisted rubble into anything but that. He isnt always successful, but the journey of seeing the transformation is nothing short of amazing.

Well boy, I do know Terrys dad. Actually for some time now. I know his grandfather extremely well. We both worked at Temco after the war for several years. Way before I worked for Bell Helicopter. He is a good man. If Terry is anything like his grandfather, I do know where you are coming from. Some people are natural at improvising things. With a little mechanical aptitude, and basic skills, some kids your age can do amazing things.

I have a lot of years studying engineering. Not so much with natural talent, but can turn a blueprint into reality. But I have to draw it out first, and crunch all the numbers before I would actually start building something. I have seen other people able just to picture it in their heads and proceed from there with a finished product. They are only limited by their imagination. But for most people like this tho is really limiting.

If you really feel you boys can make something of this twisted up mess, I wont put the brakes on your journey. Here let me throw in some parts to help out. Here is an extra seat. Its been repaired a few times, but is really solid. It is just a backup in case of a night like this. Well not this bad, but you get the idea. The one on this kart is really not much more than splinters now. Dont see much use in trying to fix it at all.

A couple spare wheels, spindle and some tie rod ends. Here take these old Texcon tires. There is still a little life left in them. These are just used parts that were changed out with now ones. I keep them only for backup spares. I really dont see you getting this kart back together, so not too concerned about these old used parts ever getting put to use. But maybe time spent will be a good learning experience for the both of you.

How about helping me load up my twin on the trailer and I guess it time to head back home tonight. Glad to here Terry is coming around and is going to be fine. I will give his dad a call in a few days to see how things are going. Take care and it was really nice to meet the both of you. Steve shakes Mr Cates hand and really thanks him for everything. The old Studebaker station wagon fires up and is headed out of the pits and then down the road toward Ft Worth.
Chapter 18

Steve stood there quietly in the pits watching the tail lights fade into the night. Then heads back to that mock ambulance to check on his best friend patient. He sees Terry is sitting up alert, but with somewhat of a blank stare. Looking around like he is lost. He is holding an ice bag over his left eye. Both of his wrists have ace bandages wrapped around them.

Hey Terry, I see you are still among the living. Steve, man what have I done? Did you see Mr Cates kart? Is it alright? I sure hope its not too banged up. Man is he going to kill me! I cant believe what has happened tonight. How am I going to pay for everything? Man am I screwed. I need to talk to Mr Cates right now. As I start to stand up, everything goes black, and I fall back down in the chair. Man where did all those stars come from? Oh crap, that cant be good. Maybe I should stay sitting down for right now. Steve then mentions thats exactly what the doctor insisted.

Isnt that what Mr Dowis told you to do? Absolutely no exception, or he would strap you down to the gurney, if I remember his exact words. And with an exclamation mark to add! I didnt know he is a paramedic. Is that why he is here at the races doing this? I think we should start referring to him as Dr Mikey. Sounds more official dont you think?

Sure, whatever you say Steve, but I just gotta talk to Mr Cates. I need to find out what shape the kart is in. Man this is so bad tonight. I should have stayed home. I will be working for the whole summer trying to make enough money to do whatever it takes to get his kart fixed. What if it is totaled? Oh crap, I dont want to think about it right now. Just giving me a bigger headache.

Well, dont worry Terry. Mr Cates has already loaded up and just left a little while ago. I will tell you tho. He was really pissed. Well more upset than anything. Oh about the kart.....You may want to wait until you are feeling a little better before knowing what happened to the kart.

Dude dont mess with me Steve. Is it that bad, really bad? Is the axle bent or did I break a wheel? You know those wheels are magnesium, dont you? I bet they are not cheap either. So how bad is it? Please tell me.

Are you sure you want to know right now? I mean it could give you a relapse. Might just pass out right here all over again. Oh by the way, I aint never seen a guy faint from a simple scrape up with another kart. Would expect it from a girl tho. I didnt think you were that big of a sissy.

Gee Steve, did I actually faint. I dont have a clue what happened. Just remember the kart and me spinning. Then found myself here wrapped up in a blanket like a mummy and this bump on my head. I am scared to death Mr Cates kart is messed up tho. Cant see it not having damage of some sort.

I am thinking it is really bad for some reason. What happened anyway. Nobody has said much of anything. I dont even know how bad I messed up to cause the wreck. Oh what happened to David? Did I cause anything to happen to him or his kart? This is too much I cant take it. Hope it isnt bad as I fear right now.

Man, calm down Terry. I was just messing with your head. Well somebody already beat me to that. You really dont remember anything? I mean it keeps replaying in my head over and over. All I have to do is shut my eyes and I see you and that kart going air born and spinning up like a helicopter and flying way off the track. And I mean WAY OFF the track.

