Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restoring a Rupp Dart super K
(05-23-2018, 02:46 PM)Ralph B. Pears Wrote: Can anyone on this thread provide a current source for the Azusa ribbed velocity stacks shown in a couple of the photos in this thread? Thanks for any help you might provide.

They don't show in the Azusa catalog. I'm fairly sure you just have to buy them from this forum or from eBay. One issue is that they don't work with the infinite variable radius inlet on current Tilly carbs. Anyhow, I'm sure someone on here will sell you some. TJ
David- Thanks for the offer, but I already had bids in on one on ebay. On its way
the ribbed intake stacks ONLY  fit early carbs.
they can be fit up to later carbs but performance of carb will be damages as the bore on those stacks is smaller than modern carbs.

that said i have a bunch of those stacks brand new in my personal stockpile for my projects.
not really interested in selling any they were hard to find.

if you are patient you can usually find them up for bid on ebay or from strokerace.
he usually has a few.

if you want them RIGHT NOW i'd sell three of them at most .
but at a huge cost to you my "can't refuse price" is 60 bux each plus shipping. Dodgy
i don't expect anyone to buy them at that price.
the idea with that price is you'll be patient and wait to find them at a more reasonable price!! Big Grin

d Cool
Dave L.
Can anyone on this thread provide a current source for the Azusa ribbed velocity stacks shown in a couple of the photos in this thread? Thanks for any help you might provide.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will have to find an alternative. I had planned to use them on Tillotson carbs but appreciate knowing that the stack diameter is smaller than the newer carb throats.
EC Carburetors (dot com) has a wide variety of radiused and non-radiused filter adapters, if that's an appealing option. I got one from them to use on my Mac small flat back carb, and it fits well. I had to look at the specs for one after the other online till I found one that matched my needs. Might be easier to phone them with info on which carb you have?
Ralph, As far as I know, there are no nice looking stacks available for the current series of large-inlet Tilly carbs. EC Carburetors makes machined stacks, but they have a cylindrical outside diameter in order to attach a filter element. They ain't pretty, but they ARE efficient. You can dig around in their on-line catalog, but it's a clumsy affair and hard to navigate. TJ
These stacks seem to fit all of the tillotson carbs that I have, HL15, HL198.

So I have replaced the flat intakes with V reed stuffer intakes, but for now I plan to use the original HL15 carbs. Will they work ok with these intakes? Will they need to be re-tuned? When I bought them the motors were supposedly tuned as a pair with the flat intakes. Also, should I run 16 to 1 mixture? Best oil to use? Have the kart finished, dying to fire them up...
The Super K is now just about finished.  Still deciding whether I want to replace the original seat or not.  Thought I would post some before and after shots...

Before:    

After:    

Before:    

After:    

Brian,

The kart looks fantastic, congratulations on your hard work and it turning out so beautifully. I can appreciate the debate on leaving the seat as is or getting a new one since everything else has been restored. For what it's worth, I think the seat on it now looks great, it gives it just the right touch of nostalgia. Again, great job on the kart!
Brian, the HL15's will run fine on the engines, though they're quite restrictive. A pair of 198's or HL232's off of 820 engines will wake the engines up better. You can often find 232's on eBay that someone has replaced on their 820's with something bigger. 8 ounces of a good quality oil per gallon of regular gasoline will do very well for stock engines. I actually like 10 Oz./gallon myself. I'd rather foul the occasional plug than ever run the chance of accidentally setting my carb a tad lean and roasting a good motor. There was a good chat a while back about lubrication on 580's on the REAR site. Here's the webpage: http://rearenginekarts.com/phpbb3/viewto...f=1&t=3096  BTW, the kart looks terrific. I'm not a big fan of the Tri Star wheels, but they look good on your kart! Ted