Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ebay Caretta "Rant" oh well !
You can blame Dom, since he finds these Caretta's wherever they're lurking, my "Rant" is how do these sellers get 
a Caretta in the first place and have no idea that they are Caretta's in the second place .

The seller thinks he has a Vintage "Dart Kart" for sale !

" Dart Go Kart Mid 60's with Mcullagh engine and aluminum seat gas tank."   NOT !

Of course on closer inspection, you find the condition of the Caretta is very bad.....but since many of us "lust"
for a Historic Ingels/Borelli original Kart, we have to decide if the asking price is worthy of the chase ?

For me this Caretta cloaked in Dart listing and being on the west coast is tempting, but if I asked Enzo, "What do you think ? "

I'm sure he would say, "Don't bring it over here for me to restore"......Ooops !

According to Dom ....Caretta's of this vintage are pretty straight forward construction, but ask someone who's had to
bring one back from the black hole......to do it as they deserve.....it's not for anyone but a super restorer......and when you finished the restoration how much cash or sweat equity is truly involved ?

This Dart/Caretta needs to find a new home, but are you ready for the effort ?  

Vintage restorations it's all about the passion, it's not an investment .....unless you just have to have a Caretta !

Heart

In case you are in for the chase ....the one on ebay is the maroon looking piece.....be careful !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

is the maroon Caretta really in that bad a shape?
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
It's not in bad shape if you want to hang it up as a "Wall K-Art", needs new front axle, bad braces removed, the extra seat tubes removed, plus one side tube is cracked, after all paint is striped away you can see the true condition and see how tweaked the chassis is .

I'll post the images that show visual damage, but I feel it needs structural as well as cosmetic restoration.....not even sure it retains correct motor mounts .

Because it's a Caretta , valued higher on the Vintage scale of desirable early racing karts, it needs quality repair work and restored back to original specs as manufactured .

I don't see any Caretta badge, but it may be painted over ?

It has been treated, in my opinion, as just  another old kart, it does have a Mac for power attached, but like the chassis
it's most likely in need too of a major overhaul .

Caretta's are not rare, but some of us would like to have one in our K-Art collection ....so it comes down to supply and demand at the moment plus who you know or your own skill level and available restoration time to finish it.

Another Ooops, steering wheel is very wrong, has a Dart type front bumper added and is bent, and the original pedals are missing with very wrong replacement pedals set back for a short driver.

So for a starting bid of $1200 + charges for crating, handling and shipping......it's going to cost a bunch to become the next
person to acquire this Caretta ......most likely this seller was not ready to take on the project ......and doesn't even list it as
a Caretta.......old karts = $$$= get all you can just because there is interest in Vintage vehicles .

The sad part of desiring these early Racing Karts is that you can buy a Vintage kart like my K&P Bug that will run rings around an expensive restored Caretta ( for reasonable dollars ) and just go race with out doing any restoration .

(08-09-2017, 04:52 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: You can blame Dom, since he finds these Caretta's wherever they're lurking, my "Rant" is how do these sellers get 
a Caretta in the first place and have no idea that they are Caretta's in the second place .

The seller thinks he has a Vintage "Dart Kart" for sale !

" Dart Go Kart Mid 60's with Mcullagh engine and aluminum seat gas tank."   NOT !

Of course on closer inspection, you find the condition of the Caretta is very bad.....but since many of us "lust"
for a Historic Ingels/Borelli original Kart, we have to decide if the asking price is worthy of the chase ?

For me this Caretta cloaked in Dart listing and being on the west coast is tempting, but if I asked Enzo, "What do you think ? "

I'm sure he would say, "Don't bring it over here for me to restore"......Ooops !

According to Dom ....Caretta's of this vintage are pretty straight forward construction, but ask someone who's had to
bring one back from the black hole......to do it as they deserve.....it's not for anyone but a super restorer......and when you finished the restoration how much cash or sweat equity is truly involved ?

This Dart/Caretta needs to find a new home, but are you ready for the effort ?  

Vintage restorations it's all about the passion, it's not an investment .....unless you just have to have a Caretta !

Heart

In case you are in for the chase ....the one on ebay is the maroon looking piece.....be careful !

as for being careful
has anyone been watching the Mac for sale on ebay $379 no carburetor or manifold has a Horstman clutch
part of the housing on top is broken off on top the guy doesn't know what model it is any ideas ??? looks like
one of those storage unit finds
Richard,
Yep !  Know what you are buying first and it's true condition before handing over your cash or bidding .

As to this Caretta looking kart, where are the side panels with louvers, um' ?

Is it a live axle or a dead axle, looks to be dead to me ?

Are the Go Power wheels in usable condition ?  

If it's a dead axle kart, does another brake exist under the engine mount side ?

The seat back upholstery shown looks more like it came off a GK 800, so what are you getting for your money here ?

If the price was right, this mystery machine might make a fun restoration for someone willing to put the effort and cash into the project, but for those wanting a piece of Caretta history......this kart might be a disappointment .

On the other hand the journey to discovery may be just what some vintage fabricator is looking for......the auction ends soon.....so will it get a bid or  two......?

I think I'll be watching to see if it shows up on craigslist, if it does there's several kart flippers in the area who would pick it up.......Big Grin

Just for those that feel this old kart restoring is the way to go, watch this series of Videos with Steve Welte explaining
why they decided it wasn't the way they were headed and a bit of how to's on what they now do to go Vintage Racing.

My point is maybe the only good in buying an old worn out chassis is to use it to clone a runner kart for Vintage Racing, which is not always the destination that many go when being involved in this hobby .

Anyway Steve has a good point of view if you enjoy the racing part of Vintage Karting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v7T__PmkYM
Follow up :  Someone decided to bid with a few seconds left.....so I hope it finds a new owner that treats it well !

Or there maybe some parts that will see new life Big Grin  if purchased for it's bones ?

Huh .......Just when I thought this tale was a done deal.....this Caretta Clone is on LA craigslist.....drum roll please

....now listed as a Caretta not an early Dart !  Same price as on ebay .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sn...52107.html

Also has some better condition pictures in case it's still for sale.....I noticed one of the rear Go Powers is chipped on the rim...oops . The rear axle needs to be replaced, along with the front .....maybe the seller is ready to wheel and deal now ?

Is this a Caretta original, a kit cart or a Clone from the era ?   The saga continues .

Here's an original that Dom had restored .....a dead axle model......and he sold it to get a later Vintage Caretta !

I asked the seller for some history on this kart, but the only reply I received was it had been sold .
(08-13-2017, 08:05 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: I asked the seller for some history on this kart, but the only reply I received was it had been sold .

It's not Caretta, homemade.