Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer Find-Unknown Kart
Good Morning,
New guy here. My name is Tim. Im just recently starting to get in to vintage karts. My dad raced mccullochs back in the 60’s in central California. I bought a mac-91 back in Nov that i plan on throwing on a kart im building for him. Im picking up a chassis I found and Im hoping someone on here can help my ID it. Im also curious as to what some may think its worth so I know if Im getting a bargain or not.
I had originally posted this last night under someone elses thread and just found the “start new thread” button. Sorry folks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tim, the frame is a mid-to late sixties Bug Sprint. The most difficult thing you'd have to do is to find or fabricate the aluminum seat pan, which was bent to shape and riveted in place. I did mine in the kitchen of my New Mexico apartment. It wasn't fun! Ted

Awesome! Where abouts in New Mexico are you? Im down south! Any idea what this thing could be worth?

Thats gonna be a project. I guess Ill try making a paper template. What are the long black studs sticking out? It looks to be riveted in.
Would you be able to send me a pic of the motor mount? Does that need to be welded on sonce there isnt a plate for it and there arent the parallel bars for a clamp style mount?
Tim, I built the Sprint back in '06, when I still lived in NM. I live in Arizona now, half way between Tucson and Phoenix. The black pieces are Cleco fasteners. They hold items together temporarily while the rest of the rivet holes are being drilled. Wonderful tools. Get them at any aircraft supply shop such as Aircraft Spruce. You must also have the pliers with which to apply and remove the Clecos. They're not expensive, and are very handy. The factory engine mount on the Sprint was a swing mount, riding on the axle with two ball bearings, and clamped to the frame rail with a rubber grommet and U-bolt setup. My Sprint had a Margay Gearbox. The frame had an aluminum clamp attached to the frame rail to snub the front of the gearbox. I later built a swing mount myself for the kart. I always do my own mounts on CAD, have the parts water jet cut and then get them welded up. Here's a pic of my Sprint as it was in '07 when we took it to Fremont. Bill Parun owns the rolling chassis now. It still looks very nice.
I hope someone will help out with the value. I'm lousy at setting prices for kart items! Ted

Wasnt expecting that. Sound like its gonna be a PITA to find one of those and ill be better off making my own. Did you also fab that caliper bracket.
My swing mount is made up of 5 pieces of steel sheet. They're water jet cut, and have tabs which fit into slots. It's temporarily held together with threaded rod and nuts for welding, and is self-aligning. Some filing on the slots and tabs is necessary for a press fit using a vise. Once welded, you remove the threaded rod and nuts. It has a front snout that has a hole for a link to a tab welded to the frame crossmember. A standard side mount plate bolts to your engine, and has slots that engage the two studs on the swing mount. This provides for chain adjustment. The link to the kart is made up of a male and female Heim joint screwed together. I've been using this basic design since 2008, and it works very well. You can design your own mount, look for a Bug mount among the forum members, adapt a Fox or Azusa swing mount, or I can email you the DXF files for the parts to make one like mine. If you want to go that way, the water jet shop I use probably still has the four DXF files needed to make the five parts for the mount. You'd make arrangements with Waterjet Cutting, Inc. to have them cut, you pay them directly and they send you the cut pieces. If you want to do that, PM me and I'll send you my email address and phone number. I got the caliper bracket from Bug, but I doubt you can get one now. If I knew the angle required for the caliper so the nuts clear the frame rail, I could whip you one up on CAD and you could get it water jet or laser cut. Mine was machined for clearance, as you can see from the photo. If you can measure the vertical distance from the center of the axle up to the TOP of the frame rail, I can make you one. Ted

That's a good looking mount. I don't have a cross member behind the seat to weld a tab to for the heim joints. I don't really want to modify this guy if I don't have to. I did some looking and found some reproduction swing mounts for around 60 bucks that I am assuming I can bolt to the existing bearing hangers.

Are the guys over there at WaterJet Cutting reasonably priced?

I think if I use one of these reproduction swing mounts, or something similar, I can bolt one hanger to the inside of the frame straight to the frame bearing hanger with some spacers in between. As long as the mounting plate has slots for the mounting bolts, I can adjust tension that way. Another option would be to fabricate one that goes over the rail and bolts to the factory hanger on the outside. Ill take some measurements when it arrives. The frame is about 4 hours away from me and I have a buddy that lives up there picking it up for me today. I should be able to get it from him in a week or so.

As far as the brake caliper bracket I have some ideas for that as well. Do you have two bearings there or just the one on the outside of the bracket?

Your thoughts...?

PM Inbound.
guys, 
nice thread so far but i think it has turned into a build thread .
i'll move it with a redirect sometime next week so others can see it.
Cool
Dave L.