Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 140

Now Chris had to prove to me he was able to make a good clean pass to get around in the next few turns. While Chris had been following Steve, his driving looked decent. But I could tell he was only copying what Steve was doing. Not driving naturally like he had been doing before we changed up his kart.

Chris has enough power when driving my kart to pass me just about anywhere on the track. But he does not have the confidence yet to realize that. So today he needs to keep making laps following me or Steve until it becomes natural for him driving again.

Unfortunately he is way too used to that dead axle. The kart sort of just followed which direction the front tires were pointed. His engine also didnt have enough power to really make much difference in what the kart did. Now the live axle needs a lot more power plus he has to learn to actually drive instead of just turning the wheel.

Steve puts up his hand and we all follow him into the pits. I can tell Chris is not happy at all. I figure he is really about ready to blow a head gasket. Good thing there isnt one on him or the  engine. I was surprised to see Chris set his helmet down in my seat. But then he just walked off without saying a word to us.

Me and Steve spent the next ten minutes making adjustments, oiling the chains, and filling up the gas tanks. Chris was absentee during this time. I was thinking about what needed to be done on our karts to take advantage of the little bit of time we have left to ourselves.

While I was checking over his kart, Chris came up and watched me. I checked the tire pressure since there was enough laps put on the kart to find out what we needed to adjust. I noticed the front tires were 22 pounds and very hot. The rear tires were right at 20 and barely over warm.

The front tire pressure was dropped down to the 16 pounds it was supposed to be initially set at. I also moved the rear wheels out slightly. Since Chris was standing there, I handed him the big break over bar to help me remove the rear wheel axle nuts. We went with a 32 inch long axle when doing the conversion and made those small spacers so the wheels could be set out another 1/2 inch on each side.

I thought the front tires had been checked when we got here. Not understanding why they were up so high. Maybe they were both still set at 20 pounds when Chris had mounted the tires originally. But I do remember Chris asking me about what the pressures needed to be set at yesterday when changing mine out.

Whats on your mind Chris? You are unusually quiet right now. He looked tired and his eyes were red and almost swollen.

I thought I knew how to drive. Now I realize I dont have a clue. It is like when I first got my kart. I was all over the place. It took me forever before I was able to make the kart do what I wanted. But that was only when practicing in parking lots.

When I first got out here, then again I was not able to keep the kart on the track. When I finally figured out how to make it go in a straight line, then started racing. I was having fun and enjoying myself being able to get it around the track at a decent pace.

I knew my kart was not fast, but that didnt keep me from having fun trying to get it going faster around the track. Now with all that work done, I cant drive it at all. Then realizing it was not the kart that was the problem after driving yours.

You guys are awesome driving out there. I dont see how I can ever make my kart get around smooth like both of you are doing. Then you go flying by me driving my own kart. What am I doing so wrong?

Chris I think you just need to get some more track time. Dont try to race out there. Just run laps to get smooth and a feel for how the kart handles now. This live axle is nothing at all like you are used to. But when you get it figured out, your kart will be flying out there a lot faster than before.

You cant just sit down in a kart and force it to go where you want to. It has to be set up properly and then you have to understand what the kart is doing to drive it. What little bit of time me and Steve have spent practicing was all spent on figuring those things out. That first time I got the chance to drive Mr Cates kart, I found out what the kart is supposed to handle like. After that I made adjustments that get the kart there. Then make adjustments to make it even better.

Chris, all the time racing your kart, how many things have you done to make it easier to drive. Did you adjust tire pressure or check if the wheel bearings are not worn out?  Did you ever measure the front end to see if the toe-in was close? After tearing your kart apart, I dont see how you made a complete lap out here.

When the kart is set up near perfect, you can make it do just about anything. But first you have to know its limitations. And yours, of course. Right now your limitations are holding you back. You dont have the confidence needed to race yet. We need to take advantage of this afternoon and run a ton of laps with you.

I mean as in not trying to race each other. It will be mostly boring, but you might figure out how to drive in to a turn and carry your speed out without it plowing off the track or spinning out. If the kart is close to right, and you are relaxed, the kart wont let you down. But you have to know how to drive it thru the turns, not like how you were accustomed to the kart handling.

I dont know if I can do that. I was so used to how it did handle. Or realize it didnt really handle at all. I was not expecting anything like how it drives now. It is totally different. Oh yea, I didnt know you had to do all that stuff to make the kart handle. I only fixed what broke or fell off. I didnt know tire pressure made much difference. Just aired them up when flat. But I did figure out how to change the tire when all the tread wore off and blew a big hole in a bald spot.

All you can do is get back out there and put a lot of laps down. I bet your next session will feel a lot different than your first attempt. But you need to follow Steve. He likes making laps just for the drive time. This is perfect for you to see where he brakes and when he steers into the turns.

Just take it easy and try copying what he is doing. Then when you are getting it down, try making slight alterations and see the difference it makes. You may find out you can go deeper in some of the turns or get back on the gas sooner than he does.

OK I will give it a try. But if I am not improving a lot before race time, I will not race tonight. But I will pit for you. I already made up my mind about this, so dont try to change it.

No problem Chris, if that is how you feel. I wont push you on it at all. But I am going to push you to get out there on the track while we have it all to ourselves. So get suited up. You are wasting valuable time right now.

By the way, since you drove both the karts already, what is the difference between them?

Um, I really didnt give myself a chance to feel much of anything about my kart. Except it was not at all what I was expecting. The engine is a whole lot faster. That I did realize right off. But I was so, I dont know, maybe disappointed, that my kart didnt drive like I was thinking it should.

Then I really screwed up thinking my kart was just messed up and your kart would drive itself. I found out too quick that something else was wrong. That my driving might not be so great after all. I could not understand how you and Steve made it look so easy.

But it was so easy for me to drive my kart before we changed the axle over. Now it runs a ton faster, except I cant make a single lap on the thing without getting frustrated about not being able to drive it right.

Well Chris I made some changes, but you didnt make a complete lap on your kart, so probably wont notice if the adjustments helped or not. Focus on how it handles compared to mine. Then we can talk about things later this afternoon.

Chris did manage to make some serious laps during our last hour of practice. I made a few laps and then decided on one gear change. My engine acted like it had a lot more to give if I added a tooth to the axle. It seemed to have a punch at the end of the long straight, but too late to take advantage of it.

After waiting up for Steve this next time out, I followed both him and Chris around to see how much difference the gear change made. It sure felt like I had a lot more punch out of the hole now and pulling harder down the straight.

At the end I really felt the difference this time. I dropped down and passed both Steve and Chris way earlier than I could before the gear change. Then going into the tight turns, the kart was much stronger. Back around on the short straight, I noticed there was almost a full kart length between me and Steve now.

I didnt let up and pushed the kart for all I could on this next lap. Pulling on to the long straight, I could feel the difference in speed. The engine is a lot faster than from our first race. Even faster than when I tried out the bored carburetor during our second practice day out here.

I dont know how much closer my kart can run with the Westbends, but expecting they are going to get a run for their money if I am right about the engine. Then I reminded myself of the work done on the E-65 piston. Thinking about how those ring fillers could come apart and turn the engine to shrapnel.

I backed way off and let Chris and Steve pull back ahead of me. Then took it very easy following Chris to see how he was driving. He still seemed a little bit jerky trying to copy Steves exact moves with the braking and steering. Overall he didnt look too bad, but he is very hard on himself.

If he is not satisfied with the improvements he makes, then no racing for him tonight. Even tho I know he will regret that decision if he chooses not to do so. Then I had an idea. How about a little bit of distraction to take his mind off of his slightly jerky driving?

Since I had enough extra engine to mess around with him, I decided to push Chris a little bit and force him off his line. Then a tap here and there wouldnt hurt too much. I sure dont want to scrape wheels with his kart, but need to make him drive defensively.

I hope he doesnt give up his position if I try to stuff my nose between him and Steve again. That means he is not confident in his driving at all. Steve is doing an excellent job running at a decent pace and driving a perfect line for Chris to follow.

But that is only one line that Steve favors. Chris needs to drive outside of his comfort zone and learn how to correct the kart when not in his groove. He needs to find his own line too. His kart handles slightly different that the Cates karts.

I am hoping the changes I made will help out a lot on getting his kart to respond more to what I am used to. This way it will be easier to figure out what changes need to be made on his kart making it handle to his liking. I know he is going to use mine and Steves karts as how his should handle, so makes sense.

I spent a lot of laps now pushing Chris. Moving him out of position, stuffing my nose in on him, even braking early one time. So far he has reacted the way I was expecting. But his driving is still more mechanical than natural fluid motion. I am watching him and Steve both together figuring this out when behind them.

My engine starts to sputter and nosing over. I dont remember filling the tank up during the last stop. Hope that is the only problem. It is not good if the modifications I made just to my engine alone are already failing. This is something I hope with not happen for a while. And it has not been that much of a while, not even close.       

I back away and pull off the track, while engine is now popping and sputtering. Then it dies as I coast to our pits. Argh, I dont need this right now. First thing is to check the gas tank. I see the tank is very close to empty. But not bone dry like I was expecting. That would not be very smart. Just another thing I dont need to let happen.

I take some time to watch Steve and Chris make their laps. So far, Steve has been more than consistent. Chris is still very jerky and making every attempt to keep the same distance behind Steve all around the track. Then copying his hands and feet movements best he can.

Chris is having a tough time being smooth when steering. He seems to slightly oversteer then attempts to correct. But over compensating when doing so. He looks very tense out there too. Like having a death grip on that steering wheel.

When Chris lets off the gas then brakes, he is not smooth at all. It seems like he is only copying Steves every moves. Not trusting himself at all to do the driving. I need to figure out something to make Chris relax and trust himself better.

Maybe it is time for Chris to take the lead and have Steve try pushing him for some laps. Steve holds his hand up, so he is pulling off the track now. But Chris decided to take some more laps out there alone.

As I am walking up to the fence, Steve follows me over there. Well that was fun. I am feeling good about the kart. My driving is about the same. Nothing that sticks out as a problem yet. Got anything to add?

Nope Steve, you are a statue out there. Very consistent but predictable. During the race you need to work on that one thing. Otherwise everything looks good. Chris on the other hand is totally lost. He is not trusting his instincts at all.

He is so down on himself, I dont know if he will figure things out before race time. I hoped following you would get him up to speed, but he is only mimicking your driving style. He is fighting his own natural ability and only copying you. I dont know what to do about him right now.

Watch him out there by himself. Still copying exactly how you drive. That does not even look like him in the kart. Notice how rigid he is sitting up like that? He used to be so layed back like part of the seat. Now its like something that is strapped on top of a stool and being forced to endure everything.

Yea he sure does look tense out there like you said. Maybe Frank could give him some pointers. I turned and punched Steve in the arm hard and wanted it to hurt.

HEY MAN, that WAS totally called for. As he rubbed the pain away. It was just a joke. Not a funny one, but still..... I did have to laugh at Steves attempt to make fun of the moment.

Speaking of hay Steve, tell me what you think of my idea. How about if me and you go out there and distract Chris. We need to get up all in his business. Make him react to our distractions. See if we can make him rely on instinct instead of his insecurity he is showing right now.

Once he finds that groove, his driving is going to be impressive. Well I am hoping for that. What do you think?

I think you slugged my arm too hard. Dont think I can drive for a while. Then his smiled. Yea we can try that. What is the worst that could happen? Him not wanting to race tonight? I see that highly unlikely from him. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
Chapter 141

After Chris pulled off the track, we all took a break. Me and Steve went over all three karts, while Chris went and sat down against the fence in the shade by himself. His head was facing down, looking tired and frustrated. Add some stress with that too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5368]

While Steve had been putting laps down, he never pushed himself to see how fast his kart would go. Just working on consistency and bettering his driving ability. When open practice starts later, he would likely step it up a notch and use some of the other drivers to test his skills.

When we were getting ready to go back out on the track to harass Chris, my engine would not start at all. Then everything different about my engine caused some brain cells to process the "what ifs" while I stood over my kart staring down at nothing in particular. I removed the spark plug and noticed is was all wet. I thought this was odd and hoping the ignition was not the problem. We didnt have extra parts to fix that today.

I pulled over the engine and found it had no spark. This was not a good sign. Before panicking I went ahead and grabbed a new spark plug, realizing this is the only spare we have.

With the new spark plug, there was a bright purplish blue burst between the electrodes. I was once again a happy camper. Installed the new plug and after a couple of pulls it started up, but coughing and bellowing a lot of smoke before clearing out.

We were about at the end of our practice session alone, so me and Steve agreed to gang up on Chris. Chris decided the best thing to do for now is keep following Steve around. He realized my kart was a bit faster, so didnt see any reason to attempt to keep up with me if I took the lead. Right now it was practice, not racing.

Steve was ahead with Chris following close behind. I waited another lap for them to come by the pits before pulling out there and then catch up behind them. Soon as I pull up to Chris he gets tapped on the rear bumper. I bumped him on the left side while he was entering the left sweeper at end of long straight away. He almost lost it swinging out out wide then crossing up the steering when just barely saving himself.

Chris sawed the steering wheel a few times while attempting to get back control of the kart. He did manage to save himself without loosing much ground. I backed off then pulled in behind him again. For the next two laps, I didnt force anything. Just stayed up close more like his shadow. He knew I was there, since his head kept turning to see which side I was on.

Backing off a little ways, I noticed Chris seemed to push himself into the seat a bit more than he had been doing. But he still looked tense with a death grip on steering wheel. I was thinking about what next to try on him when Steve slammed on the brake and went wide.

This sure woke Chris up from his almost hypnotic trance he had been in while following Steve. He first turned down then hit the brake pedal too hard and the rear was starting to come around. Chris steered right and got back on the gas saving his line and keeping the kart from spinning out.

Chris took the lead this time since he had no choice about it. I let off while Steve managed to get back in the groove. He gave me a thumbs up and chased Chris back down.

While Chris didnt really loose much speed after taking the lead, his jerky actions became more noticeable again. Steve pulled back up behind him and began pushing Chris coming on the short straight in front of the pits.

Steve backed off just before Chris was about to setup for the fast turn leading on to the long straight. Although jerky, Chris managed to hold his line and did maintain decent speed all the way to the sweeper.

Chris went to brake slightly early and got a love tap from Steve. Again Chris over compensated and almost spun off the track. But he did manage to save himself from the near mishap. Steve went down low leaving a window open for me to catch up to Chris thru the twisty part of the track.

I ran right up to his bumper and stayed on him while he managed to keep his kart mostly in the groove. Chris was riding the brake a couple of times when not necessary. But only enough for him to keep the kart from loosing traction and getting squirrelly. More likely out of not trusting himself yet.

On the next lap Steve went flying by me and cutting over on Chris. This forced Chris to swing out wide, tap the brake and then drop down on the inside of Steves kart. Steve held the lead position, but Chris did manage to pull in tight behind him. While not sure what Steve had in mind, I had dropped back a couple kart lengths to watch the action.

Even tho Chris was still choppy driving, his instincts were showing. We continued on this way for the remainder of our last private practice session. Neither me or Steve really tried to push Chris any farther than already what we had done. Just followed up with more laps swapping positions and running close to each other until Paul came out on the track and threw out the black flag.

We exited off the track and coasted over to our pit spot. Chris remained in the kart with his head down beating on the steering wheel. Well the helmet was still on his head. It was taking a slight beating. Better this way than thrown down in the seat or on the pavement.

Attached Files
.jpg   Chris bumbed out11.jpg (Size: 128.04 KB / Downloads: 49)
Chapter 142

It was around 3:45 when Paul flagged us off the track. For the next 15 minutes is was reasonably quiet considering where we were. There was a lot of people  unloading karts and pushing them in the pits.

Since we had been here working in the morning, I lucked out picking one of the better choice of pit spots. Right in the middle of the pits is an overhead light. We picked this spot since it is well lit and close to the pit entrance. It was also up against the fence so there was not a lot of unwanted traffic walking all around.

We took a break and watched as everyone was arriving and parking their cars. It is surprising to see how many creative ways people come up with to load karts on their cars and trucks. Some of them even have fancy trailers that could carry most of the equipment too.

Here comes a 4wd truck pulling in. Sure looks like he can go just about anywhere in that thing. There are four karts on the flatbed. Wow, that could be a lot of work keeping them all running.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5369]

There were two karts sitting on top of a station wagon using the luggage rack. Plenty of them stuck out of the trunks of cars. Pickup trucks had managed to stuff three and four karts in the bed.

