Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VKA Brodhead Dual Rear Race Video
Terry Ives, the Nagels, Steve and I, Jim Merritt, Tom Day, Scott Klingler, Marshall Fairman.  C-Opens in the front, B-Opens following.  Good racing all weekend: 

https://youtu.be/sFq25raWgoQ

Race #2, more Brodhead action, compilation of 3 cameras. https://youtu.be/Qai_vgTFhQU

And Race #3, compilation of 3 cameras, National Anthem by one of the karters, champagne to the winners of B & C opens.
https://youtu.be/xNeD4xOTGug
Good action; good sounds. Congrats on the film work! TJ
(08-04-2017, 07:50 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Good action; good sounds. Congrats on the film work! TJ

Thanks Ted.  We had fun participating and putting this together.  Awesome group of racers in the duals.
Sure wish you and Steve could get out to the BIG Tucson track for Dean Kanocz' November run. The turnout probably won't match Brodhead, but the track is one of the best and smoothest big tracks in the West. Some of the TX crowd will be here, as well as those from AZ, NM and some from CA. I hope our friend from Idaho can make it as well. It's been a long time since I saw the two of you in person!
As far as Brodhead, you ran very well indeed. I'm not the driver you are, but I sure like a dual. I haven't run one since 2010. Ted
It could have been better, it was still cool. Brodhead had 85 race entries, probably well into the low 100s practiced.

Steve's dual ran flawlessly. My double trouble lived up to the moniker. All of our problems were on my kart. Ignition issues on the left engine, it would occasionally stay spooled up and engaging the clutch in some corners when you wanted it to roll and disengage. We got it straightened out for the third race. The right engine had carb issues and fuel pick up issues every race. We are pretty sure we know what to do to fix it now.

Going down the straight it would top out at 9200 rpm and that was it. It ran the infield incredibly, but was slow down the straight. So slow that it caught Jerry Nagel off guard, he was like it was like you suddenly lost the engine at end of the straight, but then you would take off and I could not catch you through the infield.

Duals are fun, but if you want to run fast, they are a handful and a workout. Race #1 is probably my favorite race of the season thus far. We'll run them again at Rock Island and Delmar, and dad is taking his to Quincy.

One day we'll maybe have to go west instead of east.
Are you running PVL ignition? I've yet to have one fail. My last dual was the two Bonbright 610's on the Van Tech. I had alky Mikunis on them, and didn't get them right. I wish it'd had dual alky HL's on them. The steering wheel on the Van Tech sits too low for my tummy, so I gave up on the kart and like a fool, sold the engines. My pal, Charlie has the kart now with twin Mc7's on it. The only time he's run it was at Brodhead, but he was feeling a bit woozy, and didn't run too many laps. The Photon's set up with frame tabs for a single centered engine, or two engines inside the frame rails. Maybe one day! Ted
(08-05-2017, 08:19 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Are you running PVL ignition? I've yet to have one fail. My last dual was the two Bonbright 610's on the Van Tech. I had alky Mikunis on them, and didn't get them right. I wish it'd had dual alky HL's on them. The steering wheel on the Van Tech sits too low for my tummy, so I gave up on the kart and like a fool, sold the engines. My pal, Charlie has the kart now with twin Mc7's on it. The only time he's run it was at Brodhead, but he was feeling a bit woozy, and didn't run too many laps. The Photon's set up with frame tabs for a single centered engine, or two engines inside the frame rails. Maybe one day! Ted

Yea its one of our US Motor Power 820s with the PVL.  It would go complete maverick on us.  Changed out the ignition everything worked.  Prior to that there was no shutting it down until you pinched the fuel line.  Choking, kill switch, pulling the plug wire, none would shut if off, almost like it was dieseling.  The other engine was one of our modified Benders kind of like a Bonbright.  Dual 820s are super torquey.
I've only run dual 820's a couple times in the past. They were S&S Oil (Dick Collier) engines on Dick Wyatt's Lancer. I was running triple Macs on my GK 1200 at the time. I actually had more dig out of the corners than Dick did, but he was faster on the long Checker Kart Track straight. I think we'd have been even had I had time to play with gearing at Checker. We ran the same at our local Rockledge, FL short track. The triples made the front end real light with direct drive! I got tired of "Whoever starts in front wins the race", so I went back to B Super with the dual modified Mc30's. Ted