Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reed cage question
Hi everyone, I have another question. What reed cage does everyone use when using a tillison hl carb to a Mac? Do you have to use a west end reed cage or is there a small Mac cage you could use? Bye the way, put new needle in my tillison And now have pop off 10lbs. Read Dave,s information on tillison,s and learned a lot.
mel ., depends on intake .., stock 2 pedal intake you can do much with unless you bore out center for go powers ., then theres intakes only go powers will fit ..if you got a short intake like on a 6 there tiny bit tuff to find ..long intakes pretty easy plus they repop one for west bend 5v reed cage ...lots options ..

these are what I call a long intake ..for 49 .m 7.8.9. 90 ., 91 etc .
if you run them on a short intake block about 1/3 intake area restricted and hard to seal on bottom lip ..
no good for 10.,20.,5, or6
http://www.classickartshop.com/wp-conten...00x200.jpg
Vince Hughes makes an adapter for a 91 manifold and cage. That gives you plenty of reed for the HL.
tom ., I think mel has an mc5 ..the mc91 intakes will work but there is some restriction and kinda hard to seal on bottom ..
Here are a few pics of my manifold and reed cage. I realy don,t know what reed cage I have, is it a westbend or mac and also is that gem manifold stock  for a mac 5? I need a gasket and I don,t know what to look for.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The GEM manifold would be a period aftermarket intake that uses a West Bend reed cage, pretty good manifold overall.
(11-12-2017, 06:38 PM)Brian Santee Wrote: The GEM manifold would be a period aftermarket intake that uses a West Bend reed cage, pretty good manifold overall.

mel ,
glad problem is solved that is a great thread i'll be pruning a little and moving to carb section.
the manifold in pix is excellent for a mc5.
i have all the old mcculloch manifold to block gaskets that'll work pm me for one.
Cool
Dave L.
Brian, you said that the manifold works with a WB reed cage, but is that what Mel's photos show? If so, it would be from a 610/820, right? I think Mel needs to know that to buy the right gasket for reed block-to-manifold.

Mel, for the carb-to-reed block gasket, any HL gasket should work, I assume. For example, a stock West Bend 610/820. Even with the right parts, always verify that pulse holes line up. Easy mistake to flip carb 180 degrees.
pretty sure all west bend reed cages are same ..580 five port ..610,and 820 ..
(11-12-2017, 12:53 PM)steve miller Wrote: tom .,  I think mel has an mc5 ..the mc91 intakes will work but there is some restriction and kinda hard to seal on bottom ..

Sorry I didn't catch that Steve, you are right.