Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a tire pressure gauge...
I used to have a nice, analog tire pressure gauge that had a 12+ inch, fabric wrapped hose, a bleed valve, and a clip on connector at the valve stem (I find that attempting to press a chuck against a 90° tr87 tube stem loses more pressure than I'm adding).  It was not an inflator.  I lost it at some point in the last decade, and I would like to replace it with a similar one, preferably in the range of 15-20 psi.  I am surprised that I have not been able to find a gauge that fits this description.  Does anyone have a favorite gauge that they'd recommend, and why?
If you find one with a hose, bleed valve, clip, etc. that you like, you might consider swapping out the actual gauge for one that better suits your application. That's what I did. I was able to refit the rubber "case" around the new gauge.

Here's some possible McMaster-Carr numbers:
3846K411 2" dia dial, 0-30psi, 1/8"NPT, $10
2201T41, same, except with rubber case, $23
2201T45 2-1/2" dia dial, 0-30psi, 1/4"NPT, $10, $24
Personally I have never found 2 gauges that read the same. I have 3 decent gauges that all read differently. Any recommendations appreciated.
Paul,

I've been advised that sticking with one gauge that is both consistent and readable in the increments of measurement that you require is probably more important than absolute accuracy. Thats why I want a gauge that only reads up to 15 or 20 PSI, so I can see ~1/4# increments.

Apparently a dead accurate gauge is not common, but repeatably consistent gauges are out there. Some micro sprint racers that I know really like Longacre gauges, but they looked at me funny when I listed my criteria. I may have to take Doug's advice and build my own!
Kurt - 2 of mine are Longacre and they read 3 lbs different. Like you I've been thinking of building my own using a high quality low pressure industrial gauge. I like consistency and accuracy.
Thumbs Up 
honestly guys not to be a smart arss , I usually just  use my thumb ,and good to go..
But I want my Vintage Speeds to be the bestest tires they can be! Wink
I use the digital gauge on my Craftsman battery powered inflator...the gauge may not be accurate as some,,,but,,once you find what you like.. I just stick to the readings on the inflator...

Gus,,,,,not fair..you have way to much experience,,,,

gw
Gus - I usually follow up with the thumb gauge myself!
i like the idea of having a gauge that clips on to give less hassles.
the main gauge i've been using lately is the one attached to my bicycle pump which is also pretty consitent.
you might want to look into a good bike pump as a solution to both your clip on gauge and a convenient instant adjustment should the pressure be off.
replacing the original gauge with a precise one should also be pretty easy as long as you're sure the set up is a screw on one.

gary's electric pump is also hard to beat trackside i borrow it all the time!

as a habit i also step on each tire before each grid practice or race to check deflection and pressure. 
you'd be surprised how many times that habit has saved me un-needed track grief.
the thumb test in the middle of the tire is also great and will give you a heads up on worn out tires when you get a little experience!

on separate stand alone gauges i just use the same crappy gauge each time looking for the same reading side to side.
accurate reading are nice for that but beyond matching pressure side to side i never worry about a particular pressure.
that is because there is no absolute or perfect tire pressure for every track.
tire pressure is personal taste as each driver has different wt factors,driving style,kart engine combo .
add to that heat of day or part of day you're running,humidity, slickness or lack of on a track track layout  the list goes on.
it is far more important that the front pair of tires match each other.
the same goes for the rear tires matching each other.

sometimes it's an advantage to run different pressure reading but that is complicated and for all out competition.
being competative with offset tire pressures is more about razors edge racing and we aren't really racing though some may disagree. 

Good even tire pressure is more important because that's about safety and a consistent performance on the corners.
So , imho , what you want to aim for is a consistent "feel" with your tire pressures.
a consistent tire "feel" allows you to run on the track right side up and not practice cutting grass!!                                                         
anyway even with a crappy gauge , with a little experience you'll be able to keep your tires at a reading that is workable trackside at each event.
d Cool
Dave L.