Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
W.T.B. Rev Grip West Bend clutch innards
(06-24-2018, 03:27 PM)Mark Loraine Wrote: Shoes on the left are Saw shoes and maybe more durable but a lesser performer.

Bob, I thought maybe so. I want all the grunt I can get, so the lighter shoes would be the way to go. I have my hands full with a few '91's out here, and I need to keep a performance edge to make up for my indifferent driving! The real reason I'm setting up the Dyna Drive with a Rev Grip instead of max Torque is that I already have a Rev Grip drum drilled to fit the new Dyna oil housing input shaft.  Ted
Of course, Terry Ives has saved the day with very nice quality new shoes. I await a new heavy spring, as well as the spring installation tool from Bill McCornack. Since the new clutch housings are sealed and oil-filled, I will try L&T clutch oil, compressor oil and good old gear oil in turn to see which runs best. Dean Kanocz and Vince Hughes supplied center spiders, snap ring and back plate, and my drum is a modified NOS drum. Looks like the clutch is in business. Thank you, all. The vintage gang comes through as always! Wink  Ted
ted,
if you could try the synthetic ford auto tranny oil too while you're testing i'd like to hear results.
i have been using it in the hartmans i run and it holds up pretty good.
 usually will not burn out till i run about 30 laps.
curious to see how it does in gear box set up.
d Cool
Dave L.
Well, Dave, I know from experience that turbine aircraft engine oil is very good in clutch housings. It's expensive. When I was in Idaho, I was at the airport every weekend helping the builder's group build 13 Kitfox Series 7 airplanes. I met guys who flew jets and turboprops, and one of them gave me a couple quarts of the $30+/Qt. oil. I haven't got that connection any more. A number of guys run compressor oil with good success. Terry said to run the gear oil. I haven't heard anyone tell of experience with synthetic ATF, but I know better than to run petroleum based ATF in the clutch housing. I may well decide to run the same lube in clutch housing AND gear case. It'd be easier just to have a single oil on hand. If the humidity ever lets up, I will go out and do some trial assembly for final fitup. So far, so good. Brad Emery kindly made me a seal installation bullet so I can get the output shaft through the big ball bearing and the seal. It'll get passed around to the other guys who use the Cubel/Johnson/Bennett gear drive setup. I gave the bullet it's trial last night, and POP! right through like a champ. Now, if all the tolerances stack up right, we'll be golden. Ron Cubel did a great job of machining to my CAD output. Ted
(07-13-2018, 10:49 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Well, Dave, I know from experience that turbine aircraft engine oil is very good in clutch housings. It's expensive. When I was in Idaho, I was at the airport every weekend helping the builder's group build 13 Kitfox Series 7 airplanes. I met guys who flew jets and turboprops, and one of them gave me a couple quarts of the $30+/Qt. oil. I haven't got that connection any more. A number of guys run compressor oil with good success. Terry said to run the gear oil. I haven't heard anyone tell of experience with synthetic ATF, but I know better than to run petroleum based ATF in the clutch housing. I may well decide to run the same lube in clutch housing AND gear case. It'd be easier just to have a single oil on hand. If the humidity ever lets up, I will go out and do some trial assembly for final fitup. So far, so good. Brad Emery kindly made me a seal installation bullet so I can get the output shaft through the big ball bearing and the seal. It'll get passed around to the other guys who use the Cubel/Johnson/Bennett gear drive setup. I gave the bullet it's trial last night, and POP! right through like a champ. Now, if all the tolerances stack up right, we'll be golden. Ron Cubel did a great job of machining to my CAD output. Ted

ted, do a write up of your new clutch housing Ron made.
it would be interesting reading.
2nd
don't know if this info helps or not.
 i use the synthetic in a hartman oil clutch and abuse it pretty bad. 
don't change it as much as others have gone as much as two full week ends with same oil. 
gets dark brown but haven't even gotten it to smell burned.

eventually when i get to using a gear box i'll try it myself.
d Cool
Dave L.
Sounds, good, Dave. If I ever get the clutch housing done, I may take you up on a writeup. Ron Cubel did some nice machining, and a lot of vintage guys have come through with parts and information. If it isn't 200 degrees tomorrow, I should get the last of the axial clearances figured out. So far, so good. It was a hoot. I figured out where our drive gear ended up axially on our output shaft in relation to where the gear would end up if it were mounted on a Mac shaft. Got out there this morning before it got too hot. I was hoping for the gear face to be within .100 of where it ought to be. It measures out .005 from theoretical! Big Grin  Ron did a good job, and Tom Kelley had the Mac tapered end dimensions perfect. The thing ought to run very well. Here's a pic of the support plate, clutch housing and output shaft/drum assembly on a spare engine block.
P.S., you can just see the very nice seal installation bullet Brad Emery machined for us. Slick! Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)