Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTB original early BUG mechanical disc caliper
I am still looking for an early "Bug" mechanical brake caliper....used around the 1959-60 era (see photo)....might consider a Palmini juice type, if in decent shape (and I could afford it)....willing to trade or buy.....Thanks.

Attached Files
.png   Bug Mechan Brake.png (Size: 35.18 KB / Downloads: 31)
frank i have a couple of juice set up.
i'd make one available to you.
mike everin has them and was gonna make them 100%.
not sure where he's at with that project i've been pretty distracted this year.
if you're interested contact me via pm and i'll see what i can do for you.
love trades.
d Cool
Dave L.
Frank, remember, if you're going for period correct, the Palmini juice brake was around only through the '60 model year. In '61 the switch to the Trophy mechanical brake was made, and they were used from the beginning of the '61 year. I sold a lot of Bugs back then. Even my VERY early '61 Wasp had the mechanical brake. Ted
Thanks Ted....I just finished a 1960 "Cool Cart" and installed the Palmini brake system, the early mechanical type would not fit the frame without the adapter piece installed on the frame (factory).....mine had the flat plate, all fits good with the Palmini.....now I have a second one to finish!.....I'd send you a photo, but don't see a way to on this "reply".......Frank

(07-24-2019, 08:11 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Frank, remember, if you're going for period correct, the Palmini juice brake was around only through the '60 model year. In '61 the switch to the Trophy mechanical brake was made, and they were used from the beginning of the '61 year. I sold a lot of Bugs back then. Even my VERY early '61 Wasp had the mechanical brake. Ted

Do you have a clear photo of the trophy brake?.... I seem to be getting a lot of mixed opinions of what a "Trophy" brake is.....The early mechanical Bug brake as I know it has three fins and rests on a block welded to the frame.

Attached Files
.png   Bug Mechan Brake.png (Size: 35.18 KB / Downloads: 7)
Frank, originally, the Trophy brake attached to the frame with a cast aluminum spacer/bracket to adapt it to the old Palmini mounting holes. I tried to attach a pic, but I'm getting an error message. Bug had many complaints of the aluminum bracket breaking, and later went to the "L" shaped welded steel mount bracket. Hope this helps!
If you PM me with your email address, I will email you the pic of Charlie Craibe's Scorpion back in '62 or '63. Ted