On top of one car looked like a manufactured rack for karts. It was pretty slick. And probably expensive too. But seemed like it would be difficult to get the kart on and off that rack without damaging something or scratching the paint. A closer look at the rack, I saw it was held in place with suction cups that stuck to top of car. Then straps were also used to make sure it stayed put. Oh well, whatever it takes.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5370]

I noticed a small boat trailer that was converted over and double stacked. This sure makes it easy to get all of your stuff to the track. I got to wondering if there are any old used boat trailers sitting around that are cheap to buy. How hard could it be to change one over?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5371]

There was even one Thunderbird that had the kart strapped to some small framework secured to the rear bumper and angled up over the removable top. A little bit of padding and several straps then all was good.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5373]

For some reason this made me think of Frank. He mentioned carrying a kart on the back of his Volkswagen once. I wonder if he is really going to show up tonight. Then remembering back each time we were out here with him.

Those first two practice days turned into a nightmare for me. Its like most of my time was spent working on Franks kart. That first day he arrived at the track and not even bothered putting the kart together. He said there were only a few things needing to be tightened up. Yea right!

Last year when I was in the seventh grade like Chris is now, we had the usual words and definitions to match up on these daily tests. New words and then try to match with a definition from a list of given choices. Mostly boring daily tests, but some new ones were worth remembering.  

There was this one word I had never seen or heard before, Quagmire. I passed on this one word until all of the other choices were picked. That meant the last definition should be correct. But the right definition did not really match with the sound of this word at all.

In my thinking just from the pronouncing the word,  a definition would be more like an unsolvable situation, or something there is no coming back from. This definition would be a perfect fit for the word to describe the situation finding myself in both times when helping Frank at the track.

The main definition was very disappointing to me when I realized what this word meant. But later reading in a dictionary the secondary definition is what would be the prefect choice if on that test. A difficult, precarious, or entrapping position : predicament. With this definition then it does fit. But just using this word in describing any situation when referring to Frank explains everything about him perfectly. 

So helping Frank that first practice day, over a half hour was wasted just digging thru all the boxes of parts trying to put his kart together. Right after finishing and telling Frank to suit up is when I found out he did not even bring any fuel. It was lucky for him we had some extra to loan out.

The second practice day out here was even a bigger disaster or more suited, a quagmire. Frank had layed his hands on that super duper prototype special Rupp wannabe A-bone Dart kart like he was some kind of mechanical engineer. No, even one better than that. Like a mechanical genius.

This is more to what he would describe himself. Franks kart was perfect in every detail. Even better than ole Mic himself could have done to a production built kart. Except this kart is a special prototype. It was special since Mickey Rupp aka "Mic" to Frank had said so. That is why Frank bought the kart. Or maybe the discounted price he paid had something to do with him buying it

He was so proud of his accomplishment right up to him unsuccessfully completing that first ill fated lap. Watching his exaggerated attempts to steering the kart around was more than comical. His attempt of driving was a total clown show that would have drawn maximum reaction from the crowds watching. Unfortunately it was no act for him. He literally thought his kart was possessed from how horribly it now handled.

After he finally calmed down, I offered him a ride in my Cates kart. Curiosity got the best of me and I really wanted to get him away from his kart for a while. Then try to figure out what he did to make it handle so bad. The first practice day we were here, his kart seemed to get around decently. Even better if you didnt factor in his lack of driving skills. But since I am not yet a mature responsible adult and just a rookie at this kart stuff, it was not my place to say anything about his abilities. Or in my opinion his lack of abilities.

Back in his garage a few days earlier, I had asked Frank about some things he changed up on the kart. His answers made perfect sense at the time. But the result of those changes messed his kart up terribly. So while he was chasing Steve around on the track, gave me a chance to check over the kart and see if it could be fixed that day.

After a lot of persuading, I convinced Frank to let me take his kart out for a lap. Explaining to him I just to find out what he was talking about with the kart not handling. There was no mention at all about what I had changed on his kart. But he was not giving in. Then telling me it was a good way to get myself killed since his kart handled so poorly. Especially if it really was possessed.

He went into how much more power his engine had compared to ours. The speed difference alone was a deal breaker. Along with an evil handling chassis, he was not going to be so irresponsible to let me drive it on the track. But also assuring me I was not capable enough to even keep it on the track. It was that evil from his almost one completed lap.

After some pleading, he agreed to follow me around in my kart going very slowly so he could get an up and close view of what his kart was actually doing on the track from behind. Frank actually thought this was a good idea. This was Steves idea for Frank to analyze the kart with an engineers perspective and then better figure out what the problem might be. This allowed me to take his kart for at least one lap. Then he can decide if more laps would be allowed.

It didnt take the first turn to realize that everything that Frank fixed was the very reason for the kart to be so evil handling. I loosened up all the things he worked on and adjusted his kart back to how the other karts are set up. Since the track is not really flat and the kart is all twisted and torqued driving thru the turns, it does not make sense to expect everything on the kart to stay square and plumb to the ground.

That does not mean things can be all lopsided or bent. Running in a straight line, all four tires need to sit flat on the ground with even amount of weight from side to side. The front tires can have toe in/out and even obvious camber. Whatever it takes to make the kart handle well with the least amount of rolling resistance.

You could set the front end to stay hooked up and never break loose. But the kart scrubs off too much speed this way. It might feel like your kart is glued to the track, but loosing too much forward motion is the same as going backwards in a race. The same goes for the rear end too.

There is a fine ba1ance between enough traction and forward motion. You can also set the kart up too loose. It might feel like you are flying thru the turns only to be passed by someone else more hooked up. This way your kart may be moving sideways more than forward in the faster turns. Sideways motion is the same as going backwards.

One thing really critical is how much power your engine is producing. Our junior bushing class is on the very low end of power. As in not very much to work with at all. So any adjustments can be immediately felt out there on the track. Especially if you have another kart to compare against every time.

So back to working on todays problem. Chris was sent back out on my kart after that first attempt of driving his almost one lap. From his description there may be a slight understeer if he was comparing to the way it used to drive. With the new live axle his kart would seem much tighter than he had been accustomed to.

After checking over his kart I found out the tire pressure had not been properly set. Since the back end stayed really hooked up when I drove it, may also be too tight, So decided to widen out the rear tires. Even tho it was only a minor adjustment on each side, the difference should be noticeable.

We made those axle spacers 1/4 inch wide. Two of them for each side. So I had moved a single spacer out on each wheel. This made the rear axle tread width 1/2 inch wider. Since this is a written journal, all of these minor little details are important to record. A lot of repetition helps keep everything fresh in my head.

With these types of adjustments making a difference, to me means the kart is close to being set up fairly well. If there was very little or no real difference in handling, then we were still way off on where the kart needed to be set up. At least this is how I have figured out one way to make adjustments to my kart.

I am still not sure what the tire pressures need to be set at. The pressure seems close to being right for current track conditions, but if something changes, unsure of what direction to go yet. We need a lot more drive time before making changes with the little bit of difference in track conditions we have experienced so far.

Attached Files
.jpg   Flatbed truck.jpg (Size: 168.68 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   Top mounted kart rack.jpg (Size: 167.33 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   Boat trailer conversion.jpg (Size: 112.53 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   T-bird with kart.jpg (Size: 166.97 KB / Downloads: 39)
Chapter 143

Since we managed to get some drive time in today without too many distractions, it was time for a break. I was no where close to getting things tested like planned. But two days ago I would not have believed we would be at the track today with all three karts running.

Chris was totally bummed out. His day had not gone at all like he was expecting. With all of that work done on his kart, it did not drive like he had anticipated. I guess if he was expecting a miracle then maybe should have been on 34th street, not sitting down in the pits at a track surrounded by grass and cows off in the distance.

I had walked off from the pits to grab a cup of ice cold water. Looking over at Chris, I could tell he was hot and miserable feeling. Being so hard on himself did not help any either. It is hot today and his hair was all knapped and sweaty.

Returning to our pit spot I quietly walked up behind Chris. He was still slumped over with his head down. Waving at Steve got his attention, then I made some hand gestures to him. Steve shook his head understanding what I was about to do.

So Chris, do you feel like the kart is handling OK out there? Steve was attempting to keep his attention, but not much response back. Chris just shrugged his shoulders not even looking up.

Standing right behind Chris I carefully aimed my cup of ice cold water right over his neck and poured it down his back. This gave an instant reaction. Chris jumped straight up with his first reaction to start swinging. WHAT THE? Chris immeidiately covered over his mouth before yelling out some obscenity. He caught himself just in time.

With his temper flaring, he tried a swing at me. I stepped back missing his fist. Steve immediately jumped up grabbing his arms and keeping him in check. Hold up there cowboy. Chris was tense and trying to break free. Steve stayed strong until Chris quit resisting.

What the heck was that....? he first started yelling with his back arched reacting to the unexpected distraction of that intense cold sensation. Then shaking off the purely magical effects of cold water running down his back when really hot.

I didnt say anything while he was still adjusting to the frigid cooling sensations being experienced. Just smiling while watching his facial expression change. At first there was enough anger I was expecting him to keep swinging at me just out of natural survival instinct. But a few seconds later, I saw the stress and tension drain from his face. Not a big happy grin yet, but not what it was.

Wow, what a difference. Thanks for that Terry, I think. Was that your reason to do it? I sure have been in a sour mood. But now I feel a little bit better. Sorry for being such a pain out here today. I was really bummed out from things not working like sort of expecting. Well I still am bummed out.

One thing I was happy to find out is that Chris managed to control himself. Only a few weeks before, when first hanging out with us, he had a tendency to go off when he was challenged or thinking we were picking on him. He had been showing an uncontrollable temper at the time.

With him catching his mouth really surprised me. I had mentioned how bad it sounds when some people get angry and start throwing all kinds of profanities out. This was a sign of someone completely out of control and very self destructive.

Chris didnt really understand at all. He told me just about everyone he has been around acts that way. It was nothing unusual to him hearing most others including a lot of his classmates to act the same way.

But since Chris has been hanging around with us so much lately his mannerisms have changed a lot. He wasnt letting certain foul language slip out like he had at first. I told him not to let it happen around my mom or he would be in the dog house for life.

Chris took an immediate liking to my mom. But most people do. When she is around, it is like a security blanket holding you safe. She does not coddle you or anything like being spoiled. Just knowing she is there makes you feel a lot better. But she also has no problem laying down the law either.

Then explaining about watching my oldest brother getting his mouth washed out with a bar of soap for cursing, was something to think about before using certain language. I also told him my mom would have no problem washing all of that filth out his own mouth with that very same bar of soap, if he got caught by her.

Chris went pale as his eyes opened really big when I first told him all of this. After that day, he seemed to keep mostly in check. Only a few times did he let things slip only to realize how bad it did sound to use that type of language.

He said when everyone else used foul language all the time, it seemed only natural to do the same. But since spending so much time with us, he has done a great job keeping in check. Now he frowns when other people just go on using poor choice of words when there is no rational reason to do so.

Chris straightened up and now in control of himself. The cooling effect did its job and now is subsiding. With a decent grin showing on his face he quickly grabbed the cup of water from my hand. I was expecting to get doused, but surprised to find out otherwise.

Chris bowed his head down and poured the remainder of the ice cold water over his knappy hair and shook all around. While holding out the cup for me to take back, he swung his fist into my arm. That was for sneaking up behind me. At least Chris was now smiling.

OK guys I feel a lot better now. But what do I need to do to get better at driving? I am so lost out there. I mean nothing is even close to what I was expecting. I am in left field on roller skates. Chris then let out his signature double chuckle.

The idea of upgrading my kart was something I could not even imagine at first. Then thinking about having a kart that would actually handle and how much faster I could go. It was all I thought about for that first week.

Then realizing it was really going to happen. I would have a decent kart now like most of the faster drivers out here. Today I discover that maybe I am not going to be one of those faster drivers. Well at least not yet. Is there any advice you guys can give me that might make some difference today?

Chris I dont know if it would help any, but my kart just about drives itself. Even tho it is not that much different than Terrys, I can still tell a difference. It may be nothing, but why dont you take my kart out for a few laps.

I got to thinking about all those laps you have followed me in my kart. I suspect your kart handles slightly different than mine. But you have been trying to copy exactly how I drive. Or how my kart likes to be driven by me.

Since this live axle is not at all like you are so used to driving then maybe try to make some minor adjustments to your driving style. Or to the way your kart wants to be driven now.

How about we swap karts and take some more laps. If you promise to be very careful driving my kart out there, we can do this. I am so pleased with how my kart turned out, I sure dont want anything to ever happen to compromise that.

Since we first got my kart all dialed in, it has been so easy for me to drive without even thinking about what I am doing. Just focusing on the kart ahead or something I need to be on the watch out for.

Maybe this kart has spoiled me. I have driven Terrys kart and put some laps on Franks. Even tho there didnt seem to be that much difference, I was much more comfortable getting back in my kart after driving them.

There is one thing from what I have learned so far since we have been working on karts, is just a small amount of weight difference can drastically change how a kart handles. There is a bigger weight difference with me than Terry, so your kart will likely be more difficult for me to drive.

Terry said my kart feels a little bit loose to him, even when he runs a faster lap time than I can. But if he changed the kart to suit him, then I slow down when driving it. To me it would feel too hooked up.

What I am getting at is once you are comfortable driving a live axle kart, it will be tuned just for you, nobody else. You will end up being the fastest driver in your kart when it is dialed in correctly.

But another driver just about your size can do the same after a few laps getting accustomed to it. I remember reading those arguments about the need for minimum weights for karts to help make it more fair to everyone. Some think there should be a minimum driver weight for any given class.

To me this does not make that much sense at all. Weight does make a lot of difference of course.... When Steve first started talking, Chris had been very interested, making himself comfortable sitting down back up against the fence. His knees were bent up with arms crossed. But his head started nodding then plopped down.

Somewhere along the way Steve lost focus on the discussion and kept droning on about all of this other stuff. To Chris it had nothing to do with his lack of driving ability today. So he sort of slipped away into oblivion.

Hey Steve, I think you lost your audience. He looked at me then over to Chris who had dozed off and enjoying a late afternoon snooze. Yea, maybe I did get carried away there. But considering all of the hard work we have done today, I think Chris is now showing some of them smarts Frank is always talking about.

Open practice had begun. A dozen engines started almost at once. This brought Chris out of his dream state. Holy crap, what just happened? Chris went big eyed, looked around but not seeing anyone paying attention to him.

We had walked over to the fence and ready to watch the first batch of karts pull out on the track for practice. There was a familiar sweet smell in the air and a renewed interest in why we were here today.

Why dont we check over the karts one more time then make some final laps Steve? That sounds like a plan. Maybe by the time we are ready there wont be so many karts all bunched together out there. That looks like an accident just waiting to happen. Speaking of accidents, it looks like Frank just showed up.

I quickly spun around to zero in on a Volkswagen now pulling into the parking lot. A quick look across the pits, realizing they were all full up. The new arrivals were having to pit outside the fenced in area. I guess that will include Frank tonight. There was no room for him to squeeze in with us.
Chapter 144

When we first started out practicing today, the pits were still mostly empty. Since then, they have steadily been filling up. We already moved over several times to make room for more karts close to us. By now we were crammed in like sardines.

I thought being here this morning and selecting our choice pit spot early was be a good idea. But now think having to pit outside the fenced area was not such a bad thing.

We all suited up after taking turns checking over each others karts. Being out in the sun all day makes it easy to overlook things. Chris made mention about Steves chain being a little bit too loose, which it was. He didnt want to be the one blamed if driving Steves kart when it threw the chain.

So this time out, Steve gave Chris a long pep talk before proceeding on to the track. Almost to the point of Chris rolling his eyes. Steve just wanted to make sure his kart would return in the same condition as it left.

As like most times previously, I fired up the other two karts first then made sure they got out on the track before doing to same with mine. This has mostly eliminated problems in case another kart would not start.

Since Steve and Chris swapped karts and planned to run together, it wouldnt work out so well if I was already on the track and either of them had problems in the pits. If one of the karts did not fire right up, then take mine out instead while I would fix the problem.

Since the karts have all proven to be fast and reliable, todays primary focus was now getting Chris up to speed with his driving. Then hopefully if everything is still running come race time, we all get to race tonight.

It took a few laps before Chris and Steve managed to hook up. There was a lot of traffic out there on the track right now. With all of the classes running, You could see a big difference in speed too. It is very distracting when a dual engine kart comes buzzing by you right at the end of the long straight.

The guys running two engines are seriously fast in a straight line. One of them comes by an it feels like the pavement is being sucked up as they pass by. Then for a brief moment you are pulled forward in their draft. This is most noticeable right at the end of the long straight.

Unfortunately some of these guys slam on the brakes and cause us to loose all of the momentum we had going in to that turn. This gets very frustrating. I was surprised at first to find out that many of the faster drivers are not so much quicker in the turns than our slow karts.

