Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where there any rear engine karts with Italian engines?
Gary Emmick 1965, Hovey Kart 100cc BM's.

.png   Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 6.55.35 PM.png (Size: 1.22 MB / Downloads: 23)
So, it sounds like mounting a free air engine on the rear of a kart, while it may capture a legitimate snapshot of a brief moment in karting's evolution, might not be a very practical idea.  That sheds some light on this variant:

.jpg   Snip20170822_26.jpg (Size: 50.53 KB / Downloads: 23)

.jpeg   1D28CA9D-18F5-4205-9E74-25F92587F698.jpeg (Size: 745.84 KB / Downloads: 31) L

Attached is a photo my Dart Grand “A” with a BA13.
I raced it back in 65 and have been taking it to many of our Vintage events here in the N.E.

In the N.E. Series a kart with this kind of setup (period correct 100cc Foreign) will be running handicapped in the 8.2 Rear Class.
The Parilla BA13 was running here in the US in 1964......
(02-16-2019, 05:44 PM)Al Postiglione Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 02:37 PM)Kurt Bogerman Wrote: So, it sounds like mounting a free air engine on the rear of a kart, while it may capture a legitimate snapshot of a brief moment in karting's evolution, might not be a very practical idea.  That sheds some light on this variant:

Kurt, I've been running this setup for years. The engine is mounted out to the side and manages to catch plenty of air.
See my post above for my photo.

(02-16-2019, 09:15 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 03:56 PM)Paul Hail Wrote: Thanks, I haven’t  seen any pictures of rear engine karts with foreign engines and wasn’t sure of the timeline of sidewinders hitting the market. I thought it was mid 70’s when the sidewinders and out, didn’t realize it was a decade earlier.

Paul..just an FYI,,,the foreign motors came to the USA app late 66, some installed these motors on rear karts only to find out 2 things,,  they had considerably more power than fan cooled motors . and didn't last long because they are free air motors..meaning they are cooled by air moving over them...when mounted on a rear kart they didn't get much air( blocked by the driver)..this lasted app 1.5 ,2 years,,,then the sidewinders started coming...

there have been rear mounted foreign motors at VKA, VKCA events but the VKA decided to accommodate the masses vs 1 or 2 guys that built that rear foreign combination....they would still be welcome, but only as an exhibition type kart,,,again, the reason being they make considerably more hp than a fan cooled motor..(couple years ago a famous engine builder put this combo together and put a 130 pound professional driver on it and dominated...destroyed the 6.1 rear class...thats not what the VKA is about)...

Gary

yes I agree,,but they came inmass in 65--66

gw

no disrespect,,,but the speeds you drive, you couldn't hurt it...LOL
gw
Al, I don't remember seeing the kart you posted. I'll have to pay more attention!
Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: 

gw

What can I say to that Gary? 
You always have such a way with words.

What class are you thinking about running when you come out to the N.E.?

Al is competitive, especially when he brings out the dual 580-5 ports!
Thanks everyone for their input.  It really covers the time periods of chassis development partly driven by engine development.
(02-16-2019, 07:57 PM)Al Postiglione Wrote: Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: 

gw

What can I say to that Gary? 
You always have such a way with words.

What class are you thinking about running when you come out to the N.E.?

well I have two ready to go...both Hornets one with a 101 on it and one with twin 92s,,,,,

BTW I was jusy in Tully NY yesterday...I guess its one exit away from LaFayette

gw