Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
64/65 Rupp Grand Prix
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...ykQAvD_BwE
Kurt, your project is shaping up nicely! Every minute of the entire process will have been worth it as soon as you hit the track in your 1st practice session. If you come to Fremont,look me up kart #85. I should have my yellow 65 G/P there along with the sidewinder.
(03-18-2018, 07:02 PM)Tom Smith Wrote: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/...ykQAvD_BwE

Yeah, I learned about those transfer tools at the same time I learned about Clecos...  After I had already wrangled the pan into submission and transferred all of the holes by less efficient means.  While I was marking and drilling the holes, I really had to stretch the pan to get it to fit, including some extension of the relief notches where the seat back passes through the seat hoop, and gentle recontouring of that fold. I think it may have been bent 1/8"-3/16" away from the ideal location, which ate up the margin for the rivets at one end or the other.  I am so glad I fit it up *BEFORE PAINT*.  So, my first official advice to Dart restorers is this:  If you value your paint, fit up your pan before you refinish the frame or you will surely gouge the heck out of it!
This is something to remember when using repop parts or parts from eBay. These things aren't Fords or Chevys, and one may vary from another from the same manufacturer. Sometimes the variance is a mistake, sometimes a minor change in design may have taken place within a model year to save money or to increase performance. TJ
Making progress, here and there. I decided to get a new axle. The old one didn't have keyways along it's full length, which inhibited placement of the gearbox, and the new axle allows for proper castle nuts. Also, the old one was ugly.

Regarding the photos:

1) I know the brake drum is not there! Better yet, the wheels aren't even fastened to the axle. They're just in place to hold the chassis off the floor for now.
2) The camera severely distorted the overhead view of the kart. Yes, I need to set toe, but not to the extent that the photo suggests, and certainly not on the rear axle!

-Kurt

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I was really making progress, but I've found myself in the weeds a bit with regards to the fit of the clutch between the engine and gearbox. To put it simply: The clutch assembly, for one reason or another, is too long to fit between the engine and gearbox. Another member has been assisting me via photos and text messages, and has sent me one of his clutches to test fit, (it, too did not fit). He has also agreed to machine some lengthened sleeve nuts so I can install spacers between the engine bracket and the gearbox, in order to accommodate a MaxTorque Draggin Skin clutch. I believe I have everything ready to go, except for the clutch and details such as setting toe on the steering.

kurt
what size rear tire are you running, where did you get them, and did you consider what the lines meant on them, I placed mine on the same side "outer" in my case I noticed you mixed yours. Maybe someone more in the know would have some knowledge of what is correct?
They are Vintage Speed tires from Gus Gustafson. They're the 11x4.50-5 model. They're directionally constructed and are marked on the sidewall to indicate the direction of rotation.

Vintage Speed Tires
http://www.vintagespeedtires.com/tires
Gus Gustafson
5200 Fish Hatchery Road
Grants Pass, OR 97527
ph: 541.471.7212

So, I called it "finished" a week ago, when I was finally able to run up and down my driveway. I took it to the VKA event at Nicholson Speedway this past weekend. Had a ton of fun there, including being awarded for Best Restored Rear Engine! There were many nice machines at the event: What an honor! I also met a lot of cool people, one of whom, John Wolkiewicz, shared some photos that he got during the kart show. His is the metallic blue Bug with a sweet MC 20 and mine is the red Rupp:

Kurt Your kart was so well executed and I enjoyed reading your process so much that I have been inspired to write up a build thread of my own especially since now that I know how to post pics, thanks you. So stay tuned.