We can maintain a lot of speed on the very tight sections, but have nothing on the straights. So we get passed every lap, just to get stuck behind that kart all the way until the long straight. Then they finally get enough distance for us not to catch back up to them.

The dual engine guys were complaining about the bushing engines slowing them down so much. They couldnt put down a good uninterrupted lap time with so many of us all over the track. So after an hour, the Race Director split up practice sessions.

There were enough juniors and some senior bushing class entrants to have a separate practice. So we had a ten minute session, then the other classes combined for a 20 minutes session.

This worked out decently enough. Now we had the opportunity to run against mostly the guys in our own class. We were also running against the faster junior class too, but they did not cause any trouble even with the speed differences.

By the time I made it on to the track, Steve and Chris were running together on the other side. With so much traffic coming and going, I was stuck there. So I took advantage of the moment and pushed my kart for all it was worth.

My focus was more on how many karts I could run down and make a clean pass than paying attention to what class they were entered in. The juniors running Macs in the faster class were easy to spot. The others not so much.

I was surprised the amount of juniors running Macs that were not so fast. Several of them were easy enough to pass without any problems. It was the long straight when they would usually pass my kart. Most of them had great speed in a straight line, but not so impressive on the rest of track.

We spent a lot of time swapping gears around to get the best overall speed. Not always focusing on fastest lap times. A super fast lap time by yourself is not the same as having to deal with traffic. You change that line you found fast and your lap times tanked. So one or two tooth more gear on rear axle slightly slowed down our times, but gaining some benefit if running in a lot of traffic.

This got me to thinking even more about fast lap times. When running in heavy traffic during practice today, I might still not have the right gear for the fastest possible lap with these other karts. So it might be hard to set up just perfect unless I was out on the track with only the guys in my class.

If we were running time trials out here, it would be smart to have a special engine just for that. Then you lay down a super fast lap time. Before the first heat you change engine and gear over to a better setup that will be more suitable in traffic.

There is another thing to consider when running time trials. If fastest kart always starts in front, then a gear change might not be such a good strategy. You stick with the fastest lap time gear and hope you dont get stuck behind another driver.

When we first started practicing, I kept dropping down on teeth from how Mr Cates had my kart originally set up. We ended up going four teeth lower. This gave us decent lap times and still remaining strong in traffic. One less tooth could make for a better lap time, but seriously hurt us in the race.

Another thing I still have not factored in is that tuned exhaust my kart had on it originally. It didnt sound nearly quiet like a muffler. But so far I have not seen other karts equipped with anything like it. This is just one other thing we need to test out here one day. But just getting this far and finally being able to race has taken so much time already.

With the extra modifications done just on my engine, I needed to add one tooth more than Chris and Steve to make it really fast. Adding one more tooth on either of their karts just makes the engine run harder. Not even helping so much in heavy traffic. So they have the best gear choice.

I enjoyed this practice session running mostly with the junior drivers in other classes. My kart is not slow at all, even compared to some of the faster classes. But not all of those drivers are fast either. Plenty of juniors passing me and run away. But so far they were only running McCullochs.

Knowing this took all the fun out of passing any of the Mac powered karts. These karts would not be running anywhere near the front of their class. So far I have not seen the two brothers running Westbends. No idea of how we compare against them yet.

After our session was over, Steve and Chris had already pulled in and sitting there talking. I had just pushed up to our pits seeing Chris with a smile on his face. Hey Terry, I felt a lot better out there this time. Forget what I said about not racing tonight. I was not thinking straight.

Chris went on describing what he had figured out after driving Steves kart. When Chris was in front he didnt get to copy how Steve was driving on any part of the track. He was also following other drivers with different lines that didnt work so well for him.

But on Steves kart he figured out the problem. Chris copied Steve exactly. Meaning when Chris was following, would turn exactly the same time as when Steve did. Except Chris was behind Steve, so actually turning in or braking too soon.

Chris also realized when out front on Steves kart, he could almost close his eyes and copy Steves actions in his mind. The kart responded like it should because he was steering or braking where Steve had been doing instead of where he was following behind.

Chris was now more excited about taking his kart out there and just making laps following different drivers. He would try not to copy the guy ahead exactly the same way he had been doing. Then try to find that happy spot he was comfortable with on his kart.

After the explanation from him, Chris stopped speaking for a moment while catching up on his breathing. Does any of this even make sense?

Sure Chris it makes a lot of sense in a very confusing sort of way. So why dont you get ready to go out. The other practice session will be over shortly. Get your kart filled up with gas and look everything over really well. The closer to race time it gets the more distracted we are going to be since helping with the races tonight.

The next session, both me and Steve decided to sit tight for now. Chris showed a lot more confidence. He jumped out there and made laps the full session. His driving at first was very jerky. Then after about the third lap, he settled down and was looking more like his old self running deeper into the turns and driving out of them a lot faster.

On the last practice session for the juniors and senior bushing, we all went out together for a few laps then calling it quits until race time. So far the engines have been very reliable and no major issues along the way. We keep checking over the karts every time after running. This eliminates any chance of overlooking something before it turns into a big problem.

After we finished the few laps out there together, the karts were checked over again, topped off with gas and covered up. We had work to do before the races started. Chris would remain on the grid helping Paul with lining up each class and preparing the next one to follow. Paul was the Race Director. But would also be overseeing Chris as acting grid steward tonight.

Me and Steve were relegated to acting corner marshals. We get swapped out with others who would also be racing tonight. We were relieved one race before ours. But soon as we come off the track, then had to run back out to a designated corner.

Tonight is going to be very busy for us. Trying to race while helping out will not leave any free time to do anything else. I hope there is no problems with the karts or could be a disaster for one or all of us.

One concession is we did get our entry fees and pit passes waved. But this also includes all of the work we did this morning. There are several corner marshals that are only filling in so the three of us can race tonight. They will get a voucher for a free soda during intermission or after the races are over.
Chapter 145

We called it quits early on during open practice. No reason to wear out our equipment more than it already is. There is still plenty of time left in case we overlooked something and need to make one last run on the track before the races start.

For now it was time to find shade and take a breather. A round of refreshments were in order, so off to the concession stands for something cool and energizing. Then we parked ourselves at a table for a while to take the load off our feet. The tables were far enough away that we could at least talk without almost having to yell at each other.

Steve was curious about the clutches. He was wondering if the engagement was a critical thing to get running faster. The reason I am asking about this Terry, there are several karts out running that you can tell how much lower the clutch hooks up. Is this something that could help us?

I noticed that on a few karts too Steve. But sure dont have a clue about how it might help or hurt us. I dont even know if there is a way to adjust what rpm the clutch locks up at. At least with the clutches we are running right now.

Well do you think we need to get the clutch low as it will engage or slip it up a lot higher? Cant we drill lightening holes in the shoes to make it slip higher? Or do you think we might slow down doing that?

Wow Steve, that does seem like it might work. Well if slipping the clutch higher makes the kart come out of the turns faster might work. I guess we could try it on one clutch. Hey I just figured something out.

I will try this on my clutch. Drill some holes in all four shoes. Are you ready for this? Drum roll please, Chris. Chris?

While me and Steve had been throwing around ideas about clutches, Chris must have disappeared off to somewhere. I mean he was sitting right next to me like I have gotten very accustomed to. After our first meet and greet at the hardware store and then to the drive-in for lunch, Chris has been almost my shadow when he is around.

It took me a moment to realize even tho he was sitting next to me this whole time, his mind was somewhere else completely. He was staring out to nowhere in particular with a blank expression on his face. I waved my hand in front of his face. Hey, Chris is anyone home?

Chris shook off his absence of mind then realized I was talking to him. Oh, sorry guys, I was just thinking.

Steve could not help himself. Oh my gosh Terry, hurry and call a doctor. Chris must have been out in the sun too long. For once in his life he is almost speechless. There must be something seriously wrong with him.

I had to admit it was different for Chris not to be in the middle of just about every conversation we have, but it slipped by without me noticing until just now. Knock it off Steve. Chris has busted his butt working today. Then having all that trouble adapting to how his kart handles. Everybody can use some quiet time once in a while.

So anything you want to talk about Chris? You dont seem all that cheerful right now.

Well no, uh yea, uh not really. I dont know. Just thinking back when I first got to ride a kart. I mean it wasnt that long ago. Maybe a year and a half now. It was right before my parents got their divorce. We were visiting my relatives in Shreveport.

