Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rupp go kart (questions about rupp and good kart buying advise)
$8500 chaparral on ebay... ouch
GEARBOX
(11-24-2017, 04:08 PM)thomas kelley Wrote: $8500 chaparral on ebay... ouch

yeah...my thoughts exactly....don't really wanna sell...I just want you to know  its in the garage...not mine...

gw
"What ever I buy I will make sure I fit comfortably !" Here is part of the deal on rears. Most of us don't really fit comfortably. Our bodies don't want to wad up that tight anymore. So one needs to sit in the kart a bunch of times to get your body used to being in the tight quarters. If you have gained a lot of weight it is a real problem. If over 6' or much over 200 # It may take a while to find the right kart. Do your research. Watch my Alley Kat build off on this site. I don't want to build anyone a kart but it has a lot of info you will find useful as you make your search. It's not all as simple as one thinks.
I'm about 5' 7" on a good day, and it's hard to get into my G/P. I drive it with my legs bent out to the sides, and the wheel just about stuck into my stomach. It's not the most comfortable thing, but that's just part of the deal with the rear engine karts. I think they were built for 4 foot tall, 100 pound kids. That being said, I have an absolute blast every time I get to run it. So, by all means, get something that suits you best and get on track! Fast, slow or show It's a good time.
I was a kart racing "wanna-be" as a kid, so I accumulated a binder full of brochures no racing experience. So, I may be wrong on this, but it seems like karting in the early days (before sidewinders and minimum weights) must've been sort of like wrestling in Jr and Sr High: a place where the smaller guys (and gals) could shine. True?
[attachment=2788 Wrote:Earl Gregory pid='6837' dateline='1511194600']can somebody tell me what a 1965 rupp grand prix with  dual mac. 101 motors in excellent condition is worth ?

some options for tall guys..custom build a frame ..like Steve W was saying..or have someone build one for you like Richard Peck(Hornet in Waco )  or some of the guys that build SAE repops..

I'm 6'3" and could never drive a rear kart with out it being built to fit me...my SS Hornet has been stretched 3 inches   steering raised 2 inches,,,,some laugh and say it looks like a funny car out of the 60s...but..it fits, and its comfortable, my Hornet dual has a front porch on it, exactly as was done in the early 70s.....

you gotta be comfortable..I've had Darts, Brand X( same as a GP),,Chaparrals singles and duals....all were to small.. Chaparrals were close...maybe if yer just under 6 foot they would work,,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

..don't buy.. blitz .,fox MAK .,evans .,bantam or factory alley kat ..im only 5-4 and I cant ride none of mine ..comfortable ..
also on the list of don't buy are most early karts before about '64. Many moved the seats back some at about that point. Early Darts had the seats forward of where the late one were.
[attachment=4341 Wrote:Al Hasenfratz pid='6925' dateline='1511578153']I'm about 5' 7" on a good day, and it's hard to get into my G/P. I drive it with my legs bent out to the sides, and the wheel just about stuck into my stomach. It's not the most comfortable thing, but that's just part of the deal with the rear engine karts. I think they were built for 4 foot tall, 100 pound kids. That being said, I have an absolute blast every time I get to run it. So, by all means, get something that suits you best and get on track! Fast, slow or show It's a good time.

I'm just under 5'9" and I'm in Al's 1965 Grand Prix (2019). The biggest change for me was driving a sprint kart with the butterfly-style steering wheel. I’m wearing a chest/rib protector under my jacket. 

.png   Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 9.15.51 AM.png (Size: 2.71 MB / Downloads: 19)

Me in my 1963 Grand Prix (23) in at around 5'6" at Crescent Raceway in 1964.

.jpg   23467330_696254157250336_8193759947759589438_o.jpg (Size: 383.01 KB / Downloads: 17)
Earl,

Where are you in the Cleveland area? I'm located in Strongsville, and if you'd like to PM me your phone number or e-mail, maybe we can get together.