Hey Terry, did Dr Mikey say its alright for you to have a pop? Or just keep with the water? I will ask him to make sure. Be back in a few with some drinks. So stay put and I will give you the whole spill. Just chill out. Its not really bad as you think. Well it is but not in the sense you are thinking.

While Steve is gone I am trying to jog my memory from about the accident. Did I cause it? What did I do wrong to have made such a mess? Looking over across the table in concession stands, there is a pile of saw dust and the remnants of that helmet I was wearing earlier. It was split in two on the top. The leather sides are totally ripped apart. That sawdust stuffing is splayed all over the ground. I feel my head and there is still sawdust in my hair. Man this feels yucky.........

Alright do you want RC Cola or Orange Crush? I know, you hate RC. Its really not that bad. Orange Crush is too sweet for me anyway. Take these, they are that new Tylenol stuff that came out last year. Dr Mikey said take these two here, both of them, and not anymore for the night. He also told me under no circumstance were you to move your butt from that chair. Or I would answer for it. Great I get punished for you not obeying the doctor. Whats up with that?

Please tell me what happened. Everything is a complete blur. Whats Tylenol anyway? I havent ever heard of it before. Is it prescription or something? Its not a relaxative or something and make me go all soft in the head is it? Will it knock me out? Or just turn me in to a zombie?

Man whats with all the questions? Maybe you did get hit too hard on the head. I dont think you mean laxative. It will make things go soft, but not what you are thinking. But you mean a tranquilizer. Like you see in the Hollywood movies where all those rich people rely on to stay sane. Legal prescription drug abuse is what I see.

The pills are just Tylenol. You havent heard of it before? Just like asprin but supposed to work a lot better. Was available over the counter last year. Before that I think it was still prescription tho. Actually I didnt know either. That is what the doc just clued me in on when I talked to him.

Oh by the way, I told Mr Dowis his official title at the track is now Dr Mikey. He gave me cross between a smirk and scowl. I think he is ok with the new nick tho.

Hand me the ice bag while you choke down the pills. Dude you got one helluva of a shiner on that eye. Cool. It is already turning. Starts up here at just a darker yellow, brown, really cool crimson, maroon, and deep red. Now starting starting to go black over here. Looks like someone got the best of you. Ha, you tangled with a kart and lost.

Screw you man! My head is killing me, and all you are doing is giving me crap! What happened. Quit playing around and please tell me what is going on. Right now if I could stand up, you would be the one getting a black eye. Then both of us can sit here in pain.

Man, I dont know about you. Get in to one little scuff and all titty baby about everything. OK here goes the long version, since you are stuck there for a while. First thing David is fine. No real major damage. He really isnt that mad at you for anything. Well he is mad. I mean really hot about everything. Just not you.

Steve enough with the babbling and going in circles. Please tell me what happened. How bad did I mess things up? My head feels like its is going to explode. Tell me whats going on above my eye too.

Alright maybe you should take a chill pill. Lift up the ice bag. Yea you need to calm down. Those butterfly bandages look like might be working loose. That cut isnt too deep, but you sure bled like a stuck pig for a while.

I was sort of freaking out there at first. Thought you might have actually managed to get yourself killed. That sure would eliminate any chance of me ever racing during the rest of my natural life. Man I am sorry, being so selfish. Here you get the beating of your life and I am worried about getting to race. You must think I am a real heel right now.

I remember one episode of Perry Mason. He said dead men dont bleed. I know you aint any where close to being a real man yet, but thought the same must still apply. You were bleeding profusely, so must still be alive. Wow, I never thought about actually using that word. It was on last weeks test. Profusely, has a nice serious sound to it. Dont you think so?

Steve go away and quit messing with me. Now I find out there is a gash on my head, and a black eye according to you. I am not feeling so good. You keep going on and wont tell me anything. Stomach is not doing so well either now. All my joints really are hurting. Why are my wrists wrapped up? I am starting to feel like crap.

Oh the doctor said you might start feeling sick after the adrenaline rush. I think he said you would like start crashing. Wait....you already did that earlier. Well an adrenaline crash and start feeling really tired and sick. Guess he is right. Try drinking some more Orange Crush to get some real sugar in your veins. You might have slightly sprained your wrists too. Or hyper extended your ligaments. Something to that affect, I think thats how Dr Mikey explained it.

I am guessing you didnt notice all the bruises on your arms yet? You sure look like a trainwreck. Hopefully the Tyenol will start working soon enough. Otherwise I will be stuck here babysitting and listen to your complaining all night.
I know the story is going slowly right now, but had to build the characters. If you are liking it so far, please rate it with some stars. That way it will keep me motivated to decipher these old notes parts of it is scribbled on.

I have an idea on what direction to take this. The original story only covered a visit to the local track. I added the future event to go in another direction too, if it works. But also figured out how to tie in some actual races at different tracks that some of you may remember or even have attended back in the 60's. Input from all of you is a really powerful motivator. Thanks
Definitely five stars.

SMOKEY