Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restoring a Rupp Dart super K
Really, really nice, Brian! I agree with Vince. If the photos are at all representative of reality, I think that the upholstery looks really good. Really authentic. Sometimes things can be over-restored, and they get a sterile feel. From what I can see in the photos, the upholstery looks very natural. Comfortable even. Can I sit in it? Will you give me a start? ?
Brian
That kart really looks great. You have done a fantastic job. Can you tell me what brand chain guards you are using and where you got them? I am restoring a Moss Cart and need chain guard for West Bend 580.
Gary, Vince Hughes has the cast aluminum GEM style Mac chain guards. They have slotted holes-maybe you could work them in to your installation. I'm aware the Moss has an unusual chain situation, and the guard actually mounts between the crank and the exhaust bell. Here's Vinve's website: http://www.californiavintagekarters.com/
Maybe look him over. Ted
Ted
Thanks for the information. I went to Vince's website and there is actually a picture of a chain guard on a Moss Cart on the homepage. You are right in that it is a unique setup. I will probably need to fabricate something to fit this application. Perhaps I can use something that is already made-up as a starting point.
(06-01-2018, 02:40 PM)Gary Snell Wrote: Ted
Thanks for the information. I went to Vince's website and there is actually a picture of a chain guard on a Moss Cart on the homepage. You are right in that it is a unique setup. I will probably need to fabricate something to fit this application. Perhaps I can use something that is already made-up as a starting point.

Gary, there is an undrilled polished cast one on eBay now. It is virtually the same as the old steel factory 580 guard. Maybe the seller can supply more than one. Ted  113030343759  is the eBay item No.
P.S. Vince owns a restored Moss that was done by the late Carl Buchanen. The one in the pic is probably Vince's own rig. The old Moss guard is very, very rare. You could fab one, but it would be a pain! Here's Carl's Moss at Vegas in about '06
Vince has the cast aluminum chain guards as well as Azusa ribbed velocity stacks. I have to warn you though that it took some sweet talking to get him to sell me a velocity stack. He is now selling from his personal stash. The chain guards are undrilled so they can be used on multiple applications.

Thanks for all the nice comments, and most of all the help and advice. Today I'm going to mix some fuel and see how those 580s run.

That Moss kart is super cool! Amazing how they mount the engines so low in the chassis... I bet it really helps the center of gravity.
Brian, we wish you success running the 580's. Wonderful engines! Ted
Got the Left hand engine running without too much trouble, but the RH engine will not draw fuel. Has compression and spark. I tried a spare carb with the same results. No draw on the fuel line. Could this be a reed problem? I pulled the V power intake and noticed that I could see daylight through the reeds ... shouldn't they seal up well in a static condition? I checked the fuel line, a gentle suck on the hose brings fuel right up... Any ideas?
Operation of the engine, once started, could be affected by faulty reeds, but I think that if you choke the carb with the palm of your hand, as far as drawing fuel is concerned, it shouldn't matter if the reeds seal tight: The fuel pump should still be actuated by the fluctuations of the crankcase pressure. I'd check that the pulse hole of the carb lines up with the passage through the manifold and reed block, and also verify that the pulse hole is not obstructed by gaskets, sealant, or incorrect alignment of the parts. That, and/or try the known-good carb, in case the other two happen to be in disrepair.
Brian, the reeds need not close tight, but must be close enough to seal under cranking compression. They must not be chipped or frayed. Are you 100% certain that you have a clear pulse path from carb mounting flange hole through gasket, reed cage flange, reed-to-manifold gasket and into the crankcase? You should be able to stick a drill bit right through. BE SURE the reed or gasket is not flipped 180°. Ted