Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUFFY LIVINGSTONE PASSES
I was informed Duffy passed today, I know he was in his 90's.  Another Legend and karting forefather is lost.
More info to follow as it becomes known. God bless him and his family.

That is truly a shame. He is a legend, and was a fine gentleman as well as a Hell of a driver. The sport will miss him. Rest In Peace, Duff! Ted
Oh no!

Another great WW-2 Navy veteran and great icon of karting is lost to us.

I had no idea how lucky I was last year to honor Duffy (and be honored) with Lynn Haddock showing Duff my replica of his original polka dot helmet (and getting him to autograph it).

Lynn remarked that Duffy was surprised that anyone still wanted his autograph.

Play this in his honor, please.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Here are two of VK's finest. TJ

Duffy at Riverside 2010, showing a bunch of us his picture albums.
He was one of the greats and a very colorful guy, great stories!!
glad I got to meet him a few years ago in Barnsville. A great loss.
Guys & Gals,
It's interesting, if Jeff had just said that Duffy died, everyone would have known who Jeff was talking about, he was famous to all karters around the world. But some of you may not know that he was one of the most famous Hot Rod people in the LA area, during the 1950's. If you get a chance, please get the book "The Hot Rod" by Brock Yates. It tells the story of the most famous Hot Rod road race car, probably ever built. Duffy built it & raced it, and it beat Ferrari's. It will very quickly make you understand why & how the Go Kart 800, became the best handling early chassis. Here is what is odd, I just re-read it last night.
God Bless Duffy
You have inspired me & my engineering for 57 years.
The kart I will never sell, my Go Kart 808
Brian Sheridan
It's a sad day, most of those folks that started this kart sport have passed, knowing a lot of them from my early days
is what brought my interest back to karting, but my passion has always been for the Vintage machines .

Art Ingels was the founder of karting, but Duffy was the one that turned karting into a true motorsport loved by so many of us .

"The kart I will never sell, my Go Kart 808 Brian Sheridan".......I feel the same way, my Go Kart's are prized and the first Vintage karts I went looking for, even before I even realized there was a Vintage Kart Movement !

(08-13-2017, 08:39 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: It's a sad day, most of those folks that started this kart sport have passed, knowing a lot of them from my early days
is what brought my interest back to karting, but my passion has always been for the Vintage machines .

Art Ingels was the founder of karting, but Duffy was the one that turned karting into a true motorsport loved by so many of us .

"The kart I will never sell, my Go Kart 808 Brian Sheridan".......I feel the same way, my Go Kart's are prized and the first Vintage karts I went looking for, even before I even realized there was a Vintage Kart Movement !

Truly a remarkable man and the words that best describes Duffy are "innovation at its finest".   Everyone I have met in karting are really remarkable people, it is a shame we only go around once but if there is an afterlife I sure hope I can find a go kart the next time around and be with this great gang!!!

Thank you Duffy for the memories.

Jim D
(08-13-2017, 08:30 PM)Brian Sheridan Wrote: Guys & Gals,
It's interesting, if Jeff had just said that Duffy died, everyone would have known who Jeff was talking about, he was famous to all karters around the world. But some of you may not know that he was one of the most famous Hot Rod people in the LA area, during the 1950's. If you get a chance, please get the book "The Hot Rod" by Brock Yates. It tells the story of the most famous Hot Rod road race car, probably ever built. Duffy built it & raced it, and it beat Ferrari's. It will very quickly make you understand why & how the Go Kart 800, became the best handling early chassis. Here is what is odd, I just re-read it last night.
God Bless Duffy
You have inspired me & my engineering for 57 years.
The kart I will never sell, my Go Kart 808
Brian Sheridan

Sorry as all of us are to hear of Duff's passing. You are right about the book and Duff's involvement with the "sporty car" set. I was Extremely Lucky to be at the Monterey Historics the year they debuted car 184 after the restoration and saw it run and had no idea what the hell this old Hot Rod  with "Go Kart" written on it was doing out there with Ferraris, Jags, and other assorted sports cars of the late 50's early 60's and to my amazement it started picking them off one by one as the Driver got more comfortable with the car. A Great Memory!