Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd bearing support
Will a kt100 3rd bearing support work with a 100cc mcculloch?
if it's a base mount in theory yes but you'll probably need to modify it.

third bearings support the end of the crank .
they usually are provided with generous adjustment slots.
so the outside plate

kt100 has different bolt pattern from mcculloch so not a direct bolt on.
with a little effort it can be done.

but unless it's free or really cheap it isn't worth the extra work.
unless you have an accurate template the extra work involved could take a couple of hours.

third bearing supports for mccullochs are available brand new from several sources , something i couldn't have said even four years ago.

they average around 80 bux not really that expensive when you consider the time factors.

hope this helps
dave l
Dave L.
Thanks Dave will do more research on mc supports.
(11-23-2018, 07:46 AM)Steve carroll Wrote: Thanks Dave  will do more research on mc supports.

Don Axe makes em,,,Mike Birdsell has em, Fox Valley Karting has em,,,Kirt Bennett has em , couple of different styles...

gw
I've been trying to buy one of Mike Birdsell's but he's out of them.

It's gotten so bad, I'm thinking of joining a 3rd Bearing Support group.

heh-heh
(11-30-2018, 08:34 AM)doug tenney Wrote: I've been trying to buy one of Mike Birdsell's but he's out of them.

heh-heh

Thanks for the laugh thats really funny!    
Did Mike say when he might have them?
(11-30-2018, 09:03 AM)jeff brown Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 08:34 AM)doug tenney Wrote: I've been trying to buy one of Mike Birdsell's but he's out of them.

heh-heh

Thanks for the laugh thats really funny!    
Did Mike say when he might have them?
That is a good one. Been waiting a while too. Last I heard Mike was trying to get his guy to make some.
Same here.

Through text messages a while back, I recall Mike saying that his original source was bogged down with other work... I can understand that.  When big companies buy something like this from a machine shop, you know the decimal point moves one or maybe two places to the right... gotta grab that kinda work when you can...  but then there's the endless BS that goes with it.  Ever see the movie Office Space?

Anyhow, I did see on FB (oops, now I sound like my wife) that Don Axe may become Mike's new supplier.  I guess I should just ask Mike!
The question I have, what is the third bearing bore?  Is it supporting the cap screw head which is .550  so a 14mm bearing would nicely support the cap screw or it supporting a longer bolt that the cap screw is going into?    I have seen them made both ways.
(12-03-2018, 03:13 PM)Jim Donovan Wrote: The question I have, what is the third bearing bore?  Is it supporting the cap screw head which is .550  so a 14mm bearing would nicely support the cap screw or it supporting a longer bolt that the cap screw is going into?    I have seen them made both ways.

Jim...

I think the ones that you see ""supporting"" the cap screw is just a screw up...it doesn't really fit tight enough to support the crank,,,,,

in other words..they are using the wrong stuff for it to work correctly...yeah it will keep the broken clutch/crank in place....maybe...

gw