Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my find of the year so far clinton e65
(09-20-2017, 11:07 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 10:07 AM)David Luciani Wrote: don't worry terry.i have that secret weapon motor we discussed at tbo to build.
between us i think we can build a "fast" clinton.
as it turns out i have several clinton motors lying around i've gathered through the last few years. some are good for parts some can be built into competators at least relatively speaking.
we need to chat i think .
chris m. get ready we're coming for you!!

I have no problem with ganging up on Chris. 
We can see who cheats the best!  Smile
Have any of you Clinton nuts tried to adapt the big K900 powerhead, 10+ cubes with a removable head. Wonder if there are any still laying around anywhere? TJ
(09-20-2017, 10:07 AM)David Luciani Wrote: don't worry terry.i have that secret weapon motor we discussed at tbo to build.
between us i think we can build a "fast" clinton.
as it turns out i have several clinton motors lying around i've gathered through the last few years. some are good for parts some can be built into competators at least relatively speaking.
we need to chat i think .
chris m. get ready we're coming for you!!

BRING IT ON BIG BOYS !!!!!!

Oh I for got to say it has to get "BUILT " and actually run !   ha ha ha
Have any of you Clinton nuts tried to adapt the big K900 powerhead, 10+ cubes with a removable head. Wonder if there are any still laying around anywhere? TJ

Ted,
Haven't really looked at the boat engines.
The cranks appear to have a stubby PTO, so might be hard to make it work.
That said, I would be happy to duct tape an extension on one for Chris.

t
Yea , that would prolly slow me down enough you could catch me , ha ha ha.
(09-20-2017, 06:07 PM)Chris Marchand Wrote: Yea , that would prolly slow me down enough you could catch me , ha ha ha.

I promise to use the very best duct tape!
Back on '58/'59, when I had my first dead axle Bug single A-400, Pop gave me a Clinton outboard. I spent a month converting it to a kart engine. One of the machinists at Radiation, Inc. (now Harris Electronics) made me a crank adapter for my Mercury clutch. The engine was about 7 cubes, had the twin intake and exhaust ports like an E-65, and ball bearing mains and needle bearing rod. I remember having a heck of a time converting the shrouds to make them similar to chain saw shrouds. The engine mount was a bear also. I put a saw reed and manifold on, and a Tilly carb. I had just gotten it sorted and running very well when Pop bought me a pair of the then new E-65 Deluxe engines, and his old dual dead axle Bug to put them on. I sold the outboard engine, and soon realized that I shoulda kept it. It was actually as quick as the twin E-65's. I was only fifteen years old, and had a lot to learn! The guy who bought the engine put it on a very early '59 wide frame Wasp. and did very well with it. Of course, it was way too big in displacement for the A Class he ran in. The locals all thought that it was the standard 5.76 C.I. Clinton displacement.  Ted
(09-20-2017, 07:43 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Back on '58/'59, when I had my first dead axle Bug single A-400, Pop gave me a Clinton outboard. I spent a month converting it to a kart engine. One of the machinists at Radiation, Inc. (now Harris Electronics) made me a crank adapter for my Mercury clutch. The engine was about 7 cubes, had the twin intake and exhaust ports like an E-65, and ball bearing mains and needle bearing rod. I remember having a heck of a time converting the shrouds to make them similar to chain saw shrouds. The engine mount was a bear also. I put a saw reed and manifold on, and a Tilly carb. I had just gotten it sorted and running very well when Pop bought me a pair of the then new E-65 Deluxe engines, and his old dual dead axle Bug to put them on. I sold the outboard engine, and soon realized that I shoulda kept it. It was actually as quick as the twin E-65's. I was only fifteen years old, and had a lot to learn! The guy who bought the engine put it on a very early '59 wide frame Wasp. and did very well with it. Of course, it was way too big in displacement for the A Class he ran in. The locals all thought that it was the standard 5.76 C.I. Clinton displacement.  Ted

Ted,
I'll keep my eyes open for something like that.
I already tried the dual E65's.  They sure made good noises!
They DID sound great, Terry, but that was all they did. I didn't keep them around long enough to mod them. I got an early '58 PP, and a VERY early Mc6 in quick succession, and that pretty much set me up for Macs until I quit karts in '64. TJ
Hey Ted, The Clinton I was running at TBO that these guys are whining about was an E 65. Plus I got it from Terry a few years ago !
would that be the special 5 port e65 i've heard about??
if so you may have troubles next year as terry and my secret weapon e65 has been five ported.
i happen to have a nice straight gk400 dead axle it'll work well on too.
last time i looked terry is pretty thin too.
so i think we may have the right driver/engine/frame combo to give you troubles!!
or if the karts are all live axles i'll bring a gk800 along for this historic clinton shootout!!!.
Dave L.