Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blitz Kart project
Thanks Ted
i have a milling machine here and So Bend lathe so when i get to it will PM you for the pdf , i don't want to
get ahead of my self i guess you can buy already precision ground shafting with the key already milled in it
from McMaster but you don't want that with Aluminum
Richard,
Richard, I have an appointment with the surgeon sometime soon, so don't wait too long. We've been buying the McMaster 1" precision stock for quite a while, and it works very well. Ted
On some of ours when the slots are cut you can't even see the key where a hub is. Much stronger and less distortion of the axle. The 7075 from McMaster isn't overly expensive.
The only issue with the McMaster stock is that the available lengths are limited. At least you can use the whole piece as it's cut cleanly. Still, like Steve says, the price is good for precision stock of a good alloy. Ted
...and I recall that 7075-T6 is strongest of all aluminum alloys (not including fancy metal matrix composites, etc).

My son's first Blitz came with an aluminum axle too. Eventually the keyways got stretched out, etc, so we went with a steel replacement.
The best axles of all time were the old tubular 4130 ones that were sold way back when. You could even run dual open 820's or triple Macs with no flex or tramp. I haven't seen one in decent shape for decades. TJ
Nice project! I like the looks of the Blitz.
(08-16-2017, 07:30 PM)ted johnson Wrote: The best axles of all time were the old tubular 4130 ones that were sold way back when. You could even run dual open 820's or triple Macs with no flex or tramp. I haven't seen one in decent shape for decades. TJ

Hi Ted,

If I may ask, I'm curious about the tubular 4130 axle you mentioned. If you can recall, what were the dimensions, i.e., wall thickness and inner diameter on those? How were the keyways situated in them? Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge...

Best wishes,
Vince
Vince, it's been so long I don't know the answers. I ran them solely after the beginning of '62. The ones we sold and Pop and I ran were from Reed Engineering. Maybe someone has an old magazine ad? Ted
Ted, sometimes I can barely remember yesterday so I can understand not remembering back to '62! From how you described them, they sure do sound like a pretty durable set up. I was just curious how deep the keyway would/could be cut even with a wall thickness of .250". I'm sure somewhere along the way an ad or some info will turn up. Thanks for everything!

Best Wishes,
Vince