Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
65 Rupp Grand Prix
Have a 65 GP that I am restoring and would like to know what the rivet spacing was on the floor pan. It had been re -riveted at some point but from what I can tell the spacing looks like it should have been approx. 3 inches but some spacing was like 1.5 inches.  Does anyone have any input on this? It is an aluminum pan and will be replaced with aluminum. Don't have any pics but will soon 
Thanks,  Dave
is the pan on tabs or a thin piece of sheet metal running length of the rails?
as i recall rupps were tabbed when the floor pan was aluminum. 
typically those holes are about middle of tab but wasn't like a robot was building these things so they could be anywhere.
if it's thin strip of sheet metal was probably done post factory by a racer.
either way don't worry about factory spacing just redo it in a way you find pleasing to look at when done.
be sure to use steel rivits aluminum ones will fail when you run the kart for any amount of track time.
hope his helps.
d Cool
Dave L.
(09-28-2019, 01:11 PM)David Luciani Wrote: is the pan on tabs or a thin piece of sheet metal running length of the rails?
as i recall rupps were tabbed when the floor pan was aluminum. 
typically those holes are about middle of tab but wasn't like a robot was building these things so they could be anywhere.
if it's thin strip of sheet metal was probably done post factory by a racer.
either way don't worry about factory spacing just redo it in a way you find pleasing to look at when done.
be sure to use steel rivits aluminum ones will fail when you run the kart for any amount of track time.
hope his helps.
d Cool
The aluminum pan was riveted directly to the frame but was re riveted at one time in a few places. I saw no tabs and so far I have seen nothing that shows any use of tabs but being 55 yrs old who knows what was done to it
We will probably rivet it back to the way I got it unless someone thinks I should do other

Thanks
Dave A
Music 
The Grand Prix (1963 single piece frame and 1964 -1965 two-piece frame) were riveted in as a single piece pan: floor, seat bottom and seat back. No tabs were used in the Grand Prix as OEM from Rupp.

Spacing varies depending on location. Front axle, side frame rails, jewel pad steel and seat back have their unique spacing. 

I have that information, but will have to post that later. 

You are not alone in trying to understand the spacing patterns. I had hope to capture the correct spacing pattern at the 2019 REARs TBO. Was disappointed seeing this on this 1963 Grand Prix...

Attached Files
.jpeg   D1D9443F-D720-4D15-BD3D-B0344FC0196F.jpeg (Size: 1.96 MB / Downloads: 28)
If the original pan were riveted to the rails, are the original holes not there for measuring? That pan in the pic certainly looks to be a replacement. It doesn't have straight edges. It's screwed, not riveted, and there are far too many screws for practicality. That many holes has to weaken the tubing. Also, screwed or riveted to the bottom of the rail is poor design. far better to lay on top of a welded-on steel strip or tabs. TJ
I have a restored 63 and it is riveted at 1 1/2 " on center. An unrestored 64 GP is also 1 1/2" on center. Rupp built lots of these things and prolly was more concerned with get em out the door than design LOL. Virg Love has about as many Rupps as were built. Maybe he will chime in.
You know me, Chris! As a retired Mech. Designer, I think about these things... TJ
(09-29-2019, 09:06 AM)Scott Elkes Wrote: The Grand Prix (1963 single piece frame and 1964 -1965 two-piece frame) were riveted in as a single piece pan: floor, seat bottom and seat back. No tabs were used in the Grand Prix as OEM from Rupp.

Spacing varies depending on location. Front axle, side frame rails, jewel pad steel and seat back have their unique spacing. 

You are not alone in trying to understand the spacing patterns. I had hope to capture the correct spacing pattern at the 2019 REARs TBO. Was disappointed seeing this on this 1963 Grand Prix...

(09-29-2019, 05:35 PM)David Amerighi Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 09:06 AM)Scott Elkes Wrote: The Grand Prix (1963 single piece frame and 1964 -1965 two-piece frame) were riveted in as a single piece pan: floor, seat bottom and seat back. No tabs were used in the Grand Prix as OEM from Rupp.

If you find those measurements Scott I would highly appreciate it
Dave
(09-29-2019, 05:28 PM)ted johnson Wrote: You know me, Chris! As a retired Mech. Designer, I think about these things... TJ

Ted I agree , tabs are a better design. If this 65 kart  he is asking about is a driver tabs would better . Weld shut most of the holes being careful not to heat twist the frame. Put the tabs on and drive it !