The next door neighbor had just bought a kart. I dont know they may have bought it a long time before. Anyway, they invited all of us over to the park to take a spin. My cousins were there and some of their friends got to drive the kart.

It didnt seem like anything too difficult. When it came my turn, I hopped right down in seat and nailed the gas. Man was I in for a big surprise. That kart spun the tires and I almost lost control. Mom was taking pictures of us driving the kart. She was right there with the camera and didnt miss my first attempt either.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5381]
Chris first time

Mom also said she had never seen my eyes get so big when I gassed the engine. It shot forward and I nearly panicked before slamming on the brake pedal. I got out real quick like more out of not expecting what happened.

I passed on the next time for my turn. I was still sort of scared about how fast the kart would go. I didnt want to mess it up or embarrass myself in front of my family. Especially my cousins. I was the youngest that got to ride, so they would have given me no mercy if I screwed up.

I finally decided to give it one more try. After carefully watching everyone else, it didnt seem too difficult. Just dont give it so much gas at first. I did see one of my cousins do the same thing, but managed to back off and still drove it around. If he could then I should be able to do the same.

After getting over that first shock, I eased into the gas this time. It sure didnt take much to break the tires loose. OK it was only one tire, now that I think about it. So after a few rounds in the park, I sped up some more. I was really surprised how small the park seemed when going that fast. Well it felt really fast at the time.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5382]
Chris mom

My mom actually took it around for some laps. She didnt do anything crazy. Just eased on the gas and drove it like a car. This really got to me since I was so scared at first. But my last turn, I felt a lot more in control. Once I got used to how it steered and accelerated, then was so much fun I didnt want to stop. But the sun was going down and we had burgers cooking on the grill in the park.

Since then, all I talked about was driving the kart. Then maybe one day having one of my own. My dream was shattered when my parents decided to divorce. When they told me this, the chances of ever getting a kart of my own just went down to zero. After that mess, I spent a lot of time, mostly the weekends with my gran-gran. She kept tabs on me back then, since I was younger after mom had to started working.

I usually went to church with her on Sunday. I was old enough by then to go to big church, instead of what amounted to baby sitting for the younger kids. It was boring and I usually fell asleep. But some of the things the preacher talked about are still in the back of my head.

I figure that eventually it will surface when I realize what some of that stuff means. For now, deep sixed and not much chance to deploy anytime soon. I do remember gran-gran trying to explain something to me one time that eventually made me understand better.

There was something I wanted, like more than anything and she had no intentions of buying it for me. Then explained the reason. Chris went into detail and told us just like he was talking to her right then.

Chris, do you remember a few years ago when you didnt get that special toy for Christmas? Yes gran-gran I remember. It was just what I was expecting to get. All I thought about is finding it under the tree. But what I wanted was not there.

Yes Chris, you moped around for a few weeks like a spoiled little child. But you were old enough not to be acting that way anymore. You deserved a good whooping for how you were behaving.

But I really wanted that one thing for Christmas and was almost positive sure it would be there.

Well later on, closer to your birthday, I asked your mom what you might want as a present. Actually I had planned on getting that very toy for you. But your mom said that you no longer had any interest in it now. What would you have done if I had bought that for your present instead of the new bicycle you got?

Wow gran-gran, I did end up loosing interest shortly after Christmas. Then realizing how much of a waste it would have been. I had wanted it so bad, then later realizing that toy was not so much a big deal.

I sure am glad you gave me the new bicycle instead. Thinking about getting a toy would be a waste for you to buy since I would not enjoyed it at all. But I am starting to figure things out. You went to a lot of trouble planning for my birthday. Thank you.

But to see that I was not excited about what you got would have been very disappointing for you. Wow, gran-gran, that sure makes me look selfish. Then only thinking about myself, instead of everyone else that went to the trouble like you and mom always do for me.

Chris just stared into space for the next few moments. Almost like living in the Twilight Zone. You are there one moment then yanked back to the past without any warning.

Wow, I have done a lot of growing up in the last couple of years. Do I act all that spoiled around you guys?

Me and Steve could not pass this up. In unison we both looked at Chris and said YES, you do. Chris got wide eyed and was totally caught off guard just then. I didnt know how he would take that and not wanting to find out.

But in a good way Chris, really. Not so much you cant be steered in the right direction. If you were really spoiled that bad, we would not be spending all this time with you. Your good qualities far outweigh the slight bit of spoiled you still have not outgrown yet.

So changing the subject, you were talking about the first time to drive a kart. What happened next?

Chris showed an expression I could not decipher. He looked to be studying the current situation, but not wanting to dig deeper to find out anything else about himself right now.

Oh yea, well it was Christmas that my dad had dropped by with the kart. He didnt stay long. I could tell there was some friction between him and mom. He told me he was sorry for how things turned out for everyone. But trying to make the best of it. Merry Christmas Chris. I know the kart is not brand new, but I thought you might still get some enjoyment out of driving it.

I could not help but notice that Chris was trying not to cry. His eyes were red and watered up. It looked like a single tear was running down his left cheek. But being so hot today, could have just been a bead of sweat. 

I had a lot of fun that day when we visited the relatives. Since then not so much. Not until I started racing out here. Then meeting up with you guys really rocked. I had so much fun just driving the kart around the neighborhood at first. But I was all alone. Nobody to really enjoy it with.

I mean there were some guys in the neighborhood that like to take a spin when I had it out. But were not really my friends. They were a lot older too. We didnt like hang out or anything.

If Fish had not offered to bring me out here to the track, I would have probably run my kart into the ground a long time ago. It wasnt going to get fixed by me if something broke. I sure didnt know anyone else that could work on it.

I was lucky since the engine never had any major problems. Is something happened, I checked it over and found the trouble. Usually something very simple. But I didnt know anything about the engine or working on the kart.

My grandmother said mom is very intelligent and I obviously took after her. When Chris told us this, he stopped while staring right at Steve and waited for a moment.

Gee Steve, I opened the door with that and you missed completely. What gives?

Gee Chris, I am not going to insult your intelligence. You might be completely dumb with just about everything, but I never said your were stupid. I sure can relate to that myself. Now put me in a woodshop, and I am totally at home with just about all of the tools and what they are good for.

Now once your head gets too big and you think you know everything, I will chop you down like George Washingtons cherry tree. So long as you dont get too cocky, I can deal with it. Besides its Terrys job to be cocky. One of us has to be. And I can only deal with one jerk at a time.

Attached Files
.jpg   Chris first time ride.jpg (Size: 393.6 KB / Downloads: 30)
.jpg   Chris mom riding with family.jpg (Size: 486.05 KB / Downloads: 27)
Chapter 146

After practice was over we were feeling good about tonight. In the pits checking everything over on the karts we were having to speak loudly. With engines around us running it was hard to hear, but I really wanted to let Steve and Chris know what we need to focus on during the first two heat races.

OK guys, so far our karts are set up good as we can get them. We dont have much of a chance against the Westbends, but should still have a fun race anyway. All during practice I worked everything out based on the 8 lap heat races. The engines are burning a lot more gas now but we should have enough to make the laps. So far the karts are handling and tires look good. Hopefully we do not have any problems.

After those 8 laps, there is no guarantee. I dont know what happens after that. If engines get too hot, well that isnt good. Or even worse. I dont need to tell you what that means. If we get lucky, make it thru all three 8 lap heats and go home without tearing too much stuff up tonight.

This whole afternoon we kept with the 8 lap practice sessions to set up the karts. So that is where we are tonight. Just dont get stupid out there and push your engine too hard too fast. Things will be a little bit different bunched together and running against all of the other guys in our class. But I dont think we have much to worry about.

Once the laps are run, try to shut it down soon as possible. We only brought one extra engine, and I dont want to use it unless completely necessary. Then only for the third heat race if one of us does need it. If we take it easy out there before and after the race, then I dont expect to have problems.

If someone does break, we wont have any time to run the engine in before the last heat, so all bets are off. What I am saying is just take it easy and we should be able to finish the night without tearing anything up. Well that is the plan, but dont have much control of that after the flag drops. The rest is up to you guys.

Me Steve and Chris, aka "Topher" as he is known by everyone out here at the track, are sitting on the tires of our karts waiting for tonights program to start. In the pits, we are discussing strategy. I was hoping what I said would keep Steve and Chris from pushing too hard during the first two heat races. All the marbles are on the third one. But securing a good starting position didnt hurt either.

At the time I didnt realize that some other people around us also heard our little discussion. 

Later at the drivers meeting I was not expecting what I heard really happened. But how could I plan for the unexpected? My reason for the little pep talk in the pits was to stay focused so we could have a good race. Also to pass the time so I didnt get all nervous. But didnt really think it would turn into something like this. The Westbend guys were pitted very close to us this evening. Only a few places over.

There are a lot of people here tonight racing, so pit space was at a premium and very limited. We had to pit where there was a space. Fortunately since working this morning we got the pick of pit spots. Unfortunately it is the same spot everyone else wants also.

The dad, well it is their grandfather, and usually the flagman, was wrenching on the two brothers karts. Chris thought this was odd, since they are normally taking it easy when racing out here. But tonight the dad seemed to be more focused on making the best out of their equipment.

The big surprise came when the race director told us of some changes for tonight at the drivers meeting. At the discretion of the board members, the final heat race would be extended to 12 full laps. Since there was such a good turnout tonight we just wanted to make it a more exciting race for everyone. The race director said this had been done in the past just to change things up from time to time.

He then turned the microphone over to Paul Fisher who was announcer and grid steward tonight. Paul went thru the usual spill about how the races are run and what the pit and corner worker flags are for. Then the microphone was passed once again.

Next up the flagman took time to explain the main flags and the importance of following them explicitly. After this meeting was finished they called for all of the new racers for a private meeting.

Originally we had still been considered newbies. Chris was a seasoned driver since he has been racing most of the summer before we ever showed up. Paul had just vouched for me and Steve. He was out here watching us today during our practice and informed the other board members we were more than qualified as drivers now to race without further restrictions.

There was only one person against us loosing out rookie status. It was the flagman. He was immediately over ruled by the rest of the board members after taking a vote on the complete list of the other new racers that met the requirements or restrictions set forth by the club. 

The flagman mentioned how poorly our driving skills were at the first race. He also stated there were rules for a reason and should be adhered to. This is when Paul spoke up and reminded everyone how the flagman always adjusted the rules at his discretion anytime he felt the need to do so.

Just like how he insisted tonights races would have extended laps in the final heat race. When the track was first built, the final heat race was usually longer, but had been changed to this current format shortly after. Since then, until tonight the races had all been only eight laps.

Paul also reminded the other board members how convenient that every time one of the flagmans kids(grandsons) got taken out of a heat race, it was always restarted. If there was any altercation on the track involving his kids, the other driver was always black flagged.

This was a private meeting outside just away from the pits. The flagman just stormed off as he was staring down Paul when leaving. Back in the pits, he went to work on his kids karts again. This is the first night I have seen him doing anything more than the usual gassing up between heat races.

FIRST HEAT RACE

On the start of our first heat race, Chris managed to jump right in the lead. Unfortunately he was on the outside right at the end of the longest straightaway. This is not a good place to be on that first lap. Especially going into that tight turn at the end of the straightaway.

The brothers had first row tonight which was not unusual. There had been some complaining about this. So a few times they had been inline with each other, instead of side by side. With everyone lined up the outside pole driver was looking over nodding to his brother. This happened to be when the green flag was waved. He missed the start only by a fraction, but Chris had anticipated for any opportunity or opening that showed itself.

Chris had been on the third row outside as his position drawn when registering. He was focused on the flagmans hand motions. After racing out here during the summer, he figured out when the flagman was going to drop the flag. The giveaway is when the front karts are lined up, he would point the rolled flag at them. Chris had come to the conclusion this was to let his two drivers know the flag was about to drop.

Chris had held back about a kart length on this lap, waiting to see if the flag would drop. When the flagman pointed the rolled flag at his drivers, Chris planted the gas down and launched on the start. He went high to miss slamming in to the back of the unknown kart in second row ahead of him. Unfortunately he didnt didnt get a good enough jump to pull ahead very far of the front row Westbend driver.

Both the Westbend brothers were side by side together leaving no room for Chris to pull back in, next to, or even behind. He was not far enough in front to cut them off and hold the lead. The only thing Chris could do was bail out and drive straight off the track. So he was out of the race no sooner than it started. That was the end of his first heat.

Man, that sure sux for him. I started a few rows back and just watched what happened. Since I was surrounded by unknowns, decided to play safe. I was boxed in so there was no hope of making a move of my own just yet. This got me to thinking back to our first race out here.

We had tried to work up a strategy that night, if it panned out, we would end up in a good position to make some early passes right at the start. But Steve decided he just wanted to feel things out and try to pass as many karts possible during the eight laps. Being newbies we had to start dead last every heat race anyway. He figured more laps was more fun than possibly getting a good start then knocked off the track even before the first turn.

So for our big return trip out here, for a split second, that is what was going thru my head. What brought me out of a daze, is realizing the other kart right behind Chris was Steve. He followed Chris right off the straightaway. A kart was right on his bumper, but with all of the smoke, I didnt realize who it was yet. I realized Chris had no where else to go  unless he was willing to stuff his nose in there. This would have likely caused a major pile up in the first turn.

Chris is usually a smart driver but not always predictable. Maybe more impulsive than anything else. He does not get too risky taking unnecessary chances or cause wrecks on purpose. But if there is a opening, he will put a nose in there and hold his line. With all of the trouble he had this afternoon adjusting to his upgraded kart, I didnt expect him to take this of a big gamble.

I figured either Steve also realized a little too late and had no where to go or maybe just so focused on sticking with Chris. I guess he did not realize right then Chris just took himself out of the race intentionally. Steve has been like a statue all day while practicing. Just making consistent laps. One right after another. So I thought it was odd for him to make a move like this. Especially on the start of the first heat race.

With all of the work done to our karts and engines, I had no problem holding my own with the Westbend brothers now. Even tho my engine is not as strong running as theirs, it is easy to hang with them. Using my head instead of a heavy foot, just wait until they screw up, then take advantage of the opening and stick my nose in making for a clean pass.

During practice, I managed to pull out of the pits behind one of them and get a feel for how my engine is performing. Since all three of us are running close to the same, what worked on my kart worked for Steve and Chris. With exception to the gear change on mine.

I also intentionally fell back a few times to find out if that distance could be closed back up. But making sure I did this on a different turn and not every lap. I was concerned the brothers dad(grandfather) might be timing one of us tonight. I was running a terrible lap time, while checking to find out how well I could run them down on different parts of the track.

At our first race, the brothers had been killing us at the end of the longest straight. But the rest of the track not so much of a problem. I would push really hard to make up time when they pulled ahead, then move inline to stay close as possible until the next turn. But now my engine was stronger and doing better on top speed. It might even be a closer race than I was expecting.

I felt comfortable any one of our karts could run with these guys on the tighter part during the race. Then maybe stuff our nose in on the shorter front straight. If we didnt get taken out by one of them trying to cut us off, it would be a drag race to the flagman when pulling on to the long straight.

Neither one of them should be able to get back around me so long as I dont make any mistakes. That is assuming I can keep the lead on the long straight into the next turn. My kart was handling very well and carries good speed coming out of the tight turn onto the long straight.

Both the brothers have some trouble negotiating this one turn for some reason. But soon as they straighten up, their karts are fast. They would be much faster if not always trying to fight for position between themselves. But because of this, it helps us out a bunch. I should pay more attention in this one turn during the race and watch to figure out what the deal is. They are having trouble carrying speed on the exit.

If I can make the pass on them here, then just keep driving a very defensive line. Changing my line to hold position does slow down the lap times a lot. But I dont care if the two Westbends are unable to get around my kart short of taking me out intentionally.

The first heat was mostly uneventful. I didnt do much but follow the Westbends. It would be useless to fight for position during either of the first two heats. My starting position would not benefit, unless I was able to move to the front row. I was willing to wait it out since the last heat was for the win, not just starting position for the final heat.

With Steve and Chris already out, it was easy enough to move thru the slower traffic and finish a distant third. The brothers mostly ran away with it in this heat. They had no one beating on their rear bumpers to cause them to slow down. Except for beating on each other.

There was one kid in the class that I was coming up behind. He was not slow like a lot of the others that dont race every week. But his kart was weaving side to side approaching every turn. I watched from a short distance behind for a lap so not to get taken out by him. This guy was not predictable at all. Watching him drive made me think about Franks unique driving style. The driver would brake early and right back on the gas too soon. Then let off fighting the kart to negotiate the turn.

There were several openings to make a pass, but his kart seemed like it got really wide when I approached to go around. Finally he went wide enough that left a big hole for me to pass without any problem. By this time, the Westbend brothers had gained some distance on me. I just layed back and took it easy for the remainder of the race. Even if I could run them down and close up the distance, it would serve no purpose.

When the first heat race was over, I pulled off and coasted up behind the other karts. When the checkered flag came out we were already moving thru lap traffic. So there was several of the lapped karts behind them and me when I took the checked flag. They were just stepping out of their karts when I stopped. After getting out of my kart, I looked behind to see who was driving the one kart that was so much trouble to pass. Man, was I in for a surprise.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5394]

It was not until I saw him remove his helmet did I realize....it was a girl driving. Holy cow a girl. No sooner do I see who is in the kart, Chris hands me the corner marshal flag and points to a corner out on the track. Hey Terry, you need to go. I will push your kart back to the pits. Now hurry up and get out there right now. Steve was already half way across the track on the way to his assigned corner tonight.

Attached Files
.jpg   Girl.jpg (Size: 175.81 KB / Downloads: 24)
Chapter 147

I had made it almost half way across the track before realizing this would be a good opportunity to take some pics of Frank driving tonight. Really perfect to snap some good closeups of the race from this turn I was working. Not necessarily wasting them on just Frank racing tonight.

Since Frank had supplied all of those film rolls, I was sort of obligated to get some pics anyway. Tonight being stuck out here working the corner, I might as well take advantage of the time and click a few shots of the races going on.

Frank was so sure of himself about making it on the cover of one of the kart magazines. But he could not be the one driving so expertly and skillfully on the track and take that one perfect shot with a camera at the same time.

Chris was supposed to be in charge of taking pictures tonight. That was the deal. He wanted to get shots of all the different karts out here running. But when I mentioned about Frank and his action pictures, Chris had mostly avoided the camera since he took those first pics earlier this afternoon. He is very freaked out around Frank, and so far I have not figured out why. When we rode over to Franks house, Chris was a total wreck that day. Since then he has made a point to stay far away from him as humanly possible. All I get from Chris is he does not like him and keeps his distance for some reason.

I ran back to the pits and picked up my camera. Then grabbed an extra roll of film just in case. The karts in this next heat race were already bunching up making a final pace lap before the green flag dropped. I put the move on just barely timing it out to my assigned corner before the flag was waved and race was underway. The flagman did seem to give me a major stare down right before he started this next race.

I dont know why some people take this racing thing so seriously. I mean really most of my seriousness has been focused on getting the three of our karts competitive. Out here at the track, some people think this is racing the Indy 500. It is only a weekend race with local competition. I would hate to see how these same people act at a regional race or even a national one. That could get scary.

Just all of us having the opportunity to race out here and having fun doing it is more than I can ask for. Even when I get seriously beat, the fun of driving and running against other racers is so over the top. Maybe I dont have that edge real racers supposedly have. That special drive to push yourself for all you can be. If someone is faster and can hold their line, I am not going to bash into them or try bumping them out of the way just for a win. That is not winning to me.

But that is exactly what some guys are doing out here tonight. They think winning at any price is a real win. Not winning because you worked all day to get your kart just fast as possible. Dont forget having some skills in driving. That is a major plus to keep your times consistent with every lap.

I overheard some driver claiming he was running a certain fast lap time, and should beat everyone in his class. But that was only one lap he did so well. Well a fast lap time anyway. But when he is in traffic, that lap time tanks. He is no faster than the guys running mid pack. One fast lap time alone does no good if the other ones are a lot slower. Then getting stuck and unable to drive thru traffic sure isnt going to fair so well either. So much for staying out front with only putting down a single fast lap. Now a half dozen more and maybe...

Most of the races were uneventful. That was not the case for when Frank made his first debut. He was involved in some altercation on every lap. Sometimes it was only by himself. This is one time I can truly say that Frank is an accident just waiting to happen. He is happening in real time all the time. Accidents that is. You dont know exactly when or where, but you know it will.

Frank managed to convince the board members that he had been racing for the last two years up in Ohio. At the Dart Speedway, none the less. He claimed to have been running since the track officially opened. He threw around Mickey Rupps name like it was a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card in Monopoly. Too many references to ole "Mic" as Frank called him, like that was supposed to mean something.

I guess he sounded convincing enough, since they waved his newbie status so he didnt have to start every race in the back for his first three weekends here. But from what I saw, the board may make some changes before the night is over.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5405]
Franks class starting.

I didnt see where Frank had lined up for his first heat race. But there was plenty of entries in his class. By the time I saw Frank make his way on to the track, most of the other karts were already lined up waiting for the green flag.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5404]
Franks class first lap

There was a big class and they were soon scattered all the way around the track in no time. I finally spotted Frank playing catch up to the back of the pack. But loosing ground all the way around in every turn. Maybe they should have waited for him to play catch up so he would be there holding his own with them. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5406]
Frank lapped by leaders.

Frank did not catch up to the rest of the pack. They were bunched up and had already made an extra lap waiting for him. The flagman made it clear it was the drivers responsibility to keep up with the pack. Otherwise if everyone else is lined up the race would start. So it was only a few laps into his first heat race he was getting passed by the leaders.

It seemed when Frank was getting passed, someone lit a torch under his butt. He went into hyperdrive. The race was on. He was running with the leaders now and not backing down. They had to earn the right to pass him. Even tho he was also a lap down. Normally you would move out of the way and let these guys pass. But Frank decided they would have to work for the right or not going to happen. Not on his watch tonight.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5407]
Frank making a pass

Somewhere in mid pack as the lead karts were making a pass on Frank, he decided to mover back over into the groove. Except someone else was already next to him attempting what was almost a clean pass. Right up until Frank made contact with the other kart. Maybe Frank should have used his turn signal or rear view mirror. Or better yet at least looked over next to him before turning in on the kart.

I believe it is known that two things can not occupy the same space at the same time. I do think Frank has proven that to be true. The picture I have sure does support that hypothesis fairly well. This would lead to some interesting conversation after getting these pictures developed. Just hearing Franks side of the story should be more than entertaining, even if nothing more than pure fiction. But not in his mind.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5408]
Frank being Frank

I snapped this one pic just a split second too late. Frank shot off the track right out of view of the camera lens. I had to wave the flag thru this turn I was working and didnt get the camera back up in time to watch Frank nail this guy from behind. It is like Frank closed his eyes or was getting payback for something. But Frank had been mostly running by himself after the lead pack had passed him by.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5409]
Frank stunts

I will probably get chewed out for not paying attention to my turn this one lap. But it sure looked like something was going to happen. Frank had been bumping this one guy then was spun off the track. For some reason Frank never slowed down and drove right over the top of the other guys kart. This is a true Kodak moment. Maybe this is THE picture that will make the cover of that one kart magazine, like Frank was talking about. You throw away over a hundred pictures for that one perfect shot that stands out above the rest. I think Frank nailed it with this one. Like he just did to the other kart.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5410]
Frank too many laps

The checkered flag had been dropped and this heat race was over. But Frank went ahead and took an extra lap. The other class was already out there lining up and Frank still on the gas racing for his last and final lap. You gotta wonder what is going on inside of his head out there on the track. Or what is not going on inside of his head. Maybe some shorted out brain cells.

Frank had been given the checkered flag on this lap and the other driver was not understanding what it was all about. Since this next heat race had not started yet. The guy did not know Frank was still racing under the green from the previous class. Frank was making sure he made his 8 laps, you know for the finish points.

There was a couple more classes to run when I got relieved from working this turn. It would give me a little bit of free time to check over the karts before our next race. I ran back to the pits and topped off the gas tanks, checked the chain, and lubed it very well. Then checked the tire pressures too.

Chris would not get released from grid duty until we were lining up for our next heat. I had to make sure his kart was ready when we pushed up to the grid. Then have his gear and kart lined up on pre-grid. It was hectic but we managed to have everything ready to go. Just no free time in between the races to do anything else. Now it was time for our second heat race for the night.

Attached Files
.jpg   Franks class first lap.jpg (Size: 100.52 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Franks class starting.jpg (Size: 137.61 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Frank lapped by leaders.jpg (Size: 186.75 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Frank making a pass.jpg (Size: 228.16 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Frank being Frank.jpg (Size: 131.07 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Frank stunts.jpg (Size: 105.26 KB / Downloads: 15)
.jpg   Framk too many laps.jpg (Size: 131.46 KB / Downloads: 14)