Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1960 Simplex Mark II Restoration Project
After reading Jim Waltz's thread I thought I would share my on going kart restoration.  This is my first kart restoration and I must say I'm enjoying the process.  I bought the kart about a year ago and it was all original and only missing a few parts.  At the time I purchased the kart I was already working on restoring a 1967 Taco 22 mini bike along with the 1966 B&S 3HP engine.  Now that I've completed the mini bike (see attached photos) I hope to spend more time on the kart.  I've attached a few photos documenting the restoration.

[attachment=3028]  [attachment=3030]  [attachment=3032]

[attachment=3033]  [attachment=3035]  [attachment=3036]
More photos.

[attachment=3037]                  

Additional photos to follow.
As you can see the kart was in fairly good condition for a 57 year old kart.  The kart had some surface rust but no cracks, bends or re-welds but I decided to replace the floor board and seat back anyway.  I stripped the frame along with the fuel tank down to the bare metal and then applied a primer coat.  The fuel tank was in great shape, I removed the interior rust followed by a tank sealant. I bead blasted and primed the wheels, throttle rods, brake rods and everything else that eventually be painted. 

I've done more work since these photos were taken, those photos will follow.
(02-14-2018, 10:13 PM)Michael Jarosik Wrote: After reading Jim Waltz's thread I thought I would share my on going kart restoration.  This is my first kart restoration and I must say I'm enjoying the process.  I bought the kart about a year ago and it was all original and only missing a few parts.  At the time I purchased the kart I was already working on restoring a 1967 Taco 22 mini bike along with the 1966 B&S 3HP engine.  Now that I've completed the mini bike (see attached photos) I hope to spend more time on the kart.  I've attached a few photos documenting the restoration.

Very nice job on the mini bike!

What kind of wheels are those?  They look great.

(02-15-2018, 09:23 AM)Michael Jarosik Wrote: As you can see the kart was in fairly good condition for a 57 year old kart.  The kart had some surface rust but no cracks, bends or re-welds but I decided to replace the floor board and seat back anyway.  I stripped the frame along with the fuel tank down to the bare metal and then applied a primer coat.  The fuel tank was in great shape, I removed the interior rust followed by a tank sealant. I bead blasted and primed the wheels, throttle rods, brake rods and everything else that eventually be painted. 

I've done more work since these photos were taken, those photos will follow.

Nice project.

Nice work.

It'll be a beauty!
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA