Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where there any rear engine karts with Italian engines?
(02-15-2019, 12:11 PM)Tom Smith Wrote: [attachment=3882        

https://vkakarting.com/members/vka-documents/

2019 VKA guidelines Rear engine karts > American engines only.  In other words Duffy Livingstone's Go Kart 800 / Konig isn't allowed at a VKA event.

Hey Tom, you bring Duffy's Konig or the front engine Puch, neither are fan cooled American engines, we'll let it run all you want.
(02-16-2019, 11:28 AM)Chris Marchand Wrote: In 1964 we ran enduros at Mid Ohio. The Ruttmans showed up with a Parilla on a rear kart. That thing was  a rocket and went by the little 100 cc Macs  like we were turtles.  2 or 3 laps later it was sitting on the side of the track locked up due to not enough cooling. Later on I remember some guys experimenting with trying to elevate the mounting height so it would get more air, which seemed to work till they then threw chains due to the much longer chain they had to run.Then the sidewinders came out in 69 or so I think and that solved the cooling probs with the Foreign engines and also obsoleted most of the rear karts.

Chris...

Richard Peck of Hornet fame came out in late 66 early 67 with the Hornet SS...I believe one of the first sidewinders made in the USA......today refereed to as a straight axle sidewinder, same chassis as a rear, but with the motor mounted on the side

gw
I was basically outta karting after the summer of 66 . I missed the boat on the sidewinder stuff / foreign engines because cars and girls suddenly were more interesting than karting ! ha ha ha.
Fifty years later I stumbled on the Vintage events and wow, they had these things with the engines under your elbow.Plus they were on some kinda sticky tires and were real damn fast !!!!!
something Gary said should be emphasised in this thread.
 VKA and VKCA have rules for competing that doesn't always mean you can't bring a particular kart to the track. 

i can't think of any venue that doesn't allow displaying oddballs that aren't allowed to run that won't at least allow the kart to be displayed.

that kart will even be allowed practice time and a place somewhere on a grid , more often than not , if the kart is within the year requirements and is built era correct . 
it won't be scored but the owner gets the chance to run his kart on a real track which for many is enough.

if anyone going to an event has any doubt just contact the promoter. 
ultimately the promoter can allow or disallow any kart as it's their show and more importantly their risk and insurance.
enough said
d Cool
Dave L.
(02-18-2019, 10:46 AM)Chris Marchand Wrote: I was basically outta karting after the summer of 66 . I missed the boat on the sidewinder stuff / foreign engines because cars and girls suddenly were more interesting than karting ! ha ha ha.
Fifty years later I stumbled on the Vintage events and wow,  they had these things with the engines under your elbow.Plus they were on some kinda sticky tires and were real damn fast !!!!!

actually sticky tires never cam about till mid to late 70s.....we ran the same tires on SASW as rear karts....

and ,,the same thing happened to me in 64-  wine woman and wheels was way more important....then got back into it about 69-70....

gw