Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swing mount location
I need to know if this is to much offset between my swing mount to sprocket center.

Looking for some advise on how to assemble my rear axle.

Brad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

that's about exactly how I have one of my alley kats ..?? 1 in maybe less ..there su[p[posed to mount backwards on an ally kat if thats what ur working on ..the mounting tab clamps over rear frame hoop bumper instead of off the cross bar behind seat ..I switched both mine to from mounting ..

slide the sprocket hub in or out match up to clutch good to go I think ..
As long as the clutch sprocket lines up W/the axle sprocket, you're fine. Gee! That mount looks familiar! Ted
What is likely the most important issue is whether you are going to run an inboard clutch or an outboard clutch.

What you have pictured looks pretty good for an outboard clutch.  It does not look OK for an inboard clutch, where the sprocket on the clutch is going to be right next to the engine, rather than out towards the end of the crank.

You also have the option (with most sprocket hubs - but not all) to put the axle sprocket on either side of the hub.

Before you lock down the axle & swing mount assemblies, you should probably do a trial fit up of the engine/mount/clutch assembly to see if it is all going to work.

It is for this reason that my "major" resto projects ("Palmini Special" Kalifornia Nyke and Sears Orange Krate) will go together without the chassis powder coated and parts plated/polished so that I can put the whole kart together and put it on the track to make sure that I don't need to re-position anything and drill holes or do welding.  Once I've sorted out these karts, then I will pull them apart for paint/powder coat/polishing etc., and then re-assemble for showing for a year.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
I plan on running an outboard clutch. Here is a rough picture of what looks to be ok. I don't have the base mount so I would actually have some lateral adjustment to move everything out if I did. I would like to keep the sprocket hub outboard the frame for easy chain access. From the side of the mount to the sprocket center is about 2 1/2 inches.

The mounts are great Ted! I got in a hurry painting this one so it has a sag in it. But so does my original so no big deal.

Thanks for the input guys.

(08-12-2017, 01:34 PM)Brad Rose Wrote: I plan on running an outboard clutch. Here is a rough picture of what looks to be ok. I don't have the base mount so I would actually have some lateral adjustment to move everything out if I did. I would like to keep the sprocket hub outboard the frame for easy chain access. From the side of the mount to the sprocket center is about 2 1/2 inches.

The mounts are great Ted! I got in a hurry painting this one so it has a sag in it. But so does my original so no big deal.

Thanks for the input guys.

Brad I sent you a pm. jim
Brad, it really doesn't matter whether the sprocket is inboard or outboard of the frame, so long as the chain clears the frame by 3/8" or so. When it begins to "walk around" from cornering, chain flex, Etc., you don't want it to be able to touch the frame. A lot of us like our engines centered in the rear end. We just think it makes for better ba1ance and handling. As you can see from the pic, the n1ke is centered. When the chain is adjusted, you don't want to be able to move it fore and aft more than about 3/4"-1", measured at half the distance from where it comes off the clutch sprocket, to where it engages the axle sprocket. Modern space chain is pretty "loosie-goosie", and it can move from side to side a bit under cornering stress. TJ

Thanks for the tips Ted!

I have a center bearing support on this kart so I would have to work around it to put the motor in the center. I would have to check the frame clearence under the mount to see if I could straddle the center support. It would make for a more balanced kart.
Here is a full picture of the rear.

Brad, looks like a near thing whether or not the mount could straddle that center bar. Of course, you know that all we have to do is add 3/8" or so to the legs on your mount and cut another one! File's still here.... Ted
Looks like it clears by about an 1/8 inch. I think for now I'm going to the right side with it. I could always change it later.

Another question for you Ted. Do you use a castle nut or a nylon insert lock nut on all of your axles?