Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class for vintage event
I have a 63 Bug Wasp with a US Motor 820 on it. Is there a class I can run this in at the vintage events (like the 2018 Northeast Vintage Kart Promoter's Cup Series)?

Thanks,

Michael
sportsman rear
stay away from 8.2 rear if you do not have a wet clutch and pipe
tk
GEARBOX
Historic class
yep...Historic would be your best bet,,,to start in,,then maybe graduate up as your skills improve ( grow a bigger set??)

sportsman rear would be the next step up...both of these classes would be considered starter classes...and nothing to be ashamed of starting there ,,,most all of us started in one of these classes....

main thing,,have fun , do it safely

gw
As far as the answer to the original question that was posed at the start of this thread, the answer is definitely a yes.
Show up to anyone of "The Northeast Vintage Kart Promoter's Cup Series" events and you will find a class for you. 

Now, in response to some of the options suggested regarding the classes, I don't know....... a WB820 is an awful lot of motor to be in the "Historic" class. 

In "Historic" there are WB580s, Mc5, 6, and 7, Mc10, and maybe a 20, all of which are way smaller engines when compared to a WB820.

I would think going into Sportsman with a controlled exhaust and dry clutch, or even 8.2 rear and just starting in the back would be a much better option.

At some point, back in the day, we were all new to this. It worked out perfectly fine to start out in the class that our engine was specified for.

If someone is new just put that "X" on the back of your helmet and opt to start in the back until you're ready to be in the mix of things.

-Al
Al, for your reading pleasure.....

1. HISTORIC 1956 to 1964 rear engine karts and engines; single, dual, or triple engines, 16.5 c.i. (270cc) max
displacement; Must have vintage-style dry clutches or direct drive; box muffler; vintage tire
required; Promoter may split class as per VKA Guidelines (Para. 6a, below); duals/triples in front.
This is a non-points, Tier II demo class.

gw
The 820 would be fine! It will only go as fast as you want it to.
Gary, if you will notice, the original engine in question was a US820.....

Even within the VKA guidelines the US820 is not included for the "Historic" class. The guidelines call for the "Original" 820. (See the attached screen shot of the VKA Guidelines)

Also the original question was asking about the N.E. Series specifically. An 820, considering the usual makeup of our "Historic" class, would be a whole lot of motor. Also, we are offering the option to run Tier I and II to all participants. That includes "Historic" Participants. With that in mind we are going to try and group like engines together.

The Mc75 which is listed as a "Historic" motor is a whole lot of engine too..... if we get enough of the larger motors we will group them together.

In the end we will have to adjust the classes according to what shows up. There will be a place for everyone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

go ahead ..split hairs...

I'm done with ya...

gw
(05-01-2018, 08:51 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: go ahead ..split hairs...

I'm done with ya...

gw

Aww......
Now you hurt my feelings.