Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off shoot to "why" (a discussion about vintage kart events and ideas going forward)
No disrespect for johnny but I suggested "do your homework". I still stand by that. I doubt he has watched my video's or he might know I have supplied a few bent frames to people (but I'm tired and not really doing many now). Most everyone knows a good vintage project can be found and is far easier to rebuild that the kit he is referring to. I DID take a look at what he was talking about and a copy of the Manco Orange Krate just isn't a great kart for vintage racing. I know for a fact many of the guys have very good vintage karts that turn really fast laps with little invested. I'm not blasting Johnny or flaming him. Just suggesting he takes some time to make the best choice he can for the money as making the wrong choice is the most costly mistake. Hang in there Johnny. It will all make sense soon.
there is a guy on youtube named red beard
he is making replica manko or bird type frames... these are not race karts
best bet is to buy a kart that is restored already
make sure it fits the class you want to run
add gas
learn to drive and enjoy the comunity
tk
GEARBOX
I am new to vintage karting. My brother raced in the early 80s (flathead Briggs), but I was too young. I started searching for and restoring a few earlier this year, and if you are diligent in searching, there are lots of reasonably priced karts out there. It's easy for buying karts to become a nasty addiction! Hoping to make my first event at Bushnell or Barnesville. I have a related question for everyone. I stripped my first kart down to send it off to powder coating, but I can't bring myself to do it. I started looking at the patina and the small touches from the original owner such as the garden hose on the pedals and the faded stickers on the 80s bodywork. Is it okay to just run them "as raced" from back in the day?
Jason,

It is indeed OK to just clean up and old kart, make sure everything is safe, and run it "as was".

Terry Ives might actually be the leader in this respect, as he has an old red kart that he got from an old time racer, and he is running it with very little work done to it.

It is one of our favorites.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
For those guys looking for a roller.....I have several for sale  .....
https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/d/karts...09772.html

A Welte re-engineered 68 Bug......a K&P side winder NOS Bug with new upholstery, A Rupp Road Runner that whipped the GK 800's, My Go Kart 800's are down to one chassis, but it may be gone soon too .  Not to mention I have a restorable Alpha Mark 10, very rare and a Manco Dingo that could be modified into an Orange Krate ......I will soon have new upholstery available for Bug Wasps, Go Kart 800/1200 and the Manco's ......thanks to a friend Deb.....that has taken on this project, she has Dart seat available now .

See some one off vintage karts below .....and ending with a true icon of karting Mr. Ives .....sporting a survivor Dart
as noted by Jim Waltz .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-03-2017, 03:11 PM)steve miller Wrote: listen to these guys ..they know whats going on ..
im by far a pro builder or driver .,but I  scratch built these ..less than 500.00 invested ..in each and I turned a lot of laps on them the red one I rode every event I been to in last 4 years not a ton of events but a ton of laps ..
I will say I did lotta wheelin and dealin to get everything.. but I did hundred percent of the work myself ..paint ., fab ., seat all way to complete ..

Yeah Steve,but you probably have every kart part known to man.LOL.Nice job on those karts. I was considering someone being a newbie to karting and buying new parts. But you are right, If you are willing to find all the parts used it would be doable but I think these guys want to get racing so a manufactured vintage kart may be the way to go for them. You also need the equipment to do the job or pay someone to do some of the work.
The upshot is: DO YOUR RESEARCH! It can be a complete turnoff to invest a ton of time and a lot of money building a kart of your own design, only to be told at the tech inspection that your machine doesn't meet the rules. If you modify a yard kart, you run the risk of finding out the hard way that it was built of inferior materials. I've seen guys put much time and effort into modifying a yard kart, only to wad it up in its first mishap. If you can read the rules, if you're a good welder, if you're a machinist or have deep pockets, by all means, have at it! Just be aware that the other drivers are not going to risk their a$$es nor their equipment heading into a turn at up to 60 MPH against a POS kart. Look at the first two pictures in Randy's post above. That's Alvin Webb's home built and designed kart. It is a great example of a well designed, safe and fast homebuilt. Ted
Guys,
I think it's interesting that I found 3 really nice vintage karts for sale on Craig's List, all prices about right, during this whole discussion, and this guy, and no one else is interested. The Bug is a 1967, the last year of the vintage style. The Hornet is in very good shape, and complete. I still say Historic is dying.
All I read about here, is trying to build a vintage kart from scratch, is that really vintage?
Try working with military grade 4130 chromoly tubing, without a really good bender, you will rapidly learn the term "spring back".
Good Luck
Brian
if you aint gonna buy any of them post em up ., show the new gent ..
Steve,
That is exactly what I did a few days ago, look at the FOR SALE section of the forum.
Brian