Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheep in Wolve's Clothing - What is it?
I took the nice chrome overhead pipe & other items off a show kart motor with a nice chrome shroud and a reproduction MC101AA sticker on it.  The engine is actually an ultralight or chainsaw motor.   It has a BDC 9 carb with an insert that gives it a 1" bore (Note to the new Commisar - GW would it be ok for sportsman?).  The block has a permanently attached head and no boost ports.   The block has a number 63629 on the bottom where the old motors had their respective model numbers and 4589 on the right side.  

Hopefully, someone in our merry band of Kartaholics has had some experience with whatever this actually is.

Smokey
(12-29-2017, 08:35 PM)Blaine Young Wrote: I took the nice chrome overhead pipe & other items off a show kart motor with a nice chrome shroud and a reproduction MC101AA sticker on it.  The engine is actually an ultralight or chainsaw motor.   It has a BDC 9 carb with an insert that gives it a 1" bore (Note to the new Commisar - GW would it be ok for sportsman?).  The block has a permanently attached head and no boost ports.   The block has a number 63629 on the bottom where the old motors had their respective model numbers and 4589 on the right side.  

Hopefully, someone in our merry band of Kartaholics has had some experience with whatever this actually is.

Smokey
Blaine,
I built that motor package for a police officer in Florida. The guy wanted a 101 look but did not want to spend 101 money so I built him a nice 115cc saw motor and fitted the chrome covers. The pipe is a M&G overhead built by Gary Hartman back in the early 70s. The engine has a 1.635" stroke and a 2.220" bore as I recall. I use one of those engines on my "Kart Start" engine powered kart starter and it has a lot of grunt. You should give it a try on a vintage kart... I think it would have a lot of bottom end and be lacking a bit up high. The BDC 9 is a custom built carb I designed for the guy so that the motor would be very user friendly at low rpm if he decided to play around in a parking lot somewhere. It was a very nice looking package and the motor was freshly built with quality parts when I sent it to him a few years ago. I suggest you try the carb too, I think you might be surprised at how it works.
Steve O'Hara
Wow, the maestro hits another one out of the park.........
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Round, Round, Get around I get around,,,,,Steve O has done it all...

sounded like a custom package to me,,,

gw
(12-29-2017, 08:35 PM)Blaine Young Wrote: I took the nice chrome overhead pipe & other items off a show kart motor with a nice chrome shroud and a reproduction MC101AA sticker on it.  The engine is actually an ultralight or chainsaw motor.   It has a BDC 9 carb with an insert that gives it a 1" bore (Note to the new Commisar - GW would it be ok for sportsman?).  The block has a permanently attached head and no boost ports.   The block has a number 63629 on the bottom where the old motors had their respective model numbers and 4589 on the right side.  

Smokey

3. SPORTSMAN REAR Rear American engines; 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement; WB-820 with 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement must be industrial-type; McCullochs must be 6.1 c.i. (100cc) max displacement or saw blocks over 80cc. small single intake manifold allowed (WB V-reed, Homelite reed, Go Power reed, etc.). Manifold to have an HL bolt pattern. Single HL 1-inch maximum throttle bore carburetor Small Mac flat-back carb OK. Must have vintage-style dry clutch, box muffler and vintage tires. MC-91, 92 and 93 engines are allowed
Oh Gary, you say that to all the boys........
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Thanks Steve.

The carb really looks quite interesting in spite of GW's thumbs down on sportsman rear. (What no sense of humor?).  When the detective told me what he paid you for the engine package, I didn't think he could have picked up a 101 for that amount.  The pipe is so sharp looking I couldn't pass on the rig.

Actually with the 6.1 cu. in. stroke and a 2.20 bore (and a legal sloper & carb) that engine should be legal for sportsman rear.  The stroke is right and it's slightly under the maximum bore.  If I  don't finish my MC40 in time, this rascal will be motoring around Bushnell (with the sharp 101 shroud & shining flywheel cover removed and less ostentatious Mc 40 covers in place).

Smokey
Guys, here are some photos of the package as I sent it out. Pretty cool stuff. As I recall the buyer had it on a nice Bug Stinger.
SteveO

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w506ucokppbebd...1.zip?dl=0
(12-30-2017, 06:50 PM)steveohara Wrote: Guys, here are some photos of the package as I sent it out. Pretty cool stuff. As I recall the buyer had it on a nice Bug Stinger.
SteveO

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w506ucokppbebd...1.zip?dl=0

As the pictures show, I used a generic McCulloch sticker on the head shroud when I sent it out. He must have changed the sticker to the 101A/A. The motor has stock ports but that model saw came with pretty high compression. I can't start the matching engine used on my KartStart unless I use the compression release. I look forward to hearing how it runs on a kart.
SteveO

For the guys that are curious, the carb has a slide in venturi insert that reduces the opening size to around 1" so it produces a much stronger signal at low rpm than the original design. I don't have any photos of the carb to post.
SteveO
Steve said it was 115 cc saw motor,,,

its different , its vintage,,,use it...

I remember Steve O talking bout it some time ago...gotta be cool as hell